Should I get a Warranty on a used '09 Jetta?

cope43

TDI
2009 Jetta
It is a 2009 Jetta TDI with 75,000 miles, and the dealership offered us a 3 year/36,000 mile extended warranty for $3000. My wife will put at least 20,000 miles a year on it commuting. The warranty coverage is pretty good for almost all mechanical and non mechanical issues. What should I do????

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
NO wasted money. Here is a hint for you: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

Find a GURU and use him. Get parts from TDIclub vendors.. Why note that there are NO pop ups and ads we, the members and vendors, support this site.

You have just made the right decision to join TDIclub. Your Jetta is NOT a corolla TDIs are different but better. They als require you to do maint on time. Your prob here is that just hope the prev owner did all the right oil changes.

You have a lot of reading to do here.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Put the $3K in a special account to use just in case repairs are needed. It's still your $$$ that way. Most often these "warranties" don't pay for themselves.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Definitely DON'T do the warranty (which it isn't, BTW). Highway robbery (literally) at it's most blatent.

Do what has been suggested -- put $3K away for a repair and maintenance fund.