Difficulty shifting into Reverse gear after gear swap

jeromec

TDI
81 Kw,2002, Silver
Good Day

I have a 2002 A4 Golf IV 1.9 110 Hp TDI 5 Speed. 123 000 Km

pp520's, 0.68 5 th

I have extreme difficulty shifting into reverse gear. I have to select gear 5 first before reverse can engage. The selector moves easily at the gearbox end - I have applied grease, leading me to think that there are some bushes or something under the gear stick that could be the problem.

I changed my gear 5 form 0.754 to 0.681 and now when I engage 5 and tap on the fuel the leaver kicks back say 3~5 mm. Take your leg off the gas & leaver returns to normal engaged position.

Please assist. Thank you in advance

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I can share my very limited experience from last week. I replaced a broken shift lever on mine. The Bentley indicated two different adjustments if the gears don't engage smoothly. One is on the outboard link (cable?) that controls front to back range of motion. The other one I didn't have apart, but I assume it's on the inboard which controls up and down range of motion.
hth

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
I also have the .681 5th gear in mine. I did not notice any change in reverse or the other gears when I did my swap. However, mine has always been very hard to get into and out of reverse, especially when cold. It is still the same after the gear swap. Just a thought, are you sure you put the correct fluid back in? An incorrect fluid could make the shifting harder. Good luck on finding your problem. If it ends up being a cable adjustment, I might try adjusting mine to make it easier than it currently is. Let us know your resoulution.

TW

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Adjust the cables and reset the shifter. Follow Bentleys procedure.