TDI vacation house car

AMcA

TDI
Audi A8
I have an 80,000 mile A8 TDI. I’m thinking of using at it my house in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The car would get a couple months use in summer, and maybe a month in the winter.

What does the forum think of this? Would it be reliable if driven that little? Any suggestions on storage in the off months? Or is this just a bad idea?

Any and all comments welcome!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Should be fine. Storage wouldn't be any different from any other car. Only thing I worry about is furry creatures chewing on things.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Disconnect the battery
throw some anti-gel in the fuel
moth balls under the hood if it sits out side.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Disconnect the battery
throw some anti-gel in the fuel
moth balls under the hood if it sits out side.

If it is going to sit outside a solar panel trickle charger will keep the battery just fine. No need to disconnect it this way.

Have Fun!

Don

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Agree on the mothballs. I purchased my brother's 03 Jetta in November of 2017. It sit parked until January, 2019. I did not start it during that time due to a leaky Injection Pump that would lose prime in 24 hours.

Anyway, in January, 2019, when I went to do the IP re-seal, I discovered that critters had done a lot of wiring damage under the hood.... mothballs would have discouraged those critters.... works fine under the hood on my 98 Dodge Truck.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
And don't leave salt on the brake rotors when you're ready to leave in the winter. That would leave you with nasty rotors when you get back. Otherwise, do as above for the battery.

In general, your inclinations are right. A diesel is the best ever for leaving a car for long periods of time and having it fire right up when you return.

Cheers,

PH

AMcA

TDI
Audi A8
Does anyone have experience with getting an Audi serviced at a VW dealership? Nearest Audi dealer to Jackson Hole is Salt Lake City, 250+ miles away. Much closer: the VW dealer in Idaho Falls, a mere 99 miles away.

Anyone?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My father-in-law had a 1984 Mercedes 380 something-or-other which he purchased new in 1984.

It still ran exactly like new, with all original parts, and only had 48,000km (30,000 miles) on it in 2016 when he crashed it. It was like a brand new 32 year old Mercedes.

So he averaged about 937 miles per year and it did just fine.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Does anyone have experience with getting an Audi serviced at a VW dealership? Nearest Audi dealer to Jackson Hole is Salt Lake City, 250+ miles away. Much closer: the VW dealer in Idaho Falls, a mere 99 miles away. Anyone?

A hint for a NOOBIE, Don't hijack a thread with something not related to the subject on hand.
Start a NEW thread.