TDI in a Willys CJ

Todd J. Roach

TDI
None just starting to look
I'm in the process of building a 1946 Willys CJ. I'd like to install a diesel engine and a friend recommended a 1.9 TDI. I'd like one with a mechanical pump as I'm building the Jeep from scratch. Any advise would be appreciated.

Also who makes an adapter that would let me use my SM465 transmission. I know it's a lot of transmission for the engine,but I already have it.

Finally, what does a TDI weigh? Thanks Todd

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Should be an interesting project, here there isn't a TDI with a mechanical pump, but you can get a mechanical pump for it we call them the M-TDI. Contact Scott DeWitt for a price.

I'm not exactly sure of the weights of the engines, I'd recommend going with a ALH engine I think it weighs around 285 lbs. Someone else could probably give a more exact weight. I know that my PD130 weighs considerably less than the 5 cyl that I took out of my 80 due to the 1&1/2 inches of increased ride height in the front :)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I may want to do this as well. Very tentative project. So I am subscribing.

I too would look at the ALH, as a first option. I would probably use a walbro or similar electric pump to supply the injection pump. It would probably work fine without it, but you might want to put it in a situation where the tank was considerably downhill from the injection pump.

You basically need a donor car, then part it out when you are done with it. Say a 98 to 2003 New Beetle, or 99.5 to 2003 Jetta or Golf.

Todd J. Roach

TDI
None just starting to look
TDI Willys Jeep conversion

Any thoughts on a transmission/transfercase to use with the TDI in the Willys Jeep? Someone recommended one from a Toyota truck. Any thoughts on which one would be best? I was thinking one from an S10. I'd like a 5 speed. Also anyone know who makes an adapter that would work with either transmission?
Everyone says my SM465/NP205 is way to heavy to use behind the TDI. Thanks Todd

Spulen81

Veteran Member
The Toyota R151F is the strongest one and has a nice 4.31 first gear. ACME adapters (.com) makes an adapter and flywheel making it a bolt on. The R151F is from the late 80s turbo trucks, V6 trucks have an R150 which is much easier to find but won't work with the ACME adapter. The R151F is also coupled to a gear drive transfercase. Both are pretty robust have have great aftermarket support. There are t-case doublers, gears, twin sticks and much more out there. The only issue is that the t-case is a passenger side drop. You might be able to use a later tacoma trans also with drivers side drop, but I'm not sure on that.

djdaniel

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen (waiting for price info)
Sounds like a great project

I have a 99 2.5L Wrangler TJ that gets 17 MPG - will want to convert to TDI - :) I would like to keep up with your progress. Best of luck