View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2019, 07:48   #13
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I do think the 6sp does not tolerate DMF to SMF conversions very well, though. I have never done one, but that seems to be the consensus. And they do seem to have some slave cylinder failures which require gearbox removal, but that is nothing "new". That transmission was in use long before the CR TDIs came around. I just did one of those on a 2003 NB turbo S. The "GTI" of NBs, with the 180hp 1.8t. Still made it to 200k miles, though, so not too shabby.
The SMF is a big problem. The syncros are not tolerating them like the old 5sp cars. The trans itself is OK but not the steel syncros. One of the NMS guys rebuilt his twice and ditched the SMF and went back DMF. There have been a bunch more people recently on the other forums wishing they never did a SMF after similar failures.

When I was researching power adders, I believe it was the CR170 based kit from tunemyeuro? - the manual trans cars were getting a lower tune since they couldn't hold the power. If I'm going to do it - it'll be all out.

I also just saw someone swap in a 5sp to a CR (from a dead DSG) so they could run a SMF.

Page generated in 0.06391 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.81 Kb. compressed to 15.19 Kb. by saving 1.61 Kb. (9.60%)]