Alternator issues

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
My 2001 Jetta ALH has an issue that’s confusing me. I had an alternator go out last week. Wasn’t charging at all. I ordered a replacement (remanufactured not the $600+ from VW), than pulled the old one out. Found the clutch sprigs had failed. I operated under that assumption and completed the swap. The new alternator is charging at 13.5-14.3 but when you are driving the battery light will flash twice and then go off...wash, rinse and repeat. No codes in memory and I’m waiting for my PC to update so I can use my VAGCOM to see what might be available to look at with it. Anybody have any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Make sure the grounds are clean, and that the alternator fuse on top of the battery isn't loose or the housing melted. Just a start.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
What's the part provenance? Just had a thread, fellow user bought a re-manufactured Bosch, had to replace it right away.

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
Nero Morg, I found all grounds are good, but one of the fuses in the 3 fuse cluster atop the battery has a slightly scorched leg, but the actual fuse wasn't blown. The plastic has been hot and slightly melted. I swapped in a fresh fuse and the condition persists. Do you have any other suggestions I might pursue?

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
BobnOH, I got it (Bosch reman.) from Auto Zone. I guess that might be why it has a lifetime warranty...but only a 3 time replacement! The odd thing about it is that it's still putting out 14+ VDC even when the light pulses...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
remanufactured not the $600+ from VW
here is your problem, you dont NEED to do this, you can easily rebuild them with OEM parts and you will have a cheap OEM or better part. No reman on this face of this earth is worth the 30% gable if its good or not. CV axles, and calipers are the worst offenders. but alts take up 3rd. quality control is going down the drain even for OEM bosch now. Keep your old one and rebuild it for about $40 to $60 and about a day of time.

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
Well, Mongler I already turned in my core...that sucks. Just the clutch Sprag/Pulley is $115 +++ from the dealership. of course.

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
Alright, buying an alternator from Auto Zone and getting one that's less skookum than the dealership model not withstanding, what is making the battery light flash only when the RPMs are above 2000? The alternator is producing 13+ VDC even when the light flashes. I'm very tempted to just say FIDO...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The thing does a bit more than just make volts. The car expects certain operation in various conditions. So of course any wire/connector/sensor or switch could be at fault, just need to track it down, no small task. You do know it was all working before the old one crapd out. You could just get another from AZ.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Well, Mongler I already turned in my core...that sucks. Just the clutch Sprag/Pulley is $115 +++ from the dealership. of course.
call them up, it might still be in the back room, they dont ship them out for a while usually.
IMHO i would trade it back in and get your $$$ back and rebuild it. Price out the parts first though.

ScottSwee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon MKIV
I just went through the same thing. Had a alternator clutch going out and decided it has 200k miles on it so I might as well replace it. Picked up abosch reman at oreileys and installed it. 400 miles later my lights are pulsing and my battery light is flashing on and off. Pulled it and checked everything 3 times also took it back to oreileysand they said it’s fine. I had no charging or electrical problems before. I ordered one from a vendor idparts and installed it and have been fine since.

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
Well, if AZ has my core I’ll get it back and possibly the $100 clutch kit from VW. Since it is charging, I guess I’ll just fix the original one and run this one until it dies...got 3 no questions asked replacements...
Thanks for the help, y’all.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
csstevej,
I will be ordering the pulley and tool from them if they will give me my core back at AZ. Thanks for the heads up! Between IDParts and Diesel Geek I may be able to keep my old girl in tip-top, just got a '03 NB TDI for my daughter...got it as a non-runner, we have a laundry list on it but hopefully we can work through all of the issues with good parts/tools and advice. Again, thanks for the assistance.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol no problem , my daughters 03 had a right front fender bender and a slipped timing belt when I got it.
I got it when she was 16, spent about 8 months scavenging parts, painting a used front to match her color and various up grades to her car before I gave it to her...... she’s now 21 and has put 50,xxx miles on it since.

I put in a 2” lift.
ASR
New stereo with hands free driving and speakers.
New headliner
New TB kit
A good used head.
Upgraded emergency brake cables
Malone eco tune with dynamic idle and egr delete.
And a few others.
plus it’s a 5 speed that people can’t believe that she drives , best thing is ......none of her friends, guys or girls know how to drive a manual .��

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I was gonna say "the clutch is well under $100 from the usual vendors here" 'cause I've changed one myself..... the tool bits to do it aren't very expensive either, assuming you don't know anyone who has them in their toolbox.

ScottSwee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon MKIV
Idparts is great. I order most everything from them. Wish I would have ordered my alternator from them originally instead of O’reilys.

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
alternator issue

While driving to work the other day the car made a horrible thumping sound and quit. Had it towed , then after removing all the crappy plastic panels found that the alternator pulley had come of the alternator. So I replaced the alternator with a new one and a new belt and now the car will not start? :mad:
What the heck is going on?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
While driving to work the other day the car made a horrible thumping sound and quit. Had it towed , then after removing all the crappy plastic panels found that the alternator pulley had come of the alternator. So I replaced the alternator with a new one and a new belt and now the car will not start? :mad:
What the heck is going on?
You should start your own thread for this. Will it crank?

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
cranks like crazy just no fire. sorry I saw the alternator issue and just got on.

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
I got the old alternator back from AZ, and got the pulley/sprag from IDParts. I had to get a second reman BOSCH from AZ before my pulley came in, so I have to assume it will work as it did originally. Luckily I have it sitting on the shelf and my daughter’s 02 Beetle has the same ALH engine so if hers fails I have one to swap in immediately. Thanks for the help and suggestions CSSTEVEJ!

Last edited:

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
Ive been running this second reman unit from Auto Zone for several months now. It’s plugging right along. Thanks for all of the help, suggestions and assistance with finding the right parts to fix my old stuff!