Diesel Additive

valtdiesel

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Does anyone know what the best diesel additive around here is?
I've read the Opti-Lube xpd is good. Just don't know if its available around??:confused:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I've read the Opti-Lube xpd is good. Just don't know if its available around??:confused:
They have a few dealers, but most people have to order it direct form the company. I have no idea how much shipping would be to Canada, but the shipping is cheaper when you buy larger quantities. I would go to their website and then call or email them and see if they have any Canadian dealers. It might save you some money on shipping.

http://opti-lube.com/

Have Fun!

Don

HOOPER65

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD TDI GOLF
http://www.powerservice.com/dk/

This one is what I use and seems to be well used by others on here.
Hillcrest VW even sold it before Canadian Tire picked it up.
Look for it there at CT - it even goes on sale now & then :)

-

thanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
They have a few dealers, but most people have to order it direct form the company. I have no idea how much shipping would be to Canada, but the shipping is cheaper when you buy larger quantities. I would go to their website and then call or email them and see if they have any Canadian dealers. It might save you some money on shipping.

http://opti-lube.com/

Have Fun!

Don

x2. I bought two gallons a year ago, cost me $130 or $150, I don't remember. Great stuff though!

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
What function is needed above and beyond the standard package that comes from your local fuel supply?
I, for the most part, agree. I used to run Power Service religiously and I did feel the car ran smoother. Granted, washing the car makes it feel faster too. PS is supposed to keep the deposits to a minimum but as long as you're running good fuel like Irving's Clean Diesel, I have yet to see an unacceptable amount on anything I've worked on anyway. I stopped using it years ago.

HOOPER65

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD TDI GOLF
I, for the most part, agree. I used to run Power Service religiously and I did feel the car ran smoother. Granted, washing the car makes it feel faster too. PS is supposed to keep the deposits to a minimum but as long as you're running good fuel like Irving's Clean Diesel, I have yet to see an unacceptable amount on anything I've worked on anyway. I stopped using it years ago.
... cant really argue with that, - I put PS in if " ... I remember " .

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
For those of you who use an additive, how do you add it? I'm sure I pour in far more than necessary each time.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
For those of you who use an additive, how do you add it? I'm sure I pour in far more than necessary each time.
I put it into pre-measured small bottles. Then when I fill my tank, I pour in the additive first. This ensures that the additive is thoroughly mixed with the fuel. The biggest issue for most is finding the small bottles. There are several threads here about that.

Have Fun!

Don

thanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
What function is needed above and beyond the standard package that comes from your local fuel supply?
Especially in the new CR diesels, lubricity is a big concern due to common rail direct injection, with the HPFP being lubricated by the fuel itself. Failures in the US market are actually quite common, and can cost 15-18K (that number, the high one.. that came from an NS dealer) as the whole fuel system is thrashed as the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) basically disintegrates and floods the system with metal filings.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

That's why I use XPD.

@Fyrman... you have PD TDi so it's not really a concern for you but for those of us with newer diesels it's something we need to be more careful with.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Especially in the new CR diesels, lubricity is a big concern due to common rail direct injection, with the HPFP being lubricated by the fuel itself. Failures in the US market are actually quite common, and can cost 15-18K (that number, the high one.. that came from an NS dealer) as the whole fuel system is thrashed as the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) basically disintegrates and floods the system with metal filings.
From what I have read, there has been only 3 or 4 CDN vehicles with the HPFP failure. Our fuel in Canada is lightyears better than the US fuel.
That being said, a little extra additive won't hurt, and will most likely keep you that much safer (from HPFP failure).

thanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI
What CLever said...

If it truly was an issue, there'd be more of an issue about it.

...and I don't have a PD.
My apologies on the PD.

With the "issue about it"... it's a more prominent problem in the US, granted. That doesn't mean it can't / won't happen here if you get some bad fuel. My luck is the poops, so I'm being safer than sorry.

In any case, aside from increased lubricity, I notice better cold-weather fuel economy, as well as fewer regen cycles using the Optilube XPD. Warm weather fuel economy may be better but there' hasn't been enough where I've paid attention to notice though I averaged 58 mpg on the way home from work the other day, which was nice :)

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
current 2011 Jetta,(ret)01' Jetta TDI (ret) 92' Golf Diesel
I use PS. I use a measuring funnel. Its got a twist valve on the bottom. Just measure, stick hose where it belongs and twist....could make a good beer bong!

Any way, ya can find it at wal-mart.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
http://optilubecanada.com/Opti-LubeProducts.html

Found this Canadian site for Opti-Lube products. E-mailed Bruce and he said they will ship anywhere in Canada. They need to update their website on that. The site doesn't have the capability to order XPD on line. I believe you have to call them or e-mail. I can get Power Service Diesel Kleen from Canadian Tire but from all that I've read Opti-Lube XPD seems to be a better choice. But thats a personnel opinion.

Last edited:

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I just bought some Opti-Lube XPD yesterday for the first time.

Turns out their distributer for Canada is here in Edmonton. I just dropped by his shop and picked up a liter. Nice guy...really into his vehicles. Owns two semis and a few other vehicles. Seems down to earth, and full of good info.

Bruce Dundas
optilubecanada@gmail.com

I'm trying it out in my 2001. I'm always skeptical...but the reviews are good...so we'll see how it goes.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Janushwang...I just noticed your sig. This is a bit off topic....but is it your actuator that's rusted? (The thing that's attached to the turbo...looks like a metal rod with a plastic ball at one end.)

Last time I checked, one of those is about $100...or you can put something like PKBlaster or WD40 on the existing one to loosen the rust.

Having the turbo running will drastically improve your power. Plus you car is probably running in limp mode permanently....which means it's not running optimally.

Although there are ways to tune the car to run without the turbo and get better fuel mileage...according to a post by Drivbiwire. I can't find the post...but you could ask him about it...if you are interested in doing that change.

As for additives. I'm pretty sure that almost any common diesel additive is better than none. But whether or not the benefits will be noticeable is debatable. I've used a few and have never noticed any changes that I could definitely say were due to the additive.

Although newer model VWs would probably benefit more from additives that increase lubricity.

Since using Opti-Lube XPD my 2001 TDI does "seem" to run a bit better. It seems to have more spunk, and it seems to start better too.
I've been tracking my mileage since I bought the car. If I see that go up then I'll be convinced that the additive is actually doing something that I haven't noticed other additives do. :)

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=45

how do you guys think about this one?
I've used Stanadyne since 2006 (Performance & Lubricity formula) - no issues with the additive or my fuel system. And as others have said I have no reference point b/c I've always used it. And, it is an endless debate which additive is better - but as That Guy said - any additive is better than none. For the $1 or $2 per tank I view it as cheap insurance.....

Janushwang

TDI
2003 Beetle 1.9 TDI
Hey THat Guy, I bought a new actuator and installed. my next appointment is for a full set of injector nozzle upgrade. and i bought the stanadyne which is OEM additive. I will try the additive next fuel-up.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
For those in Canada, there was a new Federal law that came into effect on July 1, 2011 that requires all diesel fuel in Canada to have a minimum of 5% bio-diesel product mixed into the fuel. Depending where you live in Canada, there might be a grace period before this is in effect. Either way, with this now in effect, there wouldn't be a need to use any additives.

HOOPER65

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD TDI GOLF
For those in Canada, there was a new Federal law that came into effect on July 1, 2011 that requires all diesel fuel in Canada to have a minimum of 5% bio-diesel product mixed into the fuel. Depending where you live in Canada, there might be a grace period before this is in effect. Either way, with this now in effect, there wouldn't be a need to use any additives.
” there wouldn't be a need to use any additives.“

John - can you better explain that comment ?

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
” there wouldn't be a need to use any additives.“

John - can you better explain that comment ?
If you scroll through this forum posting, which i found the link to by going on the OptiLube website, you will see that the best additive for lubrication is BIO. It is #1 on the list. This was an independent study done by members on the dieselplace forum.

Janushwang

TDI
2003 Beetle 1.9 TDI
If you scroll through this forum posting, which i found the link to by going on the OptiLube website, you will see that the best additive for lubrication is BIO. It is #1 on the list. This was an independent study done by members on the dieselplace forum.

as my understanding, the performance formula of additive is not carrying any lubrication function. check http://www.stanadyne.com/docs/puba/99549 Additive Bbrochure rev 1-11.pdf

thanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen TDI

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Just noticed the WagJag for today was for Fuel Conditioner (including diesels) in a tablet form. They say there's no chemicals or petroleum products in it and is a 100% organic, biodegradable, non-toxic material. Is it too good to be true? I won't try it, but will continue to use my big jug of Power Service till it's all gone, then I'll re-think the whole additive thing.
Here's the company's link: http://www.can-ad.com/ and a brief blurb:

CAN-AD works because the continuously cleaning fuel system and the supplied oxygen cause better combustion in the engine. This means that more power is extracted during combustion and that fewer carbon particles pass through. This, in turn, means lower fuel consumption and fewer exhaust emissions. Which, if you havent put it together already, save you money and earns you brownie points with Mother Nature. Visit the website to find out more detailed information about what CAN-AD is and how it works.

dubdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Hi all. I know I'm not seen much opn here....basically because I'm still in the "Dark Ages" with my 2.0 IDI. Additives have been a real issue for me, since the new ULSD diesel fuel has no lubricity for my old mechanical pump and also has a lower cetane rating, or so I've heard. The guys are right, in that the PD has no issues, and I suspect it was developed for this very reason.
I've tried most that are readily available and, for me, the Stanadyne Performance additive is the best working. I add 3 oz to each fill and have had very few issues as a result.