Deer kill...and maybe passat

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Well last Friday I had the misfortune of a flipping deer come into the path of my 2005 Passat. The insurance company has eyeballed it and called it a total.

So then I would have to shell out some more money to get it back on the road.

I'd like any of your input before I make a decision. I have until the end of the week. It sits in my garage right now.

It has a dieselgeek skid plate, all new brakes. decent tires. Balance shaft done by Oilhammer. But of course insurance doesn't give a ding about that.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Sorry to hear. :( I don't have a suggestion as I would be torn as well wondering what I would replace it with.

Good Luck!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Post some pictures. I have fixed quite a few "deer totals" over the years. Often times it is not too bad if it is just the crunchy bits and you can sourced used parts (sometimes even in the same color!)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Tough choice. If the damage is cosmetic, getting a front clip from a clean black car, even if you have to have it shipped in from a non-salt state, may be worthwhile.

If not, it's not a bad time to look for a '15 Jetta TDI if you want another sedan. And you'd have the opportunity to get back into a manual transmission if that's what you want.

Sorry this happened. You've taken such good care of that car, and it looked perfect at last year's Fest. This is my fear, that some kind of accident will ultimately take out IBW.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
When I had my 2002 Jetta it had three separate deer incidents. Damage in each one was mainly cosmetic such as fenders, headlights and hood. Last one was worst hit - as it was 13 years old with 294K insurance wanted to total it. I bought it back and sold it to a friend who fixed it up so it's still going strong today. My friend is handy and can do bodywork so for him the only cost was replacement parts, paint and his time.

I did not have the time, space or motivation to fix it myself. Would not have been cost effective for me to have a shop fix it. Plus after all those years and miles I was ready for a change since it was on the small size being an A4. I'm happy with the 2014 Passat I have now which has loads more room.

Do what feels right to you. I agree that the timing belt and unknown remaining transmission life would be a consideration in deciding to keep/fix it. Did you have the balance shaft upgrade done on your engine? That would be another consideration. Last but not least - how much would a replacement B5.5 Passat TDI cost in your area? Know that is a long shot but if you can find one with low miles might be an option.

And I sympathize with you as I've been there three times already for deer damage. Best of luck to you and whatever you decide!

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Leicaman,
I was very much in your position just a few months ago, but not from a deer, but rather a wearing camshaft . My all black 2005 GLS TDI was in perfect condition with real leather, wood, etc. but I was told by the dealer that the engine stumbling was the result of a wearing camshaft, which would make it the second camshaft replacement at only 148,000 miles. I needed more reliable transportation, but I didn't want the expense of an extra car (if I kept my Passat). What to do? I found a "new" all black 2015 Jetta SEL TDI DSG here in Houston, TX at my local dealer and bought it with a great discount and 0% financing. I put my 2005 Passat TDI up for sale here on TDIClub and that famous auction site, with full disclosure of a wearing camshaft. Someone from Pennsylvania flew to Houston, bought it, and drove it back to PA with no engine issues. Go figure. That was the last I heard. I sold it for $1,500. The moral of the story is that you will find another car you like if you choose new - just start test driving some - gas and diesel. Honestly, I cannot tell my 2015 Jetta is a diesel. It drives and sounds like a gas engine. Alternatively, you can find a 2005 Passat in black somewhere for parts; you just need to look. However, I felt the same as you in that even after the balance shaft upgrade, rebuilt suspension, Panzer Plate, and lots and lots of new other parts, I still had the transmission to think about going bad, and every other thing I see posted here in the Club. I can't tell you how awesome it is to be driving something new with no miles and no worries, backed by a warranty. I treated myself to a satellite radio subscription and love the new tech on the new car (e.g. back up camera). One of your worst case scenarios is that you buy back your Passat, spend time and money repairing it, and then your transmission and whatever else still go bad (and they will eventually). You could easily be looking at $10,000 in repairs in the next 2 years, considering your current damage and the future repairs (tranny, etc.). In my opinion, a new car makes sense when you run the numbers and consider the reliability, technology, warranty, and feeling a new car brings. Having said all of that, I would have kept my 2005 Passat and fixed it if my wife was not as smart and gently convincing as she is. :) I still feel torn. Best wishes.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The parts that will need replacing include a hood, radiator support, ac condenser, headlight, grill, bumper cover, and other bits. The quote came in at $3,000 to fix. She does need a new throttle body due to a P2100 code. While I would not be afraid of fixing the old girl up, I am worried about the transmission. Every now and then shifts funny. I have had regular fluid replacement. I am thinking cutting my losses would be best. I need the car to be pretty reliable as I used this for work. Many times putting on a 100-150 miles in a day for work alone. The kid of driving I do on this car since 70 has been more start and stop as opposed to the first 70 where I drove the pants off it for long vacation trips. I have until Friday to wrap my head around this.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
How is the condition of the body? I ask since you are in Wisconsin where I believe the roads are salted in winter. If the undercarriage/body is still relatively rust free and you like the car fixing it may be way to go.

Don't know what to tell you on the transmission - how much would a rebuilt one go for? Factor that into the potential future cost should you keep it.

I also agree with fastcar4re's reasoning to replace it with a newer car. That was a factor for me in replacing my Jetta as well since it had 294K on it so I know some things would be needing repair or replacement. The new owner has had to replace the alternator and one driveshaft axle due to torn boot cover. Brake rotors and pads were also changed but those are normal wear items. Otherwise it's been going good for him and getting up to 315K miles at last report.

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
My Passat has 205,000 miles on it. My automatic transmission ate itself at 188,000. Richard at Coolair VW rebuilt it along with a new radiator as the trans cooler was full of metal shavings. I recommend walking away from your car as transmissions are not inexpensive. Sorry to hear about your car.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How is the condition of the body? I ask since you are in Wisconsin where I believe the roads are salted in winter. If the undercarriage/body is still relatively rust free and you like the car fixing it may be way to go.

Don't know what to tell you on the transmission - how much would a rebuilt one go for? Factor that into the potential future cost should you keep it.

I also agree with fastcar4re's reasoning to replace it with a newer car. That was a factor for me in replacing my Jetta as well since it had 294K on it so I know some things would be needing repair or replacement. The new owner has had to replace the alternator and one driveshaft axle due to torn boot cover. Brake rotors and pads were also changed but those are normal wear items. Otherwise it's been going good for him and getting up to 315K miles at last report.
Mine is pretty rust free. VW replaced a fender and the trunk lid under warranty. Will post images soon.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, you could likely find used bits and fix it for pretty cheap. Again, so long as the unibody rails are straight, which with deer hits even if you got one square on the bumper typically won't mess that up.

The only tricky spot is the leading edge of the inner fender up high, as that is the only spot that is not a simple bolt on item. But if it is just a little tweaked, you can bend them back into shape easily enough.

This T'reg was a deer hit:

You could not even tell it was ever wrecked afterwards.

The B5's whole front end easily comes off:

This car was "totalled" too:

And yet it is still on the road today, years later.

If you are interested in parting ways with it, let me know the final difference I may be interested. I'd need to see some pics though.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Leicaman,

Sorry about what happened. If your car's damage looks like the gray car in OH's post above, you definitely can fix that relatively easy.

The B5.5's are at a point where many are being junked. I was at my local pick a part wrecking yard the other day, and it has like 10 or so of these cars in inventory. So you should be able to find these used parts easy... and cheap too!

oilhammer

TDI
The B5s were pretty good sellers here (most of them were gasoline fueled of course) and they are often gluttons for poor care, hence the number of them in salvage yards.

I saved two 1.8t B5s last year from such a fate.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
At my local yard, they were all gassers. Not much B5.5 diesels here in Cali.
Lot of 1.8t's and some V6's. Wagons, sedans 5 speeds, automatics. Some I wondered what issue is because everything else were in quite good condition.... Until the vultures move in and tear into them...

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The B5s were pretty good sellers here (most of them were gasoline fueled of course) and they are often gluttons for poor care, hence the number of them in salvage yards.
I saved two 1.8t B5s last year from such a fate.
. Brian. Check your work mail.

oilhammer

TDI
Oh man, that would be an EASY fix. I could probably knock that out in a couple hours if I had the pieces, and since your car is black, finding the pieces would not be hard I wouldn't think.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I'd be buying this car back in a heartbeat!
From the looks of it, throw on a used black hood and a new aftermarket or used grill. Get some SEM bumper repair epoxy and make repairs to the cover if needed, and then get a used condenser.

oilhammer

TDI
New condensers are so cheap (less than $80) it is not even worth the effort to pull a used one. Unless you were buying the whole lock carrier assembly and it was a package deal.

Tough to say from the picture how much damage the carrier sustained, but I have fixed FAR worse.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like even if you don't want to keep it it's worth fixing and selling. I wonder if you could negotiate the max payout the insurance company would offer without totaling the car (usually it's 75% of the value) so you could avoid having a salvage title. That would help the resale value.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I need to buy a southern car, that thing looks so clean compared to what we have here!

Easy fix, should not be a write off unless there is more damage not shown like roof!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I need to buy a southern car, that thing looks so clean compared to what we have here!

Easy fix, should not be a write off unless there is more damage not shown like roof!
He's in Wisconsin. If you want a southern car you should come to Texas. Even rust doesn't rust down here.:D

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.

Damn. That's nothing. My son rear ended my B5 Variant 5 years ago, and I took the insurance payout and left the car with Chris Hill of Kraftwerke in Braintree. He found a W8 with a worthless motor but straight body panels. Replaced the bumper, hood, fenders, radiator, airbox, etc, ect. Frame stayed straight.
Finally drove it home from MA to NC, bought OEM W8 headlights from ECS and used the old ballast from the roller W8. Son used the car again, and hydrolocked it in Atlanta. Got Chrismak's car and manual transmission. Did the engine swap through vwztips, put the hydrolock motor in Chrismak's donor. Changed the oil 4 times, cleaned out the motor (turns out it had no bent rods). Sold Chrismak's shell with my motor to my brother in law who uses it as a daily driver.
Meanwhile, vwztips has changed out the tandem and lift pumps and injector seals. The Variant still runs like a top, gets 44 MPG.
At this point I'm just doing this for sport. I've got so much invested in this 287,000 mile car I'll have to drive it until the engine dies.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
OP's damage is less than the three different deer incidents I had with my Jetta. As others have said, this is an easy fix. Does sound like OP is looking for an excuse to dump it - if so, just make the decision and move on.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OP's damage is less than the three different deer incidents I had with my Jetta. As others have said, this is an easy fix. Does sound like OP is looking for an excuse to dump it - if so, just make the decision and move on.
Right now the insurance company has copies of the last two years of receipts. I refreshed the suspension, power steering rack, front and rear brakes along with normal maintenance. They may decide not to total it, and repair it instead. Of course we will find out Thursday.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Sounds like even if you don't want to keep it it's worth fixing and selling. I wonder if you could negotiate the max payout the insurance company would offer without totaling the car (usually it's 75% of the value) so you could avoid having a salvage title. That would help the resale value.
leicaman, Your car's damage looks really not bad. It would almost be a shame to total it and have a salvage title. IBW made a great suggestion that I would consider in this situation.