02J Transmission Fluid Type???

TDI
2003 VW ALH MK4 5 Speed
Looking to perform a transmission service on my 2003 VW Jetta GLS with the 02J transmission. I've been looking around, but I am having no luck finding any decent reviews. I live in upstate NY, right now it's 6 degrees out, so looking for the best fluid for better shifting during colder temperatures. I've only put a few thousands miles on the car since bought, but for piece of mind, I would like to change the fluid for my safe keeping. What do you guys use in your 02J 5-Speed transmissions during the winter months? Also, any recommendations for fluid during the warmer months of summer? Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I run the Motul brand 75w90 synthetic GL4 lube (OE spec). Seems to work fine for all the ones here. I started my car up this morning at 7 F, sitting outside, and drove off right away, and have never had any issues shifting.

All year round, hot, cold, towing, triple digit speeds :D , never a problem.

TDI
2003 VW ALH MK4 5 Speed
I run the Motul brand 75w90 synthetic GL4 lube (OE spec). Seems to work fine for all the ones here. I started my car up this morning at 7 F, sitting outside, and drove off right away, and have never had any issues shifting.

Thanks for the information. Have you ever ran Redline MTL Gear Oil? Its a GL-4 70W80? Think that is too much to run all season?

otm646

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 AHU Jetta.
What's wrong with the VW G070?

I've used G060 in the frozen MI winters and 100 degree summers for years without complaint. The G070 is nearly identical in viscosity to the old G060

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf

Interested in knowing what made you switch from using VW G070.

Cost? Performance?

Thanks!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Thanks for the information. Have you ever ran Redline MTL Gear Oil? Its a GL-4 70W80? Think that is too much to run all season?
Up here in NY, Redline MTL is a great choice. If I was back in Phoenix or living in the deep South, then the heavier 90 weight product might be a better choice, but MTL has worked for me in Phoenix as well.

Redline has some other products called 'shockproof' which might work OK in a dedicated differential gearbox, but would be a disaster in a transaxle. (Just putting this note out there just in case anyone thinks it would be a good product for a clutch causing rattles.) If the transaxle worked OK before a clutch change and rattles afterward, and you want to fix the rattles, fix the clutch and/or the flywheel, not the transaxle lube.

The only snag most people find is availablility, but the internet resolves that issue.

Cheers,

PH