Hydraulic lifter modification for PD with video

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Has anyone heard of this? Geoff from colt cams and I were recently speaking on the phone about this, he said they perform much better. Apparently Kermatdi has been experimenting with this in staff cars. 5 minute modification. I know nothing about the hydraulic operation of the lifters to comment to whether it's benefitional or catastrophic

Here is a YouTube video of how to remove the spring

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-sdftGx40&feature=youtu.be

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Credit where credit is due. That's been going around for years. My impression is that in a high-speed situation, it may do something, but I don't think of TDI's as high speed engines. Plainly, they are NOT.

Here's the thing. When we were messing around with Dodge 340's a while back, we found that cutting the valves stems to minimize pre-load on lifters was the way to reach in excess of 9,500rpm without floating the valves. I think the same principle applies here, but not by removing springs, but by making sure you don't over-compress your cam followers.

The valve stems have to be cut and the amount of pre-load adjusted. We have done it for years before we ever saw our first TDI head and see no reason to stop now. We just think a properly adjusted cam follower works better.

It's just one of the many things that makes one of our cylinder heads, "...work better than it ever did before.."

turbotorq

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Credit where credit is due. That's been going around for years. My impression is that in a high-speed situation, it may do something, but I don't think of TDI's as high speed engines. Plainly, they are NOT.

Here's the thing. When we were messing around with Dodge 340's a while back, we found that cutting the valves stems to minimize pre-load on lifters was the way to reach in excess of 9,500rpm without floating the valves. I think the same principle applies here, but not by removing springs, but by making sure you don't over-compress your cam followers.

The valve stems have to be cut and the amount of pre-load adjusted. We have done it for years before we ever saw our first TDI head and see no reason to stop now. We just think a properly adjusted cam follower works better.

It's just one of the many things that makes one of our cylinder heads, "...work better than it ever did before.."

Thanks for the reply Frank, so I partially understand your post. I'm not knowledgeable in this area , I know nothing of the operation of hydraulic lifters to know if this would be a good idea. I gather from your comment there's virtually no benefit to removing the springs in a TDI. Could there be negative consequences? I know when I pulled the plunger out of the original stock silver lifters, there was no internal spring.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I would have to verify that.

As for 'new' or 'exclusive', I'm not biting on that. It's not new and it's not exclusive.

We had a rash of people that got told to use AHU dual springs instead of the performance springs. That is nonsense also.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The guy in the video makes mention of the black nitrided lifters being extra noisy... I haven't noticed the same, but I also make sure that I put all the lifters in a clean container, upside down, and fill it and the inside of lifters with oil. Give the adjuster a couple pumps with a finger while they're submerged in oil and leave them in there while you tear the old parts out.

Install them into the head freshly removed from the oil filled container and after re-assembly, they're generally quiet almost instantly.

Otherwise it can take a couple drive cycles after installing those lifters before they adequately adjust and quiet down.

Not sure I'm seeing the big advantage here, but I also don't do machine work, I just replace PD cams here and there.

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
Hi,

I have just installed a new (stock) cam and new INA black lifters after a cam failure on a PD150 ARL.

The car was horribly noisy, and after replacing the parts, I let the car sits for 1 hour before the first start.

The first start was very quiet and engine operation is smooth.

30.000 km later I noticed that the engine is a bit noisy than before (but acceptable) and rarely (happened 2 times) after a hot start there's a tapping lifter noise that disappears few seconds after driving normally.

I'll check the cam and lifters this weekend to see if this noise is due to a premature failure.

Last thing about oil change, I use liquimoly toptec 4100 5w40