Jeep Wrangler JKU build

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Well, it is time for me to start posting on here, after lurking, learning, studying, and gathering parts for my swap for a year. What I have is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler, that orignally had the 3.8 motor, with the nsg370 6 speed trans, and is now getting an alh out of a 2003 wrecked jetta auto I bought.

Here is another inside, ready to start
[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=126839&title=2018-02-16-15-19-05&cat=500][/URL]
Parts I have acquired so far are, HPA trans adapter, and Crankshaft adapter. GTB1756vk turbo and manifold from X-man. Pd 150 intake. Race 520 injectors. Malone stage 5 tune with immobilizer delete. Spec stage 2 clutch. Front mount intercooler, Plus alot of other small stuff.

Last edited:

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Engine is in for final time, hopefully, as mounts are done now, and everything is bolted in. Moving on.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Pedal is mounted in. It bolted into place of the jeep pedal, but hit the carpet hard, so I had to move it over and down.
before

after

moving on to mounting fuel filter, and running line.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Looks great! No AC?
I plan to have ac later. It looks to be able to fit above the power steering for a high mount. I just finished the pulley to drive it off the power steering pump. I also machined down the jeep cam gear that has the tone wheel on it to fit on that also, so I can get my guages working. I still have to mount my fix for the crank tone wheel to the front crank pulley.
[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=126890&title=1519995467806280853669&cat=500][/URL]

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
I plan to have ac later. It looks to be able to fit above the power steering for a high mount. I just finished the pulley to drive it off the power steering pump. I also machined down the jeep cam gear that has the tone wheel on it to fit on that also, so I can get my guages working. I still have to mount my fix for the crank tone wheel to the front crank pulley.
Yea there is room up there for AC as I thought about going the route but getting the belt to get enough bite up there was gonna be a challenge.

As for your cam and crank signals I could be wrong but I think you could use a dakota digital box and not have to worry about any tone rings. My truck is similar to your jeep I believe. But maby there is a CAN buss issue I am not thinking of at the moment?

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Yea there is room up there for AC as I thought about going the route but getting the belt to get enough bite up there was gonna be a challenge.
As for your cam and crank signals I could be wrong but I think you could use a dakota digital box and not have to worry about any tone rings. My truck is similar to your jeep I believe. But maby there is a CAN buss issue I am not thinking of at the moment?
I thought the compressor would be better with its own adjustable separate driven pulley. I still might go with the dakota box for the crank. I have a tone ring to try, already, I will call the dakota box a backup plan, for now till I try the other stuff I have already.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I'll be curious to hear how the ALH handles the weight of a JKU. I always assumed it was too much dead weight to be efficient. I was looking at the Cummins R2.8 but even that has pretty low power levels compared to a modified ALH. (Plus it costs $$$$$).

Cool build! You're making great progress already. Good luck!

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
I'll be curious to hear how the ALH handles the weight of a JKU. I always assumed it was too much dead weight to be efficient. I was looking at the Cummins R2.8 but even that has pretty low power levels compared to a modified ALH. (Plus it costs $$$$$).
Cool build! You're making great progress already. Good luck!
I am hoping it will do better than the stock motor. That thing was a dog, that sounds like it is going to blow up over 4000 rpm. Peak hp is at 5200rpm, I think, and I never took it that high. Hopefully the Lower rpm range of this motor should be good. That cummins would be a good motor. I should have a little more power than that, too!

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
coolant fishbowl

Do I need to use the stock vw coolant fishbowl? I am not finding definitve answers on that.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Do I need to use the stock vw coolant fishbowl? I am not finding definitve answers on that.
Depending how you have your cooling system setup, whether you have a radiator with a cap or not, and whether the top of the radiator is higher than the head. The good thing about the fish bowl, is you can mount it near the firewall, and you will want it as your highest point, to try and catch any air bubbles from the system. Technically, you could still use it with a capped radiator, but there isn't much sense in that.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Depending how you have your cooling system setup, whether you have a radiator with a cap or not, and whether the top of the radiator is higher than the head. The good thing about the fish bowl, is you can mount it near the firewall, and you will want it as your highest point, to try and catch any air bubbles from the system. Technically, you could still use it with a capped radiator, but there isn't much sense in that.
Ok, I have a capped radiator, and am fairly certain that the top of the radiator will be higher than the head, so I will hold off on that for now, until I get radiator back in to check height. thanks

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Ok, I have a capped radiator, and am fairly certain that the top of the radiator will be higher than the head, so I will hold off on that for now, until I get radiator back in to check height. thanks
I mean, theoretically, the radiator can be lower than the head, you just want to make sure you don't get any air bubbles trapped in the head.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Cool build, I'm not sure how I did not see this before.
I did have DIY motor mounts for the JKU that are not on the website.
We love ours but I think the 50lb Centerforce flywheel has a lot to do with that. With the heavy flywheel, larger turbo and a good tune it should work well.
Ours is a stock BEW and stage 1.5 Malone Tune, its a good around town vehicle for our daughter but definitely not a powerhouse.
I put 33" tires on it and a leveling kit. Why do you need a workaround for the flywheel sensor? The stock one should work?

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Cool build, I'm not sure how I did not see this before.
I did have DIY motor mounts for the JKU that are not on the website.
We love ours but I think the 50lb Centerforce flywheel has a lot to do with that. With the heavy flywheel, larger turbo and a good tune it should work well.
Ours is a stock BEW and stage 1.5 Malone Tune, its a good around town vehicle for our daughter but definitely not a powerhouse.
I put 33" tires on it and a leveling kit. Why do you need a workaround for the flywheel sensor? The stock one should work?
Hey, two reasons for the crank sensor. Hpa put the starter where that switch used to be and the starter nose hits the tone ring if it is on there. While I have you, what did you end up doing to your fuel filler hose to get more than 71 cents in fuel, I think you said? Did you get your tach working, you should be half there with a functional crank sensor. Get your stuff up on your website! I would have just bought from you!

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I replumbed the fill system with 1 1/2" all the way from the filler to the tank and then cut a 3/4" vent fitting into the back of the tank at the top.
I tried to use existing fittings but had no luck getting it to vent with any of them. I replaced the in tank fuel pump with a piece of hose and then added a small diesel rated 5-7psi fuel pump inline. This is my daughters Jeep and she drives it every day so getting it back to finish the tach wiring is a challenge and she has figured out how to shift by the feel of the torque.
Yes I need to get the website updated.
Feel free to ask any questions about my swap and I will see if I can remember what I did. :)

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I found the late model JKU airbox has a better outlet angle for the turbo inlet and they are cheap when guys change to CAI. The stock airbox should flow lots for the TDI.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
I found the late model JKU airbox has a better outlet angle for the turbo inlet and they are cheap when guys change to CAI. The stock airbox should flow lots for the TDI.
I had planned on using the stock airbox, also, and after seeing how yours looks, I made the right decision. I also purchased a front mount intercooler like you did, sized from the supercharger builds that are out there.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
got a few things done. Got fuel filter mounted and lines plumbed from injection pump back to tank, using stock line, and vapor line for return. Made power steering hose, using aeroquip hi pressure hose, and an fittings, I should have taken a better picture of filter, it is below brake cylinder, attached to frame, and I can still get it out to change it from topside.
[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=126962&title=2018-03-06-19-08-24&cat=500][/URL]

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
slow going lately, waiting on supplies, did get a few things done. Got the jeep cam sensor mounted. I did buy a Dakota digital box DSL-1E for the crank sensor, as Motohead1 suggested, in case I decide against my front mounted one, or need to adjust it, or it just don't work.
[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=127013&title=2018-03-10-10-24-50&cat=500][/URL]
Got gas tank rollover vent installed, still waiting on fuel filler line, as EVGuy suggested. I kept in tank pump, and removed filter, and placed tee, with check valve in between pressure, and return, to use it as a lift pump.

Got to work on my guage mount for inside of jeep.
[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=127015&title=2018-03-12-18-13-34&cat=500][/URL]

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
I also knocked the big check ball out of the tank inlet. It may not have been one of my problems but anything that will restrict the diesel and cause it to foam is bad.
I think in the end the 1 1/2" fill and new vent were the solution.
I like your vent fitting, what is it?