rough running, help!

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
2003 TdiEgr Delete, Stage 1 Malone, 150K. on the way to work this morning the engine started to sputter. it went from barely noticeable at first to violent by the time I made my 30 mile commute. like it was running on 3 cylinders. this afternoon I have filled the tank about 10 gallons of new fuel, change the fuel filter, air filter, and full oil change. no difference. then I checked the fuel pump by loosening the high pressure fuel lines while the engine was running fuel shot out of all four injectors. I then removed the injectors soaked the tips in diesel fuel and wipe them clean. still running the same if not worse!?:confused:

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Today I loosened all the fuel lines at the injector in an attempt to locate a bad injector. removing fuel supply to each injector was equally detrimental to the idling. The car is making good boost as well.

all suggestions welcomed?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Has it got out of time? I would check to see if any codes have been stored. Re-plug that big connector at the IP

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I Don't Have Vcds. I do have a code scanner I have no check engine codes. additionally, this afternoon I have 2 used spare injectors and played shuffle with them with no change. I Unplugged The IP AndPluggedBack In With No Change. while I Was There, I unplugged the maf sensor just see what would happen and there was no change? this time I have my wife in the car and I noticed the excess of smokey exhaust
Thank You For Suggestions

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Today I loosened all the fuel lines at the injector in an attempt to locate a bad injector. removing fuel supply to each injector was equally detrimental to the idling. The car is making good boost as well.

all suggestions welcomed?
That tells me it's probably not the injectors. I'm thinking broken vacuum hose or some other thing.

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I did have a vacuum hose disconnected! the diagram on your hyperlink the hose was disconnected from the T connecting 4 To 1. additionally I have a code P 0304 misfire of cylinder 4. that is one of my old injectors I was using to test with. I'm going to replace that with original and see if I have better results.

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Replaced Injector Code Cleared. checked the vacuum hoses all seemed fine.... Its Gotten Worse. Smoking Really Bad and violently shaking??

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
How about that large hose on the passanger side down underneath that goes to your inter cooler mounted just in front of the front passanger tire well? Any chance that hose has come loose or developed some sort of leak?

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
from the turbo compressor to the intercooler? I don't think so because I'm making good boost according to my scan gauge, but I'll double check in the morning anyways.
Thank You.
I'm starting to lean towards the timing belt skipped?? Any Thoughts?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I'm starting to lean towards the timing belt skipped?? Any Thoughts?
That was one of the first things suggested and would have been the first thing I would have checked given the possibility of doing lots of damage by continuing to run it. Always verify TB tension and condition if such situations.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, check the mechanical timing and everything under that timing belt cover VERY carefully. And do not run the engine until you do.

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
as soon as it happened I pulled over and just did a quick visual inspection of the belt. belt is in good conditioN. this morning I checked the mechanical timing all satisfactory. Now I'm at a total loss?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
How long since the intake has been cleaned?

There's a non-zero chance that you have a compression leak on one cylinder... which is why everyone said "check mechanical timing!" as one of the causes of that is a timing belt accident.

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I'm not sure what non-zero chance means? intake was cleaned 30,000 miles ago when I did the timing belt and removed the EGR.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
A clogged intake wouldn't lead to sudden rough and crazy running like this.. This is starting to sound more and more like the pump.

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I did a compression test today as per the bentley manual. All sat across the board.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
This is indeed starting to sound like the pump..... diesels are pretty-simple beasts really -- if you have compression and fuel they run. Since you've verified compression is good on all four holes that leaves fuel.

fatkid

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
finally had time to take the intake and valve cover off. Good news is the fuel pump isn't the issue. Its a bad cam and lifter.