New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

tdi_twister

TDI
09 JSW
Re: MAF question

Not to hijack the thread (couldn't find a more appropriate thread), but I just wanted to say hello to everyone and apologize for a lengthy "first" post.

I just picked up a 2001 Golf GLS TDI 4-door last weekend. Thanks to the information on the forum, I knew what I wanted and what to look for as far as potential problems.

I already changed the oil to Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5w40 from Walmart and a Mann oil filter. The receipts from the PO indicated the correct oil was being used, at least for the first several oil changes at the dealer. The timing belt is a 60k version (I have 54k miles now) and I am going to have DeafBug do a TB change. I also cleaned the snow screen (full of debris) and checked a few other minor things. I am guessing it will need an intake cleaning, but I haven't taken off the EGR to confirm that yet (maybe I can just look through it?). It already has a grey Relay 109 and the front window regulators were replaced. The back driver's window is broken, so I will need to tackle that one eventually.

So, I am planning on changing the fuel and air filters after I order them. The MAF has never been replaced as far as I can tell, but I am not having any power issues yet. I am also planning on attending the GTG in a couple of weeks so I can meet a few other members and get some tips.

Is there anything else obvious that should be done as part of a once-over for a newbie?

Hopefully I can contribute the to forum in the future as I have problems and observations. Thanks.

tdi_twister

TDI
09 JSW

Thanks for the bump. It appears both of our posts are "lost". The only way I can access them is through "my home", then "show my posts" or clicking "show all" in the pages list.

Either that or no love for the noob.

I posted in the web page forum about this issue with no response yet. Oh well.

Edit: Now it shows a page 11 after clicking on the thread, but not in the forum listing.

cast_and_blast

TDI
'02 Jetta GLS Auto - Silver

tdi_twister - I'm also a fellow newbie. You'll want to do a brake fluid flush and check your brake pads/rotors. Ventectomy might also be in order. I'm in MN and I'll get around to doind the TDIHeater as well for those cold days that are not far away.

Good Luck!

Scott

tdi_twister

TDI
09 JSW

Thanks for the responses. I will take a look at flushing the brake fluid and maybe a tdi heater.

I will post this in the maintenance forum (hopefully not considered cross-posting) and see what happens.

donjohnston

TDI
Jetta 2003 grey
Re: Starting post for Newbie\'s

I have a 2003 Jetta. There is a strong diesel odor in the trunk area. The trunk was washed out and the odor persists. Any suggestions for cause and treatment?

woda

TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Platinum Grey

Just want to say hello, Just traded in our 04 V6 Touareg that got a great 16.7 mpg for a 05.5 Jetta TDI. Which so far on the first tank has gotten 48.5 mpg. A lot easier on the wallet, especially since premium is now going for $3.50 / gallon!

vw_gazoo

TDI
Golf, 2005, Silver
Starting post for Newbie\'s

thanks for the links for i'am a new member and recent owner of a Golf TDI.

logarithm

TDI
Current Admirer/Future Owner

I'm extremely disappointed that I can't find an A4 Golf TDI 2-door with a manual anywhere. This is terrible.

DieselHauler

TDI
2000 Golf, Reflux Silver, 2 dr 5 spd

I have a 2000 Silver Golf 2 door 5 speed that I purchased new. Glad I did because after either 03/04 they stopped mfg.the 2dr.TDI. Unfortunatley I'm not ready to give mine up any time soon. Keep reading,learning, and searching hopefully your persistence will pay off!

Good Luck, Dave

logarithm

TDI

I have a 2000 Silver Golf 2 door 5 speed that I purchased new. Glad I did because after either 03/04 they stopped mfg.the 2dr.TDI. Unfortunatley I'm not ready to give mine up any time soon. Keep reading,learning, and searching hopefully your persistence will pay off!

Thanks, chief. I've been trying to do my homework on what was manufactured what years, and it's just plain complicated. It's like the road opened up and swallowed them all. At least it shows how much most TDI owners don't want to give them up.
Good Luck, Dave

DieselHauler

TDI
2000 Golf, Reflux Silver, 2 dr 5 spd

Thanks, chief. I've been trying to do my homework on what was manufactured what years, and it's just plain complicated. It's like the road opened up and swallowed them all. At least it shows how much most TDI owners don't want to give them up.
Here is something else you might want to try. Go to www.autotrader.com. Do an advanced search year range (1999 - 2003). Diesel, manual, 2 door.

You may have to travel but you just might find the car you want.

Again, Good luck!
Dave

Bruski

TDI
2003 VW Polo 1.4 Tdi white

I have the 1.4 Polo tdi, 2003 model with 54000km. Occasionally it appears to have no power, as if the turbo is not working at all. VW plugged it in to their computers and says it is fine and of course the problem didn't occur when they were driving it. There is little to no accleration, it sounds normal, just very sluggish, it feels like you are in the wrong gear but changing down to 2nd and getting the revs back up doesn't help. Any ideas?

shepdog

TDI
Jetta,04, champaigne

Can the recalibration of the egr to lessen intake manifold cleaning be done using the procedure above on an 04 PD engine ?

gsh

TDI
jetta 2004 charcoal & passat 1996 silver/metallic

I've got a question for anyone who lives in the San Francisco Penninsula area: Are there any reputable TDI mechanics who can service these vehicles, who know the common problems and pitfalls of aftermarket upgrades and who can help locate high quality diesel fuel in the area?

Thanks,

GSH

krobins

TDI
2003 TDI Beetle

Yes I am new here. I did a stupid thing today. Returning from a VW show I needed Diesel. The green handle at this staion happened to be gas of which I dumped a gallon of in before seeing it. Just used to green handle on the pump. I talked to a diesel mech and he said to put in some diesel lubricant and fill it with diesel. I did and came home. Now I want to drain the tank and get mor new pure diesel. I was able to get 6 gallons out but something keeps the hose from going farther in the tank. Is there an easy way to drain the rest of the fuel?http://forums.tdiclub.com/images/icons/frown.gif
frown
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

I talked to a diesel mech and he said to put in some diesel lubricant and fill it with diesel. I did and came home. Now I want to drain the tank and get mor new pure diesel.
One gallon of gasoline diluted with 15 gallons of diesel, plus an additive with good lubricity characteristics, should cause no problems for your 2003 TDI.

But if you are determined to get all the contaminated fuel out, look under the rear seat for access to the fuel tank.

Freidl

TDI
Jetta 06 silver

I'm a Newbie and this is my first post.I hope this is the right spot for this post. I ordered 06 Jetta TDI DSG Silver Sept. 15Th.paid full sticker. VW dealer wouldn't give me a delivery date.I'd like to find out how long it's taking for ordered TDIs to come in. Is there any way to get a built date? Any advice would be appreciated.
Freidl from Gilford, NH

lfantin

TDI
Don't have one yet :)

am i correct in assuming the a 1997 jetta GL is an A3 type of engine? i read somewhere that PD engine types were pretty much the only ones worth buying and i wasn't sure if the 97 fit this discription.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

A3 refers to the body type... yes, 1997 Jetta is an A3.

Midway through the 1999 model year, they switched body styles to the A4.

PD (Pumpe Düse = Fuel Injector Pump) engines were introduced to North America with the 2004 model year, but have been "out there" in other parts of the world for a while... They have a bit more power, and a bit less economy... Still A4's, 'till the A5 came out more recently, with the PD engines...

Many people prefer the <2003 (pre-PD) engines, as they're a known quantity, aren't as fussy as to which oil you must use, and are easily modify-able...

Yuri.

Louw

TDI
audi a4 avant 19 tdi 81 kW/110 HP black automatic

I just want to say THANK YOU to TDI World! After the VW/AUDI dealer has had severial occasions to fix problem of lost power: they were even tempted to replace either turbo or ECU. About a month ago I read the following paragraph and I did replace the $ 4 hose, indeed it was about 2.75 EURO and my audi is running better than ever!!! I did have my engine cleaned and closed off the EGR with a simple screw in the vacuum inlet. Audi has done 268500 sofar.

This is the paragraph in FAQ that solved my problem:
- Manifold pressure sensor problems. This only applies to A3 and B4 models (i.e. older models - if you have a New Beetle or a '99.5 or later Golf/Jetta, don't even bother reading this section, you have a completely different setup). There is a black hose which connects at one end to the intake manifold and at the other end to the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor at the ECU. (The ECU is located underneath a black plastic trim panel that also covers the windshield wiper linkage.) The rubber hardens up and leaks at both end connections, resulting in the ECU not seeing a proper pressure signal and causing "limp mode". Replace the hose with a 5 foot length of 5/64" windshield washer hose (about $4 at an auto parts store). It is not even worth investigating whether the hose is at fault, just replace it.

MikeE55

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, white

I am a Newbie and this is my first post!
Just got a 2003 Jetta TDI. Love the car so far. Never had a diesel before. Have owned several Porsches and now have a 2000 Mercedes E55, and a 2002 3/4 ton Silverado 8.1 L.(496cid),hence the TDI for running around.
I have read the FAQ and other comments but need some more info on oil. I have been a Mobil 1 user for years. Benz recomends Mobil 1 synthetic in the E55. Is the Mobil 1 for the diesels the Oil that says in part "Mobil 1 5W/40 for gasoline and diesel engines, fully synthetic" on the front and on the back says "Meets CI-4/CH-4/CG-4 CF industry."
Thanks in advance.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is exactly the oil you want for your 2003 model TDI. The newer ones have a different requirement, but you can't go wrong with the T&SUV. Especially if you can find it in the convenient 5-quart jug.

StuMan

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey

Hello all! I am looking into www.dieselsecret.com

Does anyone know anything about this? My question would be is it safe for my Jetta and if so why isn't everyone talking about this?

Thanks,
Stu

JRB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Indigo Blue

Welcome Stu....I'd become friendly with the search button. But I think most people on this site think its crap...

logarithm

TDI

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can find more results looking for an A4 2-door Golf with the manual? I searh CarMax and AutoTrader and keep an eye on local lots and things, and even EbayMotors, and it's so freakin' hard. I have browsed this site for a while now, and am interested in trading my midsize SUV in for that car.

Secondly, I'm 18 years old, and under my dad's insurance and the vehicle actually belongs to him. I'm trying to convince him that investing in a TDI would be a much better alternative, and would last me much longer after I graduate college. If you could PM me your personal insights on why a TDI would be a great idea, rather than a 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 with 136,XXX miles on the clock.

I just want long term reliability, economy, and range in a stylish package. I'm willing to make the DIY commitments too.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB

This is the wrong post to ask that question but TDIs are hard to find on the market today. You just have to be patient and keep looking, wait for new entries. In the past few months, most of the cars I have worked on are used TDIs that someone got recently. I even had to go out and inspect a few cars. You will have a hard time finding a local if you don't broaden your search to national. Good luck on finding a TDI. A couple more places to look VWVortex.com and craigslist.com

hjcul

TDI
VW 1997 Black
CEL on Glow Plugs Checked in TDI 101 procedures OK

I own a 1997 Jetta, I am having the CEL come on. The glow plug light only flashes on and off. I tried unplugging the coolant sensor then the light stays on longer. I do not seem to have any conductivity to the coolant glow plugs, could the coolant glow plugs cause all this to happen