BEW engine - block damage oil starvation - damage inspection

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
My BEW engine (180k miles) started knocking after I lost the turbo and all oil.
Took the pan off and removed rod and crank bolts.

Photos here: http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/K...2005 Golf TDI blown turbo/TDI BEW block knock

From the looks (inexperienced in this matter), it looks like the first front/balancer/front pulley (I think it is called the #1 cylinder) side crank bearing shows the most wear:

Do need to take the crank and pistons out to also inspect the wrist pins?

What is the recommended 'repair scope' (new crank/main bearings and bolts, new rod bearings/bolts; else?)

Is it 'worth' the cost to repair the engine?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You might get away with just rod and crank bolts. Cut shims from aliuminum sheet to use as a chisel to remove back side of crank bearings.
Those bearings are shot

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Bob is talking about rolling in main bearings. A very common practice in all Diesel engines and I have done it many times myself. But with a bearing failure, this is sketchy at best. What does the crank look like? Can you feel grooves in it if you run your fingernail across it from the front of the engine to the back? If so, then the engine needs out come out (or come oot, if you have a Canadian accent) and be polished at best - machined at worst.

I suggest you get someone experienced in engine rebuilding to take a look at the engine and give you advice. It's prit near impossible to give good advice with just pictures. This needs a laying on of hands.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Make sure none of the bearings spun, especially in the rods as they don't have locator tangs on PD motors...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
received word doc, thank you. Need to visualize.
Is this procedure 'common' or VAG specific?
common
Whitedog's answer is more complete, bearing replacement is a bare minimum. Assessing the damage is key to maximizing your effort.