Beware of the Plenum Leak!

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
Just an FYI to everyone re: Passat plenum leaking. I had heard about this issue, but thought it would never happen to me. Why would it, my car only has 34,000 original miles on it and spends 2/3 of the year indoors? Wrong! Went outside a few weeks ago and she had filled up like a bath tub on the passenger side front and rear.

I dug into it and could clearly see water rushing past the pathetic foam seal on the passenger side fresh air vent in the plenum (where the pollen filter sits). This foam turns to dust from age and heat exposure. If you have foam bits coming in through your air vents inside the car, you should be particularly concerned. As it turns out, there is a recall for this, but as I gather, it was not noted as active on my car, and I was never notified. Perhaps it was a complaint based goodwill recall; either way, I was never notified.

The long and short of it is that the dealer had my car for a full week, and dried it all out, and cleaned it. They did a great job. They were going to replace the TCM but found that it was still completely dry in its housing, so that was not replaced. The total bill has yet to be tabulated, but the rough number is $700. If the TCM had been damaged, the bill would have been far more. The bill was paid in full by my extended VW warranty, which I will more than get my money out of by the time it expires in mid 2012.

The fix is to remove the crap foam seal and replace it with a polybutyl seal. Everything in my car was removed: all seats, all carpets, and center consul. Please save yourself the aggravation and get the upgrade done under the recall or spend the few dollars to get the new seal put in. Once it leaks, you will be sorry that you weren't pro-active about fixing it. I am hoping that this info saves a few of you some grief.

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
Do you have the TSB or recall number for this warranty repair?

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys, I have neither the part number, nor the TSB. I don't even have my bill/ receipt as yet. I picked up the car today from reception (Sunday), as the service department was closed. I will be talking to service tomorrow to get my copy of the paperwork, etc. When I get more info I will post it.

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
I found this TSB. Since it's a TSB I assume VW will not cover this outside of the warranty period ?

• Date Announced: JUNE 01 2008
    TSB #P 9-66C8

NHTSA ID #10025923
Summary: VOLKSWAGEN: 2001-2005 MODELS: SERVICE AIR PLENUM AREA TO IMPROVE DRAINAGE AND INSTALL IMPROVED POLLEN FILTER SEAL. WATER COULD LEAK INTO THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT. 2002 MODELS COULD HAVE LEAKS INTO THE BRAKE BOOSTER. *PE

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
I remember seeing that TSB, but perhaps it has been updated???? The one I remember seeing covered early B5, perhaps up to 2002. Is there a PDF copy of this around that we could print out? I have a Service Appointment coming up very soon, and I would like that plenum inspected (if it needs to be?), even though I am out of warranty...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I have a pdf copy and will be willing to e-mail it to anyone who wants a copy. It covers the sunroof drain issue as well. If I post the file in my photo album and link it here, will that work too?

Tony

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Aha, sunroof drains too! Yes please, I'd like to see that.

How come the sunroof drain recall was done this summer but only for Jetta/Golf platform?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Here it is

It's in my photo album (aja8888). I can't seem to figure out how to link it here.

it's labeled TAB Cowl.

Last edited:

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It should have been part of the sunroof drain recall. Funny, the A3s had the same issue (the few sold here that actually had a pollen filter).

Although I think if the drains under the battery are kept clean, the water should not get up that high to get into the HVAC intake area anyways, but perhaps if it was parked nose-up on a hill?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I...
Although I think if the drains under the battery are kept clean, the water should not get up that high to get into the HVAC intake area anyways, but perhaps if it was parked nose-up on a hill?
Do you have to remove the Battery to get at the drain?

I was cleaning out the leaves and crap in that firewall area with compressed air and a vacuum. Didn't remove the battery. I pour a cup or so of water under the battery to find out where it would go, it looks like it was draining out on to the driver side CV half shaft. Should the water drain on the other side as well?

BTW - I don't see how a foam gasket in the plenum keeps water out in the first place.?.?

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
It should have been part of the sunroof drain recall. Funny, the A3s had the same issue (the few sold here that actually had a pollen filter).

No, that is not the case. My car was on a flat surface. Water was running down the windshield and draining at the base of the passenger side A pillar. As the water poured into the plenum it ran beside the fresh air vent seal on it's way to the bottom of the plenum and then out the drain. At one time, the seal was solid enough to keep the passing water out, but as it deteriorated it allowed water in. Please understand that this has nothing to do with
pooling of water and everything to do with the path that the water travels as it rolls off the windshield and rushes past the fresh air housing.

As an added argument for doing this pro-actively, I am now trying to get satisfaction from the dealership over all the little things they broke when they tore the car apart. I thought
they did a great job, but I have since learned that they broke and scratched many parts of the center consul. I still have no paperwork as they are awaiting payment from my VW
extended warranty. Be pro-active folks. This is an extremely ugly mess to clean up once Ernie and his Rubber Ducky have moved into the new neighborhood bath tub.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
is it ok to remove the 2, 4 sided rubber drains from the plenum area as they tend to fill with mud and leave them out?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Just snip off the bottom 1/4 inch or so. That will make the outlet a bit larger than a mere slit, and the dust won't accumulate into mud any more.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
that is easier said than done with the engine/trans in place.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks Dan,

I took my car in for servicing the day after you posted about this. I put it on my wish list and they found some water in the plenum, dried it out and fixed it up properly (non-dealer).

cheers

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Dan,

I took my car in for servicing the day after you posted about this. I put it on my wish list and they found some water in the plenum, dried it out and fixed it up properly (non-dealer).

cheers
Excellent! If I save one person some grief, I am happy. My dealership is not returning my calls re: the damage to my center consul, so I am a little frustrated right now. Keeping my fingers crossed at this point. I don't want to have to replace these parts at my expense.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I had my b5.5 wagon carpet and padding replaced under warranty from the leaky air intake. Took at least 5 trips and lots of replaced plastic before I let the dealer off the hook. They broke something every time they touched it and would try to give it back thinking i wouldn't notice. That dealer has since stopped selling VWs.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Do I have this right: the foam part of the seal remains and a replacement rubber seal installed.

Can the magical seal be purchased directly or we at the mercy of the dealer shop to replace it?

EDIT: Google can be your friend! It appears this stuff may be similar to 3M butyl tape. Does anyone know what the size should be?

Last edited:

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
Do I have this right: the foam part of the seal remains and a replacement rubber seal installed.

Can the magical seal be purchased directly or we at the mercy of the dealer shop to replace it?

EDIT: Google can be your friend! It appears this stuff may be similar to 3M butyl tape. Does anyone know what the size should be?
I removed the original seal completely and filled it with an amount of butyl to create a firm seal ~ also added silicone calk to completely prevent water from penetration. Never had any water infiltration since... If you don't want the silicone caulk, I would suggest 3M Strip calk. It will be a permanent fix as opposed to a seal that will break down again.

WYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI wagon
Where is all this located? I am aware of the two front sunroof drains in the front door jambs and drain those regularly. Haven't found the rear drains or this plenum, any help/pictures appreciated. Also, is there drains under the battery tray that need maintenance?

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
98 TDI jetta, 05 passat wagon
Today I was addressing the dead battery in My Wifes 05 Passat and decided to check if the seal had been redone. No such luck.
I went to my local VW dealer and the friendly parts guy sold me a strip of the sealant for 1.25$.
It was good to do while I already had it apart for the battery. It just took one trip to buy the sealer (and a new cabin filter) and about 15 min to do the reseal. I can totally see where it could flood the car. The original gasket is a joke. All it takes is some debris to build up in the corner and you are at risk of having a flood.
Thanks for making me take a closer look at this.