Outer CV Joint?

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta

While rotating tires I noticed that the boot on the cv joint on the driver's side has been split all the way around, with grease coming out. There is dry grease that's noticeable in the area around, so I don't know how long it has been split and how much grease has escaped. Searching the forums I see that this is the outer cv joint boot.
I haven't noticed any unusual sound when turning, I have however noticed lately that there is a popping sound when coming to a stop, and sometimes when leaving from a full stop. This has seemed to go away though lately, maybe due to getting colder?
Coincidentally it also sounds like I have a bearing going bad on the same wheel hub, I think I confirmed that it wasn't the tire as the roaring sound it makes still happens regardless of the tire and seems to get louder when turning left.
If I'm changing the bearing, it looks like there's not much left to replace the outer cv joint also? Is this the correct part? http://www.idparts.com/cv-joint-outer-a5-dsg-p-3771.html Thanks.

*Edit: Looks like you have to right click on the image icon and click on view image in new tab to actually see the picture in Google +

Last edited:

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
You are correct, you have to remove the axle bolt anyway to get to the cv joint, might as well replace the bearing at the same time. If you are doing it yourself, it is no easy task to get the axle bolt out. Although you have an 06, so it may not be a crazy a torque spec as my 09. I had to heat mine up a couple times wih a propane torch and a good air impact to get it off. I had a brand new electric one, but wasn't nearly strong enough. I had a fun time trying to get the axle to snap back into place in the wheel hub as well. It was a frustrating job, but always a great feeling accomplishing yourself. Good luck!

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
Is it possible that these problems are related? Would a bad CV joint (caused by a torn boot over timer) cause bearing failure if gone on long enough? As opposed to putting a new outer CV joint on, would it be safer and easier to just to replace the whole axle from raxles?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
All depends how long that inner boot lasts, and if you mind doing the work twice.

I'd look into the cost of an entire axle and weigh how much you want to do the job once or twice. Also the axle could be slightly bent and that caused the boot to shred and bearing get trashed, thus replacing the boot will only get you so far, and you're back to square one.

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
How could the axle get bent? Don't know of any major impact that could have caused something like that, unless maybe hitting a large pothole really hard?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Usually a bent axle is caused by some type of "event".

Boots get old and split, wheel bearings go bad. The possibility of one causing the other is remote. Likely what has happened is the boot split long ago, and now you have a wheel bearing going bad also. Change the bearing, pull the axle and rebuild/reboot it while you have everything apart to change the bearing.

Not a bad job, but can be frustrating, if something doesn't go well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Some owners have noticed a vibration that wasn't cured by countless tire balancing and it came down to one of the axles.

I personally think I have one ever since ~80K, there's a noticeable vibration at 65-75 that's there almost half time time I drive. It's the same with snow tires or summer tires.