alh oil system

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
I wasnt sure where to post this and since its conversion related I decided to put it here. I am wondering if there is a lubrication schematic floating around here somewhere? Ive googles but to no avail.... I mainly want to know where all the ports go within the oil filter cooler housing. Im assuming the orange port is clean oil coming from the filter and going to the turbo and into the block???? I say that mainly because that is where the turbo fitting goes.... The green one squirts oil when i turn the engine over by hand so I guess that is coming from the oil pump... and the purple one is leaving the oil cooler or a drain???? Let me know if you can help me.... Thanks!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive taken my housing apart and from what i can tell...purple and orange are both clean oil from the filter and green is dirty oil going to the filter. Hopefully I have it right haha!

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
Orange is main oil gallery with small hole feeding head. Green is from oil pump. Purple is not used. Adleast that’s how mine is set up. Been running it for almost 7k now

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good! That’s how I milled out my plate except I connected the purple and the orange because they have a big hole in the oil filter housing that connects them.. Do you think that will cause any problems? I milled a slot slot to allow those two cavities to share oil. The green is totally isolated and will be oil going from the block to the oil filter.

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
yeah that would cause problems with oil pressure. purple goes straight to the oil pan

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Purple and orange are directly connected inside the oil filter housing with a 3/8” sized hole. Both purple and orange are plumbed right to the inside of the oil filter. Maybe I’m wrong but that what I’m seeing when I look at the housing.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you show me a picture of your plate setup. Ive seen several on google. but no one has a picture of the back side of the plate. Thanks!

Orange is main oil gallery with small hole feeding head. Green is from oil pump. Purple is not used. Adleast that’s how mine is set up. Been running it for almost 7k now

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Purple and orange are directly connected inside the oil filter housing with a 3/8” sized hole. Both purple and orange are plumbed right to the inside of the oil filter. Maybe I’m wrong but that what I’m seeing when I look at the housing.
Yeah, but you are looking up inside the filter housing from the block side without the cap on. If you put the cap on, the long plastic stem with the O-ring on the bottom blocks off that hole you see. The O-ring holds pressure inside the filter on the outside of the filter element forcing the oil through into the gallery that leads to the Orange opening on the block!

Look again and see if I am not right!;)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
So here is what I am seeing... hard to take a picture but the purple and orange seem connected to the inside of the filter (clean oil). I used a light and a stiff piece of wire to confirm that they share oil/pressure. Im assuming the orange goes to the engine and the purple goes to the cooler. If what you say is true then I want to make sure i change my design and block off the purple port. I guess I am just confused why filtered oil would go back to the pan....and if it does wouldn't that effect oil pressure just as would my design. The only possibility I can think of is that the oil cooler restricts flow enough that the pump can maintain pressure....but then I think why would they dump oil from the cooler back into the pan. and that would also mean that the oil going to the head and turbo would not be getting cooled. Once again I am confused haha! Help me understand. Does anyone have pictures prints or data to confirm any of this? thanks!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect! That is what I needed... I knew I was missing something! So the purple portion can and should be blocked form the orange portion? So what is the purpose for the holes in the block inside the purple port? Where does that oil come from.

Yeah, but you are looking up inside the filter housing from the block side without the cap on. If you put the cap on, the long plastic stem with the O-ring on the bottom blocks off that hole you see. The O-ring holds pressure inside the filter on the outside of the filter element forcing the oil through into the gallery that leads to the Orange opening on the block!

Look again and see if I am not right!;)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I took a closer look at it and the only thing I can see that the lower purple port is used for is a drain for when you pull out the oil cap/filter? is that right? Thanks!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You got it.

Also, when the cap is off and filter out, use the housing as a big funnel and pour in the new oil! Of course, some folks "vacuum" out the residual oil in the bottom of the filter housing before pouring in the new oil.

The check valve on the left is to keep from the oil filter housing and gallery all the way back to the pump from draining (stay primed) when the engine is shut down. Also, if I remember correctly, there is another check valve that serves as a by-pass in the event of excessively high pressure (very, very cold oil is an example).