Official Clutch Talk Thread

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Im in on this. Time to get some research done on this VR/G60 setup and what kind of prices are involved.
A few possabilities i guess....
1) Dealer
2) Used/Junk yard...pick up stretch bolts from dealer
3) Dieselgeek
Mr cheap here is telling you to look for a local clutch rebuilding shop and have your clutch disk resurfaced with 4 pucks of Kevlar.

the 1999.5 only cars don't need a stronger clutch; they had the LUK clutch from the factory. ( I made a dyno at 360lb.ft with it)
Im in on this. Time to get some research done on this VR/G60 setup and what kind of prices are involved.
A few possabilities i guess....
1) Dealer
2) Used/Junk yard...pick up stretch bolts from dealer
3) Dieselgeek
Mr cheap here is telling you to look for a local clutch rebuilding shop and have your clutch disk resurfaced with 4 pucks of Kevlar.

the 1999.5 only cars don't need a stronger clutch; they had the LUK clutch from the factory. ( I made a dyno at 360lb.ft with it)
Not to be a party pooper, but I just got off the phone with Cottman Transmission. Joe suggested it might be cheaper to find a performance clutch online than to have mine resurfaced with Kevlar - he said he didn't even know who would be able to do it around here (not that that means much).

As well, he quoted me $320 (plus tax) for the install if I brought everything in - they'd include the fluid with the swap for that price.

I'll post up when I chat with Mr. Transmission and Mr. Plow...

These guys, ClutchCityOnline.com (based in Florida) have what I think we might want.

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/Sachs/OEM/vw_jetta.htm

1.9L - 99 - 03 - TDI, LuK Version 8 5/8" K70249-01 $265.00

Of course, that does not include a dual mass flywheel - but I have no idea if I even need that? Looks like close to $400 CDN after exchange, shipping and duty to get one here...

Clean Chris...

I have some ideas that I don't want to talk about publicly (I'll explain why later). We'll meet up and talk about this soon.
I smell a mini-GTG coming next week to learn about this more...

OK, so I've copied from SMOG's suggestion on down over to here as it pertains to clutch talk.

Just got off the phone with Gary at Gary's Transmissions. great fellow - used to own a couple of built streetable drag cars, so he gets our ideas.

One point to remember - friction on the surfaces is important, but it's the weights that spin inside the tranny which create clamping force - which is what we need more of. When you add more of that clamping force, you increase the amount of pressure you need to push the clutch peddle in with, too - stiffer clutch is the bottom line - just keep that in mind, this IS a trade-off situation. I personally think it'll be fine, but we should all bear this in mind.

Next - Gary figures between $200 and $300 for the install - I'd liek to try, if possible, to set up a situation where, if one of more of us want to have the work done for us, we funnel the work to him - likely he'll offer us a group discount.

Next - there is no one currently east of Montreal who can make the mods SMOG suggested - bottom line, if we drop our clutches off at a shop, they ship them out of province to resurface them/install kevlar and the like.

Idea:

Do we know anyone in Germany? here's the thought - since the euro rigs have more grunt from the showroom floor, could we simply buy euro clutches and install those in out TDI's? Don't know what the costs would be, but if we know anyone over there, it might be worth getting the numbers crunched.

I'm going to phone RPI_Equipped today (they're in BC and ask them about some clutch options - they are the GODS of VW tuning on the West Coast - usually once or twice a year they have a car featured in European Car magazine - primarily watercooled, but they'll know something about our needs, too.

Duane

PS - $14.43 CDN = red TDI badges RPI-Equipped Euro Accessories

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
Next - there is no one currently east of Montreal who can make the mods SMOG suggested - bottom line, if we drop our clutches off at a shop, they ship them out of province to resurface them/install kevlar and the like.

give a call to mikez http://www.unitronic.ca/ tell him Smog sent you for the clutch disks

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Just got off the phone with:

RPI Equipped in BC - Sachs Power Clutch and G60 Flywheel, they say, is the hot ticket for our needs

Clutch = $495 CDN
Flywheel = $295 CDN

with install at $300, shipping at $50 - this is a $1300 combo - that's crazy!!!

Dieselgeek - Jim, I think, was great - shipping to Canada is not a problem, despite what their website says. $525 gets the MkIV TDI/1.8T Sachs Single Mass Clutch Package w/Standard weight Flywheel and the 14 piece stretch bolt kit for transmission removal/replacement and Rear main seal with seal carrier kit. Add, let's say $50 USD for shipping, we're at roughly $700 CDN landed here (assuming Customs doesn't tag it with a fee).

Hillcrest/OEM

After a great chat with John at Hillcrest, I learned the low-down on what pieces we'll need (not news to anyone, but nice to have the list handy):

VR6 Pressure Plate
VR6 Clutch Disk
G60 Flywheel

Worked out to about $780 plus tax (and another $440 if we got the install done there) - $900 plus install, basically.

Damn - is there any way to keep this whole kit price around or under $600 CDN? Ideally, I'd like to keep the pieces under $400, allow $300 for the install and be done with it.

I guess it's off to eBay...

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Thanks for all the info Duane!!
For some reason I'm feelin DieselGeek on this one.
Might go with the lightweight fly but Im gonna read some posts on here and see what others thought of its' durability compared to stock weight.
Most definitly get Hillcrest to do the labour end of things.

PS- the rear skirt is on order, it's gonna be in Friday.

They want like $600 for the skirts though....probably go aftermarket with those.
I found these at around 300$USD...Im gonna keep lookin though

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Sweet look Hoods.

Call gary at Gary's Transmissioon before you get too carried away with the install end of htings. he quoted me $320 for the whole install...and he'd likely do a smidge better for cash...maybe better still if he knew multiple cars were coming...

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Listen guys, I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but...

You don't need the G60 flywheel; it is so very close to being the same as the 2.0L flywheel in regards to the results we would have vs. one another. I have & Andrew has spoken to several VW guys who are VERY heavily involved with modifying VW's, much more so than any of us are, several are full time VW mechanics - the concensus is that the G60 flywheel would only be necessary if you were to upgrade to a larger turbo, a very advanced chip or ECU set up and quite a fair bit more.

Don't spend money you don't have to spend. Don't let me masses dictate what decision is best for you.

I just don't what to see you all run out and buy & spend $1000 on a new clutch set up as where you should be able to do it for under $600.

My $0.02 - again, I'd be happy to chat about this.

Cheers

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI

You don't need the G60 flywheel; it is so very close to being the same as the 2.0L flywheel in regards to the results we would have vs. one another. I have & Andrew has spoken to several VW guys who are VERY heavily involved with modifying VW's, much more so than any of us are, several are full time VW mechanics - the concensus is that the G60 flywheel would only be necessary if you were to upgrade to a larger turbo, a very advanced chip or ECU set up and quite a fair bit more.

Don't spend money you don't have to spend. Don't let me masses dictate what decision is best for you.

I just don't what to see you all run out and buy & spend $1000 on a new clutch set up as where you should be able to do it for under $600.

Cheers
Thnaks DC - I actually recalled you mentioning this once during my research.

Didn't get quotes on it, as I figured an evening with you and Andrew, a few beers, etc was the next natural step in this research anyway.

I'd like to have a sit-down/stand-up/wander around/lean on a bench with you guys to figure this out.

I suppose now it's just a matter of when we all have time.

aburchell44

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon For Sale
I may have a line on the VR6 clutch kits, the 2.0L flywheel would be a different story.

As far as the install goes. If someone would help me I would do it at my shop when need be.

My A2 is a cinch to do, and the A4 is only heavier and a few more bolts.

Andrew

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
I may have a line on the VR6 clutch kits, the 2.0L flywheel would be a different story.

As far as the install goes. If someone would help me I would do it at my shop when need be.

My A2 is a cinch to do, and the A4 is only heavier and a few more bolts.

Andrew
What little mechanical knowledge I have is yours. Happy to put mt back into things like this.
In fact, I'd wager since you're good enough to offer, you'll never be short for help.

I'll poke around for 2.0 flywheels and see what I see...

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE

Cheers
Thnaks DC - I actually recalled you mentioning this once during my research.

Didn't get quotes on it, as I figured an evening with you and Andrew, a few beers, etc was the next natural step in this research anyway.

I'd like to have a sit-down/stand-up/wander around/lean on a bench with you guys to figure this out.

I suppose now it's just a matter of when we all have time.
No prob, anytime.
As I mentined before, just don't want to see everyone go out and empty their pocket books for something that can be done cheaper.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
No prob, anytime.
As I mentined before, just don't want to see everyone go out and empty their pocket books for something that can be done cheaper.
So it's OK if we bring Colt 45 instead of Keiths next time...?

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
No prob, anytime.
So it's OK if we bring Colt 45 instead of Keiths next time...?
Let's not get too crazy here... and the beer of choice is Schoon-Dogg!
If you showed up with Colt 45, your status as a Maritimer would be removed and we'd have no other option but to ship you out of the country.

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Yay to bringing back dead threads.

But anyway has this just died out or is there still any intrest in it. I was thinking I was done with my car at least of this year but I am getting the itch again. Just wondering if anything else is going to come from this or is it every man for themselves now?

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Im still hopin to pick-up a Spec Cluch kit so i can maintain the DM flywheel. That way i can get a little more serious about this RC stage3. I've got a spare ecu just waitin to be upgraded but Im holdin out for the clutch swap.

Yay for bringing back dead threads

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
So you want to keep running the same flywheel you already have and just use a different pressure plate and clutch disk?

Vorlons

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, Reflex Silver
I also need stronger clutch after my Sprint 520 nozzle / RC2 / Euro firmware upgrade.

I am very interested in how people are doing with a Spec clutch kit using stock DMF. My wife also drives car and she is not so good on manual trans. A clutch upgrade that keeps engagement smooth, clutch pedal force, and vibration as close to stock would be ideal.

Once I get upgraded clutch I would upgrade to RC stage 3 and that would be the extent of my power mods. So, a clutch that can handle 300lb would do it as this setup would be around 285lb or so if I remember correctly.

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
I also need stronger clutch after my Sprint 520 nozzle / RC2 / Euro firmware upgrade.

I am very interested in how people are doing with a Spec clutch kit using stock DMF. My wife also drives car and she is not so good on manual trans. A clutch upgrade that keeps engagement smooth, clutch pedal force, and vibration as close to stock would be ideal.

Once I get upgraded clutch I would upgrade to RC stage 3 and that would be the extent of my power mods. So, a clutch that can handle 300lb would do it as this setup would be around 285lb or so if I remember correctly.
I am really pleased with my SPEC stage 1 clutch and DMF setup. The engagement is very smooth, no noise or vibration and it handles all the torque of my mods without any problem (see sig). I have about 4k miles on it so far.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Thanks mwalters! Nice to hear first hand form folks who've done similar stuff to what we're planning on.

Bmarc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks a lot of the info. This seems to be the best(cheapest) idea for a clutch upgrade. I was just on their site and you can get the stage 1 for roughly $460+shipping CND and that should handle up to 300ft/lbs. So that puts us at what around 800 for the upgrade and installation.

Vorlons

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, Reflex Silver
So I have to ask. If a Spec 1 clutch kit using stock DMF can hold same approx torque as VR6 clutch kit and G60 flywheel, why would you want to get away from the DMF?

For sake of discussion, if both setups can hold the same torque, what is advantage on one over the other?

I see Spec 1 with DMF as cheaper, and from other posts less vibration then the G60 flywheel, why would I not want to keep DMF?

Thanks.

mwalters

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI 2013 Tornado Red
So I have to ask. If a Spec 1 clutch kit using stock DMF can hold same approx torque as VR6 clutch kit and G60 flywheel, why would you want to get away from the DMF?

For sake of discussion, if both setups can hold the same torque, what is advantage on one over the other?

I see Spec 1 with DMF as cheaper, and from other posts less vibration then the G60 flywheel, why would I not want to keep DMF?

Thanks.
Exactly the same question I asked myself - and answered!