What tires did you replace your stock Conti's with???

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
I'd like to hear others doing 235's - similar experiences? I'm interested in the nicer ride and filling in the space gap a bit, but not at expense of hydroplaning, as rain is a frequent occurrence in Pittsburgh.

thanks
Personally I would have liked a set of the Primacy, but in the 235/45-17 they were too expensive by about $160 (the cost of a whole tire)! So I settled on the YK580's. Good ride and so far comparable handling in dry and wet. Being in texas I can't comment on the snow. In my younger years living in the PA mountains up by Johnstown I only drove 4x4's, mostly scoobies and I would have a set of studded tires on steelies for it.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I went with 225/45/18 Continental PureContact with Eco. Getting them installed tomorrow afternoon and will report the initial feel.

Stallhorn

TDI
2011 sprotwagen
I was tempted to purchase through Costco but they didn't feature the Y rated tires and I had concerns about quality of service from a previous purchase of tires for our '08 Honda Odyssey van . . . turnaround for the vehicle was greater than 2 hrs.
I got the "Y" rated tires from Costco's online store by pretending I have an Audi A3. Once it arrived, they checked to make sure it would fit on my car (which I knew it would) and put it on. But you are right about the wait time. For me, it was 2.5 hours but we walked to the neighborhood mall with the kids. As far as service quality, they did a good job - inflated the tire with Nitrogen, put 40 PSI in them per my request, and told me to bring them back for rotation every 5k miles. So it was a good experience overall.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I went with 225/45/18 Continental PureContact with Eco. Getting them installed tomorrow afternoon and will report the initial feel.

Liking the Continentals a lot so far. They were noisy for about the first 50 miles or so. It's so nice to drive with them especially on the highway. Even the gf commented that it's quieter! I bought myself new wheels which was the reason for new tires :D

ADFTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6MT, 2 door, black.
I swapped the OEM contis out at 8500 miles for continental DWS. I have about 15500 miles on them now. They are way quieter than the oem tires. I love twisty roads and drive a lot of them on my commute. At first the tires felt floaty and disconnected but once you get to know them, the limits are every bit as high if not higher than the OEM tire. I have 2 autoX events on them and they are barely worn. less then 3/32nds has worn off yet. I would highly recommend them. As far as summer tires, the michelin super sports cant be beat.

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
Stock Hankooks here, which I found wore quite well. Still some tread at 45,000, but I run them year round and wanted to change them for winter. I'm going with Nokian WRG2 - they'll be on this week. My other choice was the Continental ExCon DWS, but I got a better deal on the Nokians.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Ol Ruby is in for her 40K today and the master tech didn't even bother rotating the stock Conti's I knew they were low and it seems they are to the wear bars already and quite noisy.

All I care for is a tire that wears like iron and can still be relatively quiet. A 60K tire would be a great find. I could care less about high performance, just a solid all season tire.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I put the 16" General Altimax winter tires / wheels on the car a couple of weeks ago. The stock Conti's only have about 20K on them but are already at the wear indicators (front & back). I think the General winter tires are actually quieter than the stock Conti's.

Come spring, I'm going with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for the 17" Portos. Since tuning the car, the front wheels spin easily so I'm looking for more grip.

wsktdi

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
All I care for is a tire that wears like iron and can still be relatively quiet. A 60K tire would be a great find. I could care less about high performance, just a solid all season tire.
I replaced mine with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires in 225/50r17 size and I couldn't be happier. Quieter than the oems, they ride extremely well and are a 70,000 mile rated tire.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I can get some Nokian WR G2 locally

$182.83 per tire on clearance installed (all weather-severe service rating for winter, 55,000 limited mileage warranty, low rolling resistance, silica based tread compound, great tire for year round use with excellent winter performance)

Year round use and a great snow rating saves me from buying a winter set of wheels/tires. I know they are spendy and that price may be different at other retailers in my area. I have read great things about these tires.

Last edited:

JohnnyChimpo

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold), 2013 Golf TDI
Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 225/45/17s put on three days ago, just in time for the first fall snow storm. They stick like glue. Once you go Blizzak you never go back :D

Come spring I'll probably go with the 970 Pole Positions on a new set of 18" black Khartoum wheels.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Conti PureContacts on mine. One of the best tires I have had so far and will replace them with the same thing once they wear.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Looking at Discount Tire at some Goodyear Assurance (65K mi) or Pirelli Cinturado P7 (70K mi)

Wife has the GY's on her Corolla and they have another 15-20K left and will get her 65K easily. They are noisy now however which I suspect is the norm on any tire once worn past 50% life.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Upadate! Michelin MXM4's now have around 67,560 mi on them and still have 6/32" left. Taking a road trip to California at the end of this month and am totally confident in their ability to hold up and still remain quiet. Very pleased with these tires. Happy driving yall!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Upadate! Michelin MXM4's now have around 67,560 mi on them and still have 6/32" left. Taking a road trip to California at the end of this month and am totally confident in their ability to hold up and still remain quiet. Very pleased with these tires. Happy driving yall!
Way good ! Assuming you started @ 10/32nd in tread, @ 6/32nd in remaining you are getting app 16.9k miles per 1/32nd in. Unless you are unhappy with the tire or want another variable that may or may not be better in another tire, NO reason to switch tire models for your next set. You are on track for 120,000 miles !

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Way good ! Assuming you started @ 10/32nd in tread, @ 6/32nd in remaining you are getting app 16.9k miles per 1/32nd in. Unless you are unhappy with the tire or want another variable that may or may not be better in another tire, NO reason to switch tire models for your next set. You are on track for 120,000 miles !
Actually, I put the tires on around 37,000mi. So, I really am getting about 7,700 mi / 32". Still not bad!

dadster

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen
Just replaced the OEM Conti's at 29K with 225/50-17 Cooper RS3-A's. Couldn't pass these up at an out the door price of $94.11 each (includes install, road hazard and $100 rebate).

The larger size looks great and rides much more smoothly. Expansion joints are a mild thump and the jiggle at low speed is gone.

Don't do any F&F driving but on/off ramps are more fun!

Recommended for a lower cost, quality solution. I doubt if I'll see high mileage out of these but they have impressed the real critic here (my better half).

Thommy D

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI

Nice, I was looking at those and waited too long and my OEM tires were toasted after a 2500 mile roadie. Costco didn't have them so I cheaped out on bridgestone ecopias. I don't like birdgestones from past experience, but I was in a jam. I already posted in this thread I am not really happy (harmonics)

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
This spring I put a set of Continental Extreme DWS on my JSW. So far I like them. I wanted pilot sports, but wasn't feeling flush enough. The Conti Extreme DWS seemed a bit noisy at first, but they seem to have settled down. The rounder sidewall seems to soften the ride a bit compared to the stock pro contacts. They seem like a solid tire without being rough. Mileage TBD.

I just bolted on the 16" General Altimax set on steelies and am in winter tractor mode now. I would love Nokian WRs, but picked these up last year at half the price. They work well in the snow, but don't do as well when it warm up.

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Looks mine are getting replaced this weekend :(

9 minute tire change in 4 degree weather. :) haven't pulled it out yet to see what the foreign object is.

Sent from my iPhone using

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Ended up with a set of Nitto Motivos. Time will tell, but reviews and prices was really good and $650 otd with replacement certificates seemed good. They are a 60,000 mile tire and are night and day as far as road noise goes.

limbwalker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
I replaced mine with a set of Barum Bravarus 2's and was very pleased with those. I got nearly 80K out of that set with very little road noise and excellent mileage.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I replaced mine with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires in 225/50r17 size and I couldn't be happier. Quieter than the oems, they ride extremely well and are a 70,000 mile rated tire.

Put them on the Golf. Nasty snow turned to ice for a week so far. Good handling haven't put chains on yet but had to on the F250. We'll see about 70K. Was originally going for mxm4 or hv but these were better rated for snow.

Last edited:

Daugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2dr DSG
Put them on the Golf. Nasty snow turned to ice for a week so far. Good handling haven't put chains on yet but had to on the F250. We'll see about 70K. Was originally going for mxm4 or hv but these were better rated for snow.

Glad to hear you like the P7s. Quite a coup for Pirelli to land at number one in the Tire Rack category for our cars. I chose number two, the new
Conti Pure Contact, a LRR tire but still handles very nicely, quite grippy, good in rain, and very quiet. Not tried them in snow yet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

I put these on my new to me TDI recently to replace the low end Hancooks the dealer had put on. Hancook actually makes some good tires, just not what they put on. Really pays to study TireRack.

RHunter

TDI
2011 JSW
Just put new shoes on my '11. I debated and re-read this thread at least a dozen times trying to figure out what to get...

I finally ended up with Conti ProContact DSW's from TireRack.

I replaced the OEM's at 36k-ish (ish due to Cluster failure replaced under warranty)

Too soon to tell how they are, I hope they hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callmekurt

TDI
2011 Golf
I ended up with Primacy MXM4's from Costco. ~$700. I've got about 2k on them. They're a more solid ride (if that makes sense) than my stocks. Car feels more solid on bumps and cracks - whereas before, bumps/potholes made my teeth rattle.

We've had a bit of snow - definitely not great, but ok for an all-weather. In Pgh, we have lots of twisties with cracks and I can feel a bit more "skip" in the turns now.

So all in all, OK. For 7 bills, I would've liked more performance. But not bad.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I had MICHELIN Stock Tires. The last 25 years I drove only on MICHELIN's