0W-30 VW 507.00 Oil Hitting the Market

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just got off of the phone with Pennzoil.

Around the end of March/early April, Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 oil will be released, which will have the VW 507.00 approval on it. This oil will be part of their Platinum line.

Haven't seen it discussed here...thought I'd share.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Platinum = GTL?

Thanks for the post Philth. I have also heard similar feedback from Shell a few weeks ago. The upcoming Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 is already in the Mercedes Benz list of approved 229.52 list of oils! I wonder if it will be similar to this oil available in Europe:

Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30

Some questions:

1) Are all the Platinum line of Pennzoil oils derived from GTL (gas to liquid)?

2) What are your thoughts of this Platinum oil vs. the current Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 which has excellent specs (such as HTHS = 3.68!)?

Last edited:

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
I am no oil expert but seems from your comment you have a better feeling about Penzoil than other name brands. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks
I don't think it's the Pennzoil part he's happy about; its the 0w-30 spec.

One of the theories about the cause of CKRA turbo failures is that the turbocharger fails to receive adequate lubrication when the oil is cold and thus thicker than it is at operating temperature.

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
I don't think it's the Pennzoil part he's happy about; its the 0w-30 spec.

One of the theories about the cause of CKRA turbo failures is that the turbocharger fails to receive adequate lubrication when the oil is cold and thus thicker than it is at operating temperature
Correct :) All things being equal - and I know they aren't always equal - when cold, a 0w30 will flow better and warm up quicker than a 5w30.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Yes, actually this is already out for MB engines requiring the Mobil One ESP MB Formula M 5w40, aka MB 229.51 specification (5w30) to MB 229.52 (0w30). There are some oils that in effect share the VW AND MB specifications. Since 5w30 is actually a key issue with VW 507 specifications, the only question is IF VW will change the numbering to reflect a change in viscosity (0w30).

So for example, the 14 MB GLK 250 BT is a TWIN TDI !!! It can use 5w40, 5w30, 0w30. I got 24 units of Formula M, 5w40 , MB 229.51 and will use that for @ least 3 oil changes of a minimum of 10,000 miles each, before reading the tea leaves on the next greatest brews.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I agree, this is great news, and I will switch without hesitation to a 0W-30 that's 507.00 approved. We've used nothing in our SAAB gas cars but Mobil 1 0W-40 for 15 years, on both Garrett and Mitsubishi turbochargers, and nary a hint of trouble. Have around 170K on the one we have now....

dieselhaze

TDI
2013 passat tdi se 6m
My local autozone carries this mobil one ESP 0w30. I have looked at it but there is no 507 approval on it.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Pitchar, the IDParts product is the Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30. This DOES carry the VW 504.00/507.00 rating.

The product in this discussion is Mobil-1 ESP 0W-30 which does NOT carry the VW 504.00/507.00 rating presently.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
The spec I look for now is BMW Longlife-04 (LL04). A lot of the oils with VW 507.00 approval also have LL04 approval. IIRC, BMW's LL04 spec straddles the xW-30 / xW-40 boundary, similar to VW 505.01 and MB229.51. :cool:

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
Last edited:

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
This whole business of "which oil is correct" gets curiouser and curiouser. The VW 507.00 spec which is supposed to be for all "common rail DPF equipped". It ranges from the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w-30 which according to this website is the ONLY oil to use due it's lower ash content. "They should use only 507 spec engine oil, an ultra low ash engine oil to maximize the DPF lifespan. Using poor quality fuel or anything else that leaves excess ash will cause the DPF to fill up. The DPF can only burn out trapped soot - ash stays until the DPF is removed and cleaned."
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/engine-oil-list-for-tdi-diesel/

But if you go to the 3/6/09 VAG bulletin it states 0w-40 and 5w-40 as well. :confused: Can't wait to rip out all that "greenness" once the warranty has expired.

Signed,
"Coal the Confused"

Last edited:

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I hear you COAL ROLLER, it will be a while for my MK7 but that is my plan also. Rip out all that extra BS on the exhaust side and add a nice stage I tune.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
This whole business of "which oil is correct" gets curiouser and curiouser. The VW 507.00 spec which is supposed to be for all "common rail DPF equipped". It ranges from the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w-30 which according to this website is the ONLY oil to use due it's lower ash content. "They should use only 507 spec engine oil, an ultra low ash engine oil to maximize the DPF lifespan. Using poor quality fuel or anything else that leaves excess ash will cause the DPF to fill up. The DPF can only burn out trapped soot - ash stays until the DPF is removed and cleaned."
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/engine-oil-list-for-tdi-diesel/

But if you go to the 3/6/09 VAG bulletin it states 0w-40 and 5w-40 as well. :confused: Can't wait to rip out all that "greenness" once the warranty has expired.

Signed,
"Coal the Confused"
Any 507.00 oil can be used in your common rail.

The documents in question cover all VW/Audi engines. 0w40 and 5w40 of certain specs can be used in certain VW engines (older TDIs, older and current gas engines). Unlike a typical engine, European engines state performance specification and grade (applicable to climate)

http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-1997-2014-Technical-Service-Bulletin.pdf

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I would have to agree that rolling coal just for its own sake is noxious, obnoxious, inefficient, and somewhat antithetical to whole point of tdi's. That said, a downpipe is in my cars near future. I always thought the 507 requirements precluded anything other than 5w-30. Maybe not?

Last edited:

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I hear you COAL ROLLER, it will be a while for my MK7 but that is my plan also. Rip out all that extra BS on the exhaust side and add a nice stage I tune.
LOL thought I would get some attention with the above.
I'm a GREAN and CLEAN kind of guy.
Solar electric at home and very energy efficient. ;)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Both oils in Europe (the one I listed and your link) are 507 approved.

As far as I know these oils are not available in North America. But the upcoming Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 oil that we are talking about in this thread has very similar characteristics according to this discussion on BITOG.

I venture to say that the Pennzoil oil will not be GTL (gas to liquid) based but I could be wrong. Also no indication of the HTHS value so I will assume to be 3.5 (the minimum requirement).

Is this Helix 0W30 have the official 507.00 rating?
I cant read German but if you look at its TDS it does show 507.00:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDO...0W-30_(C2_C3_VW504_507_MB229.52)_(de)_TDS.pdf
I take it that it s not available in NAmerica?
Or now what about this HELIX?
http://lubricantes-online.com/WebRo...A052/Helix_Ultra_Professional_AV_0W30_tds.pdf

copperbeech

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI MT Sportwagon.
But the upcoming Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 oil
A friend of mine spoke with a Shell/Pennzoil rep in Canada last week and my guy was told that this impressive oil will be available in Canada (and I am sure the US) in the next couple of weeks.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
A friend of mine spoke with a Shell/Pennzoil rep in Canada last week and my guy was told that this impressive oil will be available in Canada (and I am sure the US) in the next couple of weeks.
I imagine that this is the oil that Mercedes dealers are now selling up here

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX is a GTL oil after all. I missed the 'pureplus' at the top of the spec sheet.

I wonder how much more this 'fancier' oil will cost as compared to the competitively priced Ultra Euro L (5W-30 VW507), and why it will be worth it (or not).