RNS315 install with gps?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am installing my RNS315 NAV unit in my Beetle and have a question. I have the OEM square NAV antenna and want to install it in the dash where there is a small square already that looks like it is made for it. What is under this square and can the gps antenna go there? Here is a pic. The square is in the center of the dash between the windshield air vents.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I used double-sided tape and attached it to the underside of the dash to the left of the radio. I did not want to mess with the gauge pod.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I used double-sided tape and attached it to the underside of the dash to the left of the radio. I did not want to mess with the gauge pod.
I don't want to mess with it either, hence the question. If that piece is removable then it could go right there. Have you had any issues under the dash where you placed yours? I have read as long as it is only plastic and glass in the way it will work fine. Any metal around it will limit the signal. My plan was to put a metal piece on the back of that square and my gps antenna seems to have a magnet in the bottom, and stick it to that.