Best place to buy a turbo

Mike Piles

Veteran Member
TDI
I have 2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed. I need a new or rebuilt turbo for it . Which is better. New or rebuilt. Where is the best place to buy? Thanks

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
There are a few different ways, I have only bought 1 new turbo but I've got 3 or 4 salvage yard turbos...after the egr delete, taking the turbo off isn't too bad...

If salvage yard turbo interests you, check for play in the shaft and if the charge pipe or intercooler is there look for oil...they don't scare me yet...but I haven't been bitten by one yet either

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
As far as places to buy, price shop...do you want a Garrett, Borg Warner or something cheap...Google VNT 15 or whatever turbo you want and figure price and shipping...

There are probably some that have had good luck with cheap but if you go cheap don't say you weren't warned...my last salvage yard turbo is aftermarket but I'm not sure if it was even started with the new turbo, seals are tight and no play so it may be put in service soon...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
New please. There may be some good rebuilds out there but who knows who they are.
Buy from a reputable vendor. Even try dealers, haggle over price.
With the price of these, some risk a used unit, but stay away from discount brands like what's on ebaly, Amazon, Alibabba, Prothe. Authentic Garrett or Borg Warner. What came in the car will work best.