Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
On MK4 Golf the low beam never turns off, ever when the high beam is on. I believe this is the standard with 2 bulb headlight systems. My 2010 Jetta wagon was the same way.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
On MK4 Golf the low beam never turns off, ever when the high beam is on. I believe this is the standard with 2 bulb headlight systems. My 2010 Jetta wagon was the same way.
What about when you push the stalk forward?

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
IIRC that's true... On the A4 Golf, whether you pull back (flash) or forward (high beam on) both bulbs light up. I believe the logic is with w/2 discreet bulbs (Golf) it's OK to light both based on the interior volume and distance from the bulbs. Overall housing heat isn't really an issue. On the Jetta however, because they use a dual element single bulb, lighting both filaments at the same time would overheat within the capsule and either fry the filament(s) and/or burst the bulb. Volume and housing heat aside.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm sure flash just raises the shutter/cutoff shield to enable the high beams momentarily. Jeff can answer for sure, though.

TDI
The answer to this may or may not be listed earlier in the thread..but it case it has not:

On the Jetta: high beams lower the cutoff shield. Light goes upward and downward.

Golf: I can wire them up a number of ways. I can make the HID be just for the low beam in which case the stock halogen high beam would activate for highs and flashing, I can make the HID projector be the only light for high and low beams in which case the HID cutoff shield would retract and the halogen high beam bulb would never activate. Or I can do both, where pushing or pulling the turn signal stalk would activate both the stock halogen high beam as well as make the cutoff shield retract.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Can you post a few pics?
These were completely plug and play as Jeff wires the lens inside the light housing. So all you do is plug in the original connector to the factory harness. The ballast wiring connectors are exiting the large rubber boot over the low beam light area and all you do is plug in the ballast connectors. Very simple and a neat set up.

Left side:

Right side:

Front:

How they work:

Note: on MKV's, there are several adjustments for light position/aiming.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Are these for low and high beams?
That depends on the application and the owner's preference. On cars with dual lamps, you can have the HIDs do high beams, retain the stock halogen high beams, or do both together. On vehicles with only one lamp (Mk4 Jetta, for example), the HIDs will do both high and low beams.

TDI
I think anyone wanting a set of V lights, I would just place the ballasts inside the of the headlight, it is a clean and more simple install. idk about the high beams on the V lights either. I have only done the set above, but I remember the wiring for the highs being so tight, that there was no slack for me to get in there to mess around with them. there was zero possibility of me cutting/crimping/soldering wires inside of that assembly. That may have just been those lights though. I am doing another set of them either tonight or tomorrow so I will have a better idea on the high beam.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
With respect to the light quantity with just a low beam HID and a stock halogen high beam, in my set up above, I have plenty of light when the high beam is activated.

Putting in an HID fog light set up in addition to the HID/halogen lenses may be a better use of your money than an HID high beam (if that is possible).

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
Hooked them up this morning. Was easier that I anticipated. Disabled the DRL's for right now but will hook them back up when the LED's come in.
Getting started:

Side by side:

One in:

Almost done:

Finished:
Will adjust them tonight after dark before I put the cover back on. Used the spacers Jeff sent me on the bottom mounts to give a little better adjustment since I have air shocks on the back.

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
very nice, thanks for sharing. They look great. Anyone know what type of bulb is in the turn signal?