Vendor Accountability Thread

TDI
04 BEW Golf
And for the record, the end result of me not accepting the return is threat of posting this publicly.

I won't be threatened into giving a refund to someone! Period. That's not how I do business and that's not how I want people to do business with me.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Sounds like a grounding issue with the radio. Does the Gromm unit have its own ground?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
A .05$ piece of tape that will cost you in the neighborhood of $25 in fuel, time, and labor to source and replace.

The customer is NOT always right.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
And for the record, the end result of me not accepting the return is threat of posting this publicly.

I won't be threatened into giving a refund to someone! Period. That's not how I do business and that's not how I want people to do business with me.
Personally I dont believe you should resell this item again as new. Its no longer new, its been installed and you have knowledge of that. Selling it as new is a deceptive practice in my opinion. Open box item, yes, at a small discount of maybe 10% or free shipping (I understand you have withdrawn your offer to return and have chosen to send it back on your dime). Personally after hearing you would knowingly resell a used item, that you have knowledge of being installed and used as new does not sit well with me. The purchaser had trouble with the unit, had contacted you saying he was sending it to the manufacturer for repair. And after getting it back still had trouble with it. Its not your fault it didnt work in his car. You said yourself that youve only known of two that had issues. I do give you credit for excepting the return after your usual 14 day timeframe for returns. And as far as threatening you about posting feedback, I dont see that as a threat. Especially since he did post it, now its no longer a threat. I see it as more of an opportunity for you as a business owner to think about what you should have done, excepting the return and having him send you a piece of tape if that was so important to you. Good luck with your business, but after reading how you handled this return I doubt you will ever get my business. Good business is measured on more than just selling a product its more importantly measured on how things like this are handled.

dcwilson

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
it's a 0.05$ piece of tape now but it could have been a messed up owner's manual or something else. i understand about the box and that I can replace, but a missing piece is a missing piece no matter what it is.
Keep this in mind, I have resell this after, any other buyer won't want to have your pre-installed adapter if I can't show it be "as new" which it's not. yes because of minor part but that what's policies are for.
I was also agreeing to a full refund (minus shipping fees yes) almost 1 1/2 months after purchase... again going against what I state on my site where I list 14days.
Even more I decided to send your interface back today at my expense since we weren't agreeing to the restocking and you end up making me look like a thief in 2 different threads here...
I'm not making you look like a thief in any way in these posts... Simply stating the facts. You never took anything from me, I never took anything from you. I'm unhappy with your decision to turn down my refund because of a piece of tape which I also offered to replace after you had told me a refund is no problem.
You're reasons went from the piece of tape to my threat of posting this publicly? The problem is, it should never even get to the point where the customer has to threaten to post this publicly.
Sounds like a grounding issue with the radio. Does the Gromm unit have its own ground?
I went over a lot of troubleshooting with the guys at Grom and tried many grounding options. Nothing worked. Support at Grom said it could be a compatibly issue with my stereo. VW had the Premium 6 stereo head unit manufactured by a few different companies over the years and my unit which is made in Mexico just may not be compatible because the guys at Grom weren't familiar with the specific kind of Premium 6 Stereo.
A .05$ piece of tape that will cost you in the neighborhood of $25 in fuel, time, and labor to source and replace.
The customer is NOT always right.
Hence why I offered to send him replacement 3M double sided foam tape.
What does the 25% restocking fee come out to?
$31.25

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
If you paid for shipping too, then I don't think it is right for you to be charged the restocking fee. Vendor should view this as the cost of doing business. Its not worth the bad press to haggle over an item like a piece of tape that couldn't be reused.

Penny wise and pound foolish if you ask me...

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
The beef is between vendor and manufacturer as I see it. The OP bought the item in good faith, it did not work as advertised, and then manufacturer is unable to make it work so.

Unless the vendor specified at point of sale that the item would only work with specific variants of radio, it seems to me that an immediate refund is in order and that the vendor should require the manufacturer to accommodate any costs.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
^ That is what would happen had I bought a gizmo at a retail store and it didn't work. That it was unwrapped from the original box, and that consumable parts such as tape, zip-ties, etc were used in the installation prior to finding out that it didn't work, is not my problem. That the retailer is thus unable to resell at full retail price after I've returned it, is also not my problem.

We've seen both sides of this story; it's time to cease and desist with this particular discussion unless something changes.

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Both you guys have expended more than $30 in time, bandwith, angst, frustration, energy, installation, uninstallation, shipping, etc.

Tell you what, shake hands, bury the hatchet and I'll send you $15 each - splitting the difference.

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I wouldn't hesitate to buy from vendor David@Ottostadt. It sounds like he has been reasonable, the issue was not with a part that he sold, rather it was with a "quirk" on your radio.
+1 bought from him in the fall. Great guy,good service,fast shipping.

shuswap

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW auto
+1 bought from him in the fall. Great guy,good service,fast shipping.

UNLESS...the gadget doesn't work, then I'm not so sure your comments apply as I understand them.

BTW, I've noted the other vendors who have agreed with his policy...I choose to purchase from those who treat me a little better than that.
The tape issue is small and nit-picking and I prefer to deal with people who don't look for an 'out' as feeble as that one.
Ask yourself:
Precisely what is it that DCwilson should have done differently??

Last edited:

worm12ga

TDI
Mk2 Jetta AHU swap, 03 Golf Tdi
You screwed up my sister's car, did not answer the phone during regular business hours, and never returned my messages. I cannot recommend anyone bring any car to you, much less a TDI. Very disappointed, since you came recommended word-of-mouth.

Honest shops either own up to their mistakes, or at least respond to polite phone messages regarding the problem.

4ringking

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
A few Audi's?
You screwed up my sister's car, did not answer the phone during regular business hours, and never returned my messages. I cannot recommend anyone bring any car to you, much less a TDI. Very disappointed, since you came recommended word-of-mouth.

Honest shops either own up to their mistakes, or at least respond to polite phone messages regarding the problem.
AJ, I saw your post today and, for a second time, I am sorry to hear about the issue you have had with the VW Golf. As you may remember, I did respond to your first post on January 15 addressing your issue (your first comment is here on http://www.vcarshops.com/new-jersey/ja-autowerks) Since that first post in January, I have not received any additional feedback or correspondence from you. If you have continued issues with the service you received, I encourage you to contact me direct so we can work this out. As I indicated previously, I remember the vehicle and discussing the work with your sister. We were pricing this job out based on the fact that this vehicle was at the end of its service life and a "budget repair" was only necessary. The vehicle was also in need of other repairs and maintenance, but your sister declined all those repairs based on this fact.

Unfortunately, I do not remember receiving a phone call or message about any issues in this matter. After reading your second comment today, I can only think that the phone call may have been made during our vacation period in September in which JA Autowerks was closed.

JA Autowerks backs up all our TDI work with a 24 month or 24K miles warranty. I personally have over a thousand TDI repairs under my belt and only a handful of times have I had to honor this warranty. With that said, I would have had no problem reinspecting the vehicle and addressing any issues pertaining to the work performed at JA Autowerks at no cost. Customer service is our main priority and we have spent the past several months investing in staff and office personnel to ensure our customers' experience surpasses that of any other shop. If you have any other question or would like to talk about this matter, please call the shop at (732) 268-7381 and I would be more than happy to talk to you directly about the matter.

sea2sum

TDI
Beetle
Anyone have problems with Goodtransmissions?

I recently ordered a part that arrived damaged from vendor Goodtransmissions. I got his info from this forum. Has anyone else had problems with him? He is not being very helpful with making it right. I'd like to know if this is an isolated incident or common so that other members don't get taken like I did.

Thanks, Sean

OptimusFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 DEAD-RED Jetta
What's the problem? So others could know how you got taken?

Did you pay him with Paypal? If so, contact them. They may help. If you used a credit card, check with them as well.

barriesr/t

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta (sold), 02 Jetta tdi (sold), 2003 Golf TDi and 2006 Jetta TDi
MJM Autohaus - unable to supply parts now wont issue refund

Hey all,

I ordered parts from MJM autohaus on June 17 /18 2013 for delivery the following week. When I ordered I was given a notification that my parts would be there within 2-5 business days. As I was shipping the parts to my friends house in North Carolina (Im a Canadian and MJM's prices are way better then CDN prices). When I hadnt seen the order status change to shipped I started calling 5 days after I ordered. I called several times a day for 4 business days. In the end MJM and I agreed that since the warehouse wouldn't take their calls there was no reasonable way that I would receive the order.

I was told they would cancel the order. The refund however was never processed. I have called, emailed and even sent a message here last week telling them I'm not interested in some drawn out drama. I just want a refund.

Long story short. No refund a month after order cancelled.

Fraudulent perhaps. I understand that sometimes deals cant come together in business but you can't keep my money because the warehouse wont take their order. ( ordered brake rotors/pads and front struts )

I have called my Credit card company. MJM since you wont respond to my emails or PM's here I would like a refund. As I said before I had no intention of posting anything.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Hey all,

I ordered parts from MJM autohaus on June 17 /18 2013 for delivery the following week. When I ordered I was given a notification that my parts would be there within 2-5 business days. As I was shipping the parts to my friends house in North Carolina (Im a Canadian and MJM's prices are way better then CDN prices). When I hadnt seen the order status change to shipped I started calling 5 days after I ordered. I called several times a day for 4 business days. In the end MJM and I agreed that since the warehouse wouldn't take their calls there was no reasonable way that I would receive the order.

I was told they would cancel the order. The refund however was never processed. I have called, emailed and even sent a message here last week telling them I'm not interested in some drawn out drama. I just want a refund.

Long story short. No refund a month after order cancelled.

Fraudulent perhaps. I understand that sometimes deals cant come together in business but you can't keep my money because the warehouse wont take their order. ( ordered brake rotors/pads and front struts )

I have called my Credit card company. MJM since you wont respond to my emails or PM's here I would like a refund. As I said before I had no intention of posting anything.
Too bad you didn't read the other things posted about this vendor in this thread and elsewhere on these forums before ordering. That's the main reason this thread exists- so people can research vendors before using them.
good luck getting your refund.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Yeah, they did the same thing to my cousin. He orders a 1.8T TB kit and weeks go by and no parts, no emails, no tracking, nothing. After several calls he finally demanded his money back and they reluctantly canceled the back order but I am not sure if he confirmed if they actually refunded his money or not.

Pretty shady business practices IMO. There's been a ton of complaints on vortex about MJM.

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
I have had similar experiences with them. Out of several vendors, that I have dealt with, Boraparts and IDparts are the best "big" ones. Even if they were out of something I have been called inside 24hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Just would like to share that I got a real good parts and service from Kermatdi(paul).I ordered full timing kit and he gave me real good deal also all the parts are OEM. gates timing belt(made in UK),conti serpentine belt,metal impeller made in Germany pump and nothing from china.Really happy with his service and parts.Thanks Paul....

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
Issues: MJM Autohaus

Another issue coming up with MJM Autohaus. Ordered some strut mounts on 8 August. About a week later, I received a call that the parts would be shipping in the next few days as they had a large call for these parts and had to restock. None of this information is available on their website about backorders. But good service so far.

To date, nothing has shown up and my order is still showing "pending" on their website.

Two days ago, I called them to get some information as to where the parts are. No answer so I left a message with name and phone number. No response though its been a couple of days. Nothing said about them being on vacation or other issues.

I guess the games have started. I'm close to initiating the chargeback. I don't have the time or inclination to deal with this kind of customer service, never mind the type of responses they came up with to Tom earlier in this post. Unfortunately, I only found out about these issues after he made mention above and I read about the issues with this vendor.

At this point, it would seem this vendor has gone downhill. Can't recommend at this point.

Update on this vendor. ( 9 September 2013)
I filed a Paypal claim. (Pay attention here.) I filed the dispute and received an answer from MJM. They seemed to have the part in stock all of a sudden and offered to send. Based on their BBB feedback of not sending out items ordered and then even though they agreed on a refund, they never followed up with that refund, I declined their offer. They actually sent the money back...in an echeck. This would take 3-5 business days to clear and upon that payment, Paypal closed the case! Remember that when you pay, the money is generally taken out of your account immediately.
Tonight I'm informed that the echeck in effect BOUNCED. Paypal has told me it will be another 3-5 days. I've now filed a complaint with Paypal as their policy seems to be that you can't reopen a case that's been closed. I've based my argument on the fact that Paypal closed the case, not me, therefore, this policy does not apply here.
Am I going to get anywhere? I doubt it, but we'll see. Its not enough to file a small claims case but I have friends in San Antonio where MJM operates out of.

Update 10 September:
Emailed and called Paypal, making them aware of the issues. Though they are going to give this vendor some more time (another 10 days) to come up with the funds, they confirmed my case was actually not closed. That's good news. Further, like a chargeback they have a hold on the money and will be refunding one way or the other, according to the agent on the phone. We'll see. Read the Better Business Bureau cases on line about non delivery and the issues this vendor has. It truly is a litany of sad dealings.

Last edited:
TDI
2002 Beetle TDI
Hi I tried working things out with this incident with sea2sum.

First thing as experienced mechanics when ordering a computer we would wisely check for broken and bent pins at time of delivery and prior to installing it.

At this point you would call in to make a claim before attempting to fix something you have bought.

Mister sea2sum claims he recieved a damaged product but he stated that.

1 The computer he recieved had a bent pin or pins. But that he tried to fix and straighten them before calling in with this problem. So at this point I assume he probably tried installing it bent the pins tried to straighten them out then called to complain about what happened. I ask him how he had tried to straighten them out he said with his fingers.

2 Notice please He called in after trying to straighten out the pins. Why would he try to straighten them out instead of calling and returning the part requesting a refund or exchange.

3 I tried to work it out with him telling him that I would send him a replacement if he would pickup the shipping charges. But he didn't want to pickup the shipping charges.

I also requested he send it back for a refund but he insisted that I just send another one at no cost. I was giving him a replacement at no charge just as long as he paid shipping. I also told him to make a claim to paypal so I could refund the money. That way paypal would have a track record on what he states and his claims.

I guess he didnt want to make a claim since I had the text and email he had sent me stating his course of action stating he had tried to straighten them out before calling in about this situation.

All his info was text or emails as proof of what he stated and how he said things occurred.

One thing I found was this listing of a vw tcm by Sean selling a tcm. This listing was in June 6 2013

sea2sum

I had just sent him one May 24 2013. Funny Ha.

FS: 01M Transmission ECU 01M 927 733 MK
For Sale: Good condition 01M transmission ecu. Verified as working correctly. Part number 01M 927 733 MK.

$100 bucks and it's located in SoCal

Thx

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Since rockauto is now a vendor on here, I'd like to share my recent (and last) experience... I've spent thousands on parts from them over the years. I do a bunch of work on weekends for friends/relatives and order mainly from rockauto. Had a couple minor issues in the past that were easily resolved, but not this one. New Bosal catalytic converter ($300+ piece of ill-fitting crap) cracked after a couple of months. Two gaskets needed to install (manifold and bottom seal). Contacted them and was told the cat and bottom (cheap) gasket would be covered along with shipping. I placed the identical order again (otherwise I'd have to return the defective parts ahead of time) and paid for return shipping.

They credited me for the two parts and a whopping $1.60 in shipping. I had to pay $13 shipping on the manifold gasket. I told them I'd never order from them again if they didn't make it right and they didn't care. They were very quick to remove me from their mailing list however...

All together, out $31.12 for the gasket and two way shipping. Horrible customer service. Good thing the local parts chains will match rockautos prices!

UPDATE: Offered me $11.61 in store credit after bringing it up on the forums (nothing after multiple emails), but I declined it. I appreciate the attempt, but too little, too late. Besides, store credit doesn't do anything for me since I won't be placing any more orders. If anything changes, I will report back.

UPDATE2: Since Advance Auto price matches rockauto, there is absolutely no reason to ever use them again. Returns are simple with no questions asked. I order online (many discount codes available) and pick it up in the local store.

Last edited:

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
Question on Guru vender ethics.

What would you think of a mechanic who attacks you verbally calling you names politically like a Socialist who could never change, simply to piss you off and have you move your business because he became busy with bigger jobs and you are suddenly after 5 years of business small potatoes? Is this any way to manage clientele? Wien clients?
I paid this guy every penny as agreed, bough a Jetta from him and was never verbally abusive to him and even spoke well of him. This contact was originally from TDICLUB and near Madison, Wi.
Not that it matters but I'm a centrist who never took a penny of free services in my life from the Govt. that was not paid in by my labors, worked all my life and paid all my taxes, paid all my bills and I'm 64 with a 800+ credit rating today.
Sound like a socialists? A lesson for other mechanics on how not to ruin their business in my opinion.
I now seek a NICE emotionally stable professional mechanic somewhere between Madison and MKE. :)

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Gary....

Simple. You have done work here. I have worked on your car many times at no or little notice. Given you free stuff and some serious discounts on other things. Never said anything the MULTIPLE times you went flighty after agreeing to buy used parts and then never called or came to claim them. Had multiple opportunities to sell them but still held them for months yet for nothing.

Then you whine and cry to me about the schedule being full and having to go to the dealer to do some work and while there sending me some cryptic message about a mysterious part...I mean ***....seriously. You are supposed to be an adult, you're in your 60's man grow up.

I just got tired off being guilt tripped and tread upon at will. I think I gave you more than enough chances including being cordial and giving you a steep discount the last time you were here because you always complain you have no money...plus listening to you rant about chem trails in the air:eek: and our great president. :rolleyes: Well shame on me....

END of the situation. Continue to bad mouth me on line and we will have a court case. Just because we don't see eye to eye it has ZERO to do with posting in the accountability thread. It's your way to "stick it to the man" man....

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Oh, and having multiple TDI club accounts is a no-no. As you do.

timeline

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta waggon TDI
I'll respond to this by direct email to Jason now that he has identified himself. Will not drag the club through this crap. I forgot my password from timeline when my computer crashed. I'll be happy to delete this one now. Anything else you want to make public go right ahead.

Last edited: