What tires did you replace your stock Conti's with???

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Hello fellow TDI'ers,

Just wanting to get some input on what tires y'all went with when the stock Conti's had lived out their lives, mine are at about 37,000. I drive a good mix of city and highway and I like to turn hard sometimes (freeway turn arounds/ wide intersections). Definitely more of a sporty driver in the city than an economy driver. However I do alot of mini roadtrips on the weekends (approx 200 mi) and At least one big one per year. Last year was out to CA to see family (5000 mi) I would like something that isnt toast within 20,000-25,000 mi. Any input is really appreciated. Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The stock Continentals on my Passat were replaced with Michelins when it had 1.7 miles on the odo. :D

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Haha I figured I'd use up the Continentals. Ive been looking at Michelins. Definitely a bit pricey but Ive heard great things. Even though we never really see snow or ice here in Austin Im still probably going to go all season because of the roadtrips I like to take. Probably go with a more Performance touring tire.

PicknCrew

TDI
2011 Golf TDI MT
Handling on my stock Conti's are starting to go away at 26k miles on them and getting noisy so I will be glad to get something better on when the time comes.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would go with Michelin Pilot Primacys. They're a summer tire, which shouldn't be a problem where you live, and I'll bet they'll ride and handle better than the Contis. Less noise, too. I was going to swap mine out but will probably wait until I get some miles out of them.

MartelArtifex

TDI
'11 Golf, '14 JSW
225/55-16s

225/55Z-16s are on my 10JSW as of yesterday. Finally wore out (thank goodness) the Hankooks at 59K (though they have another 15K of tread left). Conti Extreme DWS. No rub at any attitude or direction. Spend most of my miles on third-world-north-American-Interstates in mid-Michigan so I wanted the sidewall height, had considered 15's (it IS that bad around here). Usually run over 90 and for over an hour twice a day. Initial dry/cool handling feedback: Wow.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Stock on my car were Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's...one lousy tire...had them for four months and when I put on the snows, I sold them and replaced them with my current ContiExtremeContact DW...these are almost at the end of their life (1 summer!). Great tire but too soft and they wear quicky...

Just received from www.discounttiredirect.com [$91 cheaper than TireRack because of free shipping] my new set of:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, 225/45ZR-17 91Y BSW

These were highly recommended by my mechanic who drives an S4 and another guy in the shop who has a GTI. They have a high tread wear rating of 500 and have a fairly aggressive tread...

They'll be going on in June when I go in for my next service....

Last edited:

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS

Extrememly good ratings and not as expensive as other tires with similar ratings.

Stock on my car were Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's...one lousy tire...had them for four months and when I put on the snows, I sold them and replaced them with my current ContiExtremeContact DW...these are almost at the end of their life (1 summer!). Great tire but too soft and they wear quicky...
Summer tires usually don't last as long as other tires because of the softer rubber used. That's why I would go with a good all season instead. Although, according to Tirerack, tire wear is supposed to be good on the DW's

Last edited:

jtori

TDI
2012 JSW, 2012 Jetta Sedan
Replacement Tires for OEM

OEM tires are like starter printer cartridges or those cheap Chinese batteries supplied with new electronic devices. They're practically throwaways. I have had great success with the Michelins and will install a set of 16-inch MXV4s on my '12 JSW at the earliest convenience to replace my Bridgestone Turanza EL400s. Joe.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Be aware that the MXV4 and the MXM4 are different tires. The MXM4 is their latest 'green' LLR tire and uses a percentage of sunflower oil-enriched Helio Compound technology in an all-season tire to increase traction at low temperatures for improved braking and handling in the wet, as well as better overall performance in the snow. I replaced BS turanza's (16") with the MXM4's in 225-50-18, running at 40 psi. and I have been able to get in the high 40's (calculated) mpg, in spite of the taller, slightly wider, & heavier tire. So far about 3K miles, some rain (excellent performer) but no snow. Very quiet and handle predictibly, good tire. Shop around for best prices, Tire rack CAN be beaten on $$$.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks RNDDUDE, Im still shopping around. Probably going to go with the MXV4 rather than the MXM4. Apparently they reccomend the M4 for crossovers and minivans...something I am not haha. Plus V4 is also a LRR. But I think I have at least narrowed it down. Thanks again to everyone for your input.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
...Summer tires usually don't last as long as other tires because of the softer rubber used...
Well yeah I figured that but I hoped to get at least two season's out of them...the front are also very 'choppy' now...I guess there is a reason why my name is 'leadfoot' ;) I am having fun trying to burn off the rest of the rubber...new one's going on in 8500km...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Look at the wear ratings, tire wear has more to do with how aggressive the compound is than whether it's a summer or winter tire. However, stickier tires are typically dedicated summer tires.

Worst tire life I ever got was Hoosier R6s on my track day Golf. Lasted 12 hours on the track. Treadwear rating was 40. But boy were they sticky.

xeno555

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
Yea those crappy Continental only lasted mid 20k miles. Replaced with Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)(High Performance All-Season) and now about about 18k miles with no significant ware. And are quieter to boot.

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports - I was headed towards the Primacy MXM4's, but decided that I would try a dedicated summer tire instead of an all season (for a change of pace, and because I have winter tires). So far, pretty good!

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I have 33k on my original conti's. They actually haven a decent amount of tread left I believe. I think they should last me till 40k miles and then I'll start looking. I'll have to double check on them tomorrow.

Daniel L

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I'm planning to do the same thing as GraniteRooster with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I would've replaced them on the new car had I found a buyer for the Continentals.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R7AMAXHP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I ran these on my 02 Golf for pleanty of Miles. Does anyone have any Feed back on them on the Mk6's?
I've heard some good reviews on the General Altimax HP's, I think they're fabricated by Continental? Though cheaper in price then Continental brand-name I'd be interested in a long-term report.

As for the original question, if a Michelin MXM4 Primacy can get you a quiet and great ride for 60,000 miles - then it would off-set the initial higher cost of $40-$90 more per tire over the competition. I was never a fan of MXM4 or anything "Green" they produced back decade ago - but with improvements in technology it's a consideration to hear some feed back and possibly revisit that high mileage market again.

chetstash

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI; Former owner of 2010 JSW TDI
Were the Contis stock on 17" rims? I have OEM Hankook's on my 2010 with 16" rims. I'm at 41k miles and will need to replace in 5k miles or so. Any suggestions?

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
I love the Altimax on my Volvo 850 (about 20k on them now). It felt like a whole new chassis when I put them on and if anybody knows the 850-S70 that's a big deal. I have Conti DWS on my Jetta and wished I would have put the Altimax on instead (IMO).

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
I love the Altimax on my Volvo 850 (about 20k on them now). It felt like a whole new chassis when I put them on and if anybody knows the 850-S70 that's a big deal. I have Conti DWS on my Jetta and wished I would have put the Altimax on instead (IMO).
I too purchased a set of DWS Continentals. Lemme first start off by saying that at times these tires give a "floating" feel. Can't exactly specify that in words other than a sensation where the car floats [think elevator feel in the gut]. This to me is a sidewall issue, being a single ply tire. These are mounted on the 2006 MKV Jetta, 225/45-17 [GLI alloyed rims]. We've put 35,000 miles on them, wear is pretty good, maybe will get another 20,000 out of them [all highway]. They're quiet. Traction is pretty good. I would not go this route with the MKVI Golf though. After putting an aftermarket sway bar on the MKVI this past summer, the OEM Continentals made a night and day change. I thought originally the all-over-the-road tracking on uneven, crowned and grooved pavement was due to the tires performance. Nope. Once the sway-bar was installed [45 minutes] handling was F1. So for me? I'll replace the Continental tires w/exactly what is on presently.

It was that big of a difference. Anyone in the lower CT region bordering NY - can take it for a test drive, just P.M. me. Seriously.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I wonder how well you guys who like the General Altimax would like the General G-Max AS-03 tires that I'm leaning toward. I think they're priced similarly to the Altimax, but might be more performance oriented (which is fine for me, since I switch to the General Altimax Arctics in the winter, which are also great tires).

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Replaced my Michelin pilot stock tires with Nitto Invos, much better now. The pilots were pretty dangerous on the snow and wet weather performance was not that great.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Just remember, the crazier-kooler the tread pattern looks, usually the noisier over time the tire will be.

I really hate the fact that right after I bought the Altimax HP's the price jumped.