Good Automatic box?

kaneelschep

TDI
ex-66kw passat, ex-132kw a6. Audi a4 b5.5 tdi 85kw
I read some on the subject allready and I think most people confirm this, but just to be sure.
The automatic in the b5.5 passat is the ok one, no?
So the one with the 432 gear option under the d.
These are all the same? In v6, 1.8t, tdi?

Any tips what to look out for when buying a 2000 passat tdi with this box?

Thanks!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The v6 and 1.8t automatic are going to have different shift points and torque converter than the tdi. They are all "sport shift" automatics. Yes they wil bolt to the tdi motor but the v6 will be the only one that is even remotely close. I don't think it would run well with the tdi tcu. Even then it would probably not work well. I have the v6 5 speed manual in my passat since we didnt get the tdi 5 speed b5 or b5.5 cars in the us. It works fine unit about 75mph. After that it revs too high.

The biggest thing to look for on a used tdi b5.5 or b5 transmission is service history. These do not hold up well to neglect.

2nd is miles, sub 15000 is good sub 100,000. Is great.

I believe there is an upgraded torque converter and pump that can be installed before tossing it in the vehicle if you want her to be as bullet proof as possible. Oilhammer has abused his slush boxes for years and knows them well. Maybe he will chime in on how he'd prep a used slush box swap. Id go with manual myself if you're ok with a 3rd pedal.

kaneelschep

TDI
ex-66kw passat, ex-132kw a6. Audi a4 b5.5 tdi 85kw
I am sorry. You misunderstood. I dont want to swap anything.
I am looking to get a passat 5.5 tdi automatic. With the 1.9 ATJ engine.
And was wondering if this is the automatic box which lasts.
Since there were some VW automatics from that era that sucked. and I got confused which one.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Assuming its the same zf box we got here in the states its a fine gear box if it was serviced at regular intervals.

High mileage plus neglect on service usually means a limited life expectancy.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some early B5s got a 4sp automatic, do not know which diesel engine it would have been bolted to. We never got those here.

Starting around 2000, ZF made some internal improvements to the valve body of the 5HP19FL transmissions that addressed some issues they had.

Servicing them properly certainly helps, but it is an automatic, and there is zero chance I would ever consider one if I had access to a factory equipped manual box like Europe did. We ONLY got the automatic, and ONLY 2004-2005 as that is the only years any B5 Passat diesels were available here, and those are PD136 2.0L engines.