TDI 4Motion Gear Ratio Options

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I plan on having a place here in Portland, Oregon upgrade my 2004 5 speed Jetta TDI with 4Motion sometime within the next year or two. Consequently, I have some time to acquire all the parts. I had originally just planned on upgrading to an O2M 6 speed gear box, so I have done the research and I am familiar with the various gear ratios like DRW, ERF, etc.

With a full 4Motion setup, are the gear ratio codes the same, e.g. is it also DRW for the super long ratio version of the transmission? If not, what would be the DRW-equivalent if I am trying to find a full 4Motion parts kit? From what I understand, it's still an 02M 6 speed gear box, just with a different housing to support the additional shaft.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Subscribing. I'd like to make my wagon 4 motion as well :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
With a full 4Motion setup, are the gear ratio codes the same, e.g. is it also DRW for the super long ratio version of the transmission? If not, what would be the DRW-equivalent if I am trying to find a full 4Motion parts kit? From what I understand, it's still an 02M 6 speed gear box, just with a different housing to support the additional shaft.
the difference in the transmission is that the differential case has one end extended out past the carrier bearing, this is splined and what drives the transfer case.

Meaning the tcase sees wheel speed input, so the front ring and pinion ratio is totally independent of the tcase and rear diff ratio (which btw are all identical)

all you need is the TDI ratio 4motion transmission itself from overseas, you can source the rest of the 4wd parts from a wrecked audi TT

Or if you've already got the 02m in a 2wd version, you can get a 4motion differential carrier (or a limited slip diff assembly) and install it into your transmission, but you may need some machine work done to the case half, I'm not 100% the one to ask on that.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Thanks for the info. I had heard of Korwerks, the photo of all the cutoff backends lined up I find hilarious, but I'm hoping a local place here called Cascade German may be about to do something similar which would make things way easier for me. They are taking names of people who might be interested, but it's not a done deal yet from what I understand. When I eventually get everything installed, I was planning on adding Peloquin limited slip differentials to both the front and rear. I definitely want to make sure I get the TDI gear ratios.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"I was planning on adding Peloquin limited slip differentials to both the front and rear." benmarks

Ooooo, now that could be innerestin'! I love my Peloquin. It definitely changes cornering dynamics when pushing hard.
I'm just south of the NE snow belts, so no need for AWD.
I did see a nice R32 over the weekend, asking $11k. Gasser of course.
And a tranny, wrong ratios I'm guessing;

https://www.facebook.com/oneloveaut...148032858063/2572147679524765/?type=3&theater

https://www.oneloveautogroup.com/products/02m-6-speed-transmission-w-transfer-case

Last edited: