Weathertech In Channel Window Visors Rain Guards = Great on my MKiV

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Just wanted to give a thumbs up to Weathertech.

Great In Channel window visors/rain guards. $114 not bad for an investment and crucial accesory (for me at least) .

Easy install. No glue etc. Clean. Not bulging out.

Do it right, (not easy to mess up), and voila, 10-20min and youre done with install.

two thumbs up for a good product. was skeptical at first, glad i went with them

Can post pics if anyone wants to see. Just send the word

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Could i please see some pics,, I have been thinking of getting some but never seen them on a Jetta or Golf yet...just those cheap stick on ones i keep running across

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
You can see them on the Weathertech website where they have vid clips to show the install procedure. I had them on my Wagon and loved them. I also bought a set for my mom's MK5 Jetta and she loves them.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
I got those as my very first mod, based on past experience. That was 11 years ago. They're still holding up well. As the OP said, easy install, look good, and let me crack the window while parked in the summertime without it being obvious to onlookers. Good product.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Have them as well. As stated keeps air flow without seeing the window is open and keeps the rain if it happens out. You have a choice of tinted or clear. I had the stick ones-they suck.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd

first time posting...read a few lines of the "how to" and just figured i would try it and it worked out..but not as big as i wanted it. i will figure it out no biggie. wanted to hurry and get you the pics. enjoy

Last edited:

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
when you wash the car again, spray the window at a slightly upward angle on the center of the windows so it runs towards the new window wind-screens and let us know if any water intrudes into the cab.

Just curious how well the windows still seal...

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Very similar (if not identical) to the OEM ones I bought for my A4 Jetta. Unfortunately, I could never get them to fully cooperate with the power windows anti-pinch feature and had to remove them. Great for hot days and ventilation while raining.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
when you wash the car again, spray the window at a slightly upward angle on the center of the windows so it runs towards the new window wind-screens and let us know if any water intrudes into the cab.

1-i never wash my car... really. a great hard rain in western nc is always a great break for my car :) ,i may wash it twice a year maybe

2-i wouldnt spray any water upwards towards my windows because that is not a likely scenario that my jetta would ever encounter...hardly? (so im not worried about that aspect of water getting it; rain doesnt fall up :)

3-i know they dont leak though, its air tight on the interstate with no sounds of air peeping through

4-i will do the spray thing though...just to make sure. :eek:

with the slight window tint i have, adding these really adds more of a 'private cabin' type feel on the interior...feels like a shell. some may not like that but i dont need/prefer the whole windshield when driving, especially if i am just relax/daily driving.... def an A+ all the way around for me... a hundred dollar item killed me but i think they are in it to last

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Very similar (if not identical) to the OEM ones I bought for my A4 Jetta. Unfortunately, I could never get them to fully cooperate with the power windows anti-pinch feature and had to remove them. Great for hot days and ventilation while raining.
i heard about the anti pinch, weathertech may have made the top edges of these visors a little more thin than the OEM maybe? ...they def fit snug in there while not being hard at all to install

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI

I spray up under there all the time, and I never observed so much as a drop of leakage.

I can't speak to the power window issue as I have manual windows. That edge is very thin, however, and I don't feel any resistance when I roll the window up.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
It's great yours are working out for you. I wish mine had. The edges were ground pretty thin. I had hoped that the fuzzy seal material would compress with use and the problems would stop... they never did. Ambient temps and other variables left me never knowing if the window would fully close or not. I had some OEM ones for my first A4 Golf GL and they were great. Another advantage of old school crank windows I guess.

Enjoy... :)

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Im just curious on how well they seal into the channel. my main concern is when driving ont he highway when its raining and the car next to me hits a puddle sitting in the rut and it splashes up my windows...

happened all the time on my older trucks with the in-channel vent visors and i always got water intrusion.

just wanted to know how well the jetta accomodated the new addition.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Love mine on the 2011 Golf. No water leakage when I use a pressure washer on an upward angle. These are the first in-channel ones I've had. Many years of stick on ones from WeatherTech. Easy to install, just follow instructions. Only had problem with the front passenger one with the anti-pinch. Just a little adjustment and no problem after.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
When you first install the wind deflectors, there is a technique you have to use to help the CCM "learn" the new tension due to the deflectors. Weathertech's instructions are very easy to follow and, if done correctly, you should have no problem with the anti-pinch safety feature.

And the biggest difference between the OEM deflectors and those from Weathertech is that VW doesn't offer rears, only fronts. The cost for all 4 from Weathertech is about the same as just the front 2 from VW too!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
If installed correctly and your window closes then there isn't any leak. None with mine and have almost a year now and washed a few times.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Checking the WeatherTech instructions for installation, all they say is roll the window up and leave it for 12 hrs. I guess I can take some comfort in knowing my window channels are nice and tight.

Good point about the rears, Ed. Totally not available from VW. I may retry the whole thing w/the WeatherTech's. I've been a fan of this mod for years and was disappointed it never worked out for my Jetta.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Same here-if its lucky. If I have something on the trailer that needs washing then I wash the car. Rain does a good enough job getting it both cleaned and dirty.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Off-Topic:

You guys only wash your cars a few times a year?

I wash mine once or twice a week!!!
Yep. Don't be surprised if your paint starts fading or peeling after awhile. Too much is sometimes worse than too little.

I hand wash mine only about 3 times a year, and about once a month it may get a power spray wash just to knock off most of the dirt. It has never been waxed or polished (I bought it new). After 11 years and 400,000 miles, my paint is still shiny. At least it is when it's clean. :D

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Yep. Don't be surprised if your paint starts fading or peeling after awhile. Too much is sometimes worse than too little.

I hand wash mine only about 3 times a year, and about once a month it may get a power spray wash just to knock off most of the dirt. It has never been waxed or polished (I bought it new). After 11 years and 400,000 miles, my paint is still shiny. At least it is when it's clean. :D
...i love 400,000 miles :eek:

ive had this tdi (first vw tdi) for about 11wks.. i hope to have it at least 11 more years, for at least 400,000 miles..

the beauty of that high of mileage is that all the fuel saved compared to a gas motor with 400k. you gotta love reliable, durable & fuel efficient vehicles. i feel like im already 'in' and ahead of the game!

Last edited: