Is the dealer yanking me around?

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
I am in the market for a Golf TDI so I did some research on the web, found this wonderful page, which has been a tremendous help in getting aquianted with the TDI, and I eventually went to the local dealer to test drive one. I showed up and had a quick look at the sticker price....$23,500!!!. I was more than a little surprised. The invoice is ~$17,400 and the MSRP is $18,600 or something like that. I was told becuase this is such a rare car in California that it has been marked up. I was also told that there will not be a 2004 Golf TDI and therefore since this blue TDI was one of the last 8 in the whole state of California that it warranted an inflated price. Is the salesman pulling my leg? If anybody could post their experiences buying a Golf TDI in California I would be very appreciative.
Thanks again,
Scott

Leseid

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Toureg TDI
For that kind of $crewing, you could come out here to my dealer. At least they kiss ya first

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I have heard similar stories about Ca dealers and that was before the impending supply cutoff of TDI's in 04'. A few years ago a Ca dealer was trying to sell me a used TDI for 21,000. Not sure how hard it is to buy one out of state and import it, but it is worth a look to save $5000.

-Jack

detroitdieselwannabe

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
The dealer is correct. California has regulated their emmisions to the exclusion of diesel powered passenger cars. In 2004, the TDI will be a 45 state car. Also, you cannot purchase an out of state model (like in Oregon) and just register it the next day at the DMV in California. The car, I believe, has to be used and have over 7K miles to be excluded from the new law. So, if you really want a TDI, you may have to pay that rediculous price

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I am in the market for a Golf TDI so I did some research on the web, found this wonderful page, which has been a tremendous help in getting aquianted with the TDI, and I eventually went to the local dealer to test drive one. I showed up and had a quick look at the sticker price....$23,500!!!. I was more than a little surprised. The invoice is ~$17,400 and the MSRP is $18,600 or something like that. I was told becuase this is such a rare car in California that it has been marked up. I was also told that there will not be a 2004 Golf TDI and therefore since this blue TDI was one of the last 8 in the whole state of California that it warranted an inflated price. Is the salesman pulling my leg? If anybody could post their experiences buying a Golf TDI in California I would be very appreciative.
Thanks again,
Scott
Which dealer? What model Golf? With what options? I placed my order in January, delivery was promised for late March, that has now slipped to July. Build date is mid-June. There are more TDIs coming in to California, don't buy that line from the dealer. Yes, the supply will dry up in 2004, it's not clear how that affects the 2004 models... does it mean 2004 model or a Jan 1 2004 cutoff date for importation?

Obviously, you walked out of the dealership without buying a car, that's to your credit. Keep looking - the dealers have websites through VWoA, you can get some idea of what's available at the various dealerships. if you're not fussy about what you'll get, you should be okay.

Also, look to http://www.craigslist.org I often see late model TDIs there in the for sale section. Just do a search on "TDI" from the main page.

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
I was looking at a 2003 indigo blue Golf GLS TDI with Monsoon from Bob Lewis in Fremont. I am pretty flexible in terms of color and options so I will definitely be looking around for a better deal. I'm not paying $2000 over MSRP for any car!!

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Check some papers online like Austin Statesman from Austin, Texas, there are usually several for sale at any time. The Dallas Herald will have half a dozen at any given time. Texas is a good place b/c of environment for a used car except maybe in the coastal regions. I've seen some rusted out cars down in the Corpus Christi/Padre Island areas.
There is another reason why Texas is good, they are abundant as Texas seems to get more TDI's than many other states. That's not a fact, just a guess.

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
Thanks for all your replies.

Hypothetically speaking let's say I were to purchase a new TDI in Oregon and drive it down to California to register it with the DMV, and the car had less than 7500 miles on it. Do the DMV officials actually look at the odometer or can I just tell them it has 7501 miles on it and they will take my word for it?

Scott

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Current model year (2003) or a 2004? If it's a current year 2003, they will take a look, but a quick look. My car was purchased in Nevada and then registered in CA. A lady came out, took a look at the car, looked at the CARB label under the hood and that was it. She didn't look at the odometer, but I'm not sure if that was because she was lazy, or it didn't matter, or if she forgot. The mileage won't matter with a 2003. With a 2004, you will probably have problems bringing it in since it won't have the CARB label on it. You can always be the first to try, but if they won't let it in, you then have an "interesting" problem on your hands. I think the fact it has no CARB label will be the issue, regardless of mileage.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Have you tried looking for your car via Autotrader.com? I'm asking since I just did a search and found 3 Golf TDIs available at Lithia VW in Concord. All three are listed as being a few hundred under list. Colors available are Indigo Blue, Reflex Silver, and Black.

Here's the contact info:

Lithia Ford Volkswagen of Concord
Contact Name:
Brad Rozner
Contact Phone:
Toll Free
1-888-249-4611

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Have you tried looking for your car via Autotrader.com? I'm asking since I just did a search and found 3 Golf TDIs available at Lithia VW in Concord. All three are listed as being a few hundred under list. Colors available are Indigo Blue, Reflex Silver, and Black.
All are 4-door automatics, I just called there.

Dirito has my car in stock... except it has Monsoon. I'll see if I can make anything happen through the dealer I have my order with, also local. I refuse to get a car without ESP, otherwise I would already be in a TDI.

But, Lithia mirrors the other dealers, no more TDIs coming after the current builds, they see a scarce commodity and are ready to gouge and screw (Our Canadian neighbors are already familiar with GST, eh?)

Still, keep looking around, go to http://www.vw.com and use the dealer locator to find all those within 50 miles. There are many TDIs on the dealers' lots, just that many are Automatics, or have sunroofs, but you may very well find something you like. Yes, they will try to rip for something above MSRP, but point out that you have a choice - if these cars were flying off he lots, that would be one thing. They are not, they are there day after day and the dealer is motivated to make a sale right now.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Dirito has my car in stock... except it has Monsoon. I'll see if I can make anything happen through the dealer I have my order with, also local. I refuse to get a car without ESP, otherwise I would already be in a TDI.
No dice. My dealer has no TDIs to trade for the one at Dirito that matches my order. Dirito is demanding a $1000 premium over MSRP, at least that's how they open negotiations. I'm going to wait on my order...

But, Lithia mirrors the other dealers, no more TDIs coming after the current builds, they see a scarce commodity and are ready to gouge and screw (Our Canadian neighbors are already familiar with GST, eh?)

Still, keep looking around, go to http://www.vw.com and use the dealer locator to find all those within 50 miles. There are many TDIs on the dealers' lots, just that many are Automatics, or have sunroofs, but you may very well find something you like. Yes, they will try to rip for something above MSRP, but point out that you have a choice - if these cars were flying off he lots, that would be one thing. They are not, they are there day after day and the dealer is motivated to make a sale right now.
Well, what do I l know? If I was so smart, I would have placed my order with a dealer that had high volume, like Dirito. But now, with the TDIs in short supply, they really are starting to gouge. I might have been able to get the TDI at Dirito today for slightly over MSRP, but I have an order with another dealer for $800 under MSRP, so I'll stick with that.

It's maddening, no one will take any orders now, as the 2003 line is almost exhausted and any capacity for orders has already been assigned. I guess I'm lucky to have a good price locked in, even though I'm waiting since January for it. I'm glad I'm not negotiating for a new TDI right now.

spaced

It took me a good 2 hours to call around several dealerships and find the perfect Golf TDI for me. One of the dealerships locked in a Golf that was in-transit and I'm going to pick it up on Saturday. I ended up negotiating a decent price of about $500 under MSRP although they refused to budge any more than that and well, I want this car. So I dealt with it. The only thing I wanted that I'm not going to get is heated seats but I live in the south so it's a rarity unless I order it or drive up north to buy the car. Anyway, aside from California, I still think it's a bit of a buyer's market. Dealerships around here aren't marking up TDIs.