Harmonic Balancer?

jettoturbo

TDI
98 Jetta TDI 1.9L
Wow thanks that just saved me a ton of money. Metal Man Parts had the same part for $80 and autozone quoted $418 the shop my car is at quoted $258. It's amazing how doing alittle research can save time and money.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
oilhammer said:
Make sure the crank snout is inspected by removal of the timing belt and sprocket too.
And add in the cost to replace the one-time-only stretch bolt that holds that sprocket onto the crank.
Do NOT re-use the removed bolt. It will NOT hold the sprocket adequately if it is re-used. Within a few hundred miles of your inspection and re-installation of the used bolt, you will be in need of a new sprocket, maybe a new crank, or valves, or pistons, or rods...

Radio Steve

TDI
TDI 90 Golf Mk3 Estate
Hi All,
What is a harmonic balancer and where is it??? (mk3 golf 1z eng 1995)
My car suffers from vibration through the bodyshell at certain revs, any ideas what it could be????????????

Thanks in advance of advice

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
And add in the cost to replace the one-time-only stretch bolt that holds that sprocket onto the crank.
Do NOT re-use the removed bolt. It will NOT hold the sprocket adequately if it is re-used. Within a few hundred miles of your inspection and re-installation of the used bolt, you will be in need of a new sprocket, maybe a new crank, or valves, or pistons, or rods...

An old thread -sorry. I've purchased a new Harmonic Balancer (and serp belt, alt pulley) and I don't know the proper bolts to buy (for Balancer wheel)....??

This will go on the '05 BEW. Anyone know the size of those HB stretch bolts? (I just realized this is in the wrong section - will move).

Last edited: