typical steady state boost & pyrometer reading/value???

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
curious as to what a typical gauge reading should be...yes I know "typical" is a very relative statement...lol

Lets just say "steady state" conditions...say 75mph, cruise control on, flat highway...very boring, constant, cross country interstate driving...no hills, curves, passing, etc.....yes, we have all been there, many times.

I would think that is about as close to "controlled, laboratory conditions" that we can achieve on the road....

what are y'all typically seeing your boost and pyro gauges hovering around?

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
OK...I just finally installed a set yesterday and will be on a long, boring trip. so figured would be a good time to see what it reads and if it's in line with what would be expected...or to at least establish a reasonable "base-line"...

basically looking for a "target value/range" I should expect to see under a specific, long-term, constant condition....

not every car is identical, but they should all fall within the a similar boost/temp range for a given condition constant speed/engine load/road condition. It seems on the interstate, just cruising along, is the best "universal setting"

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Yeah, although I said 7-8 psi in my earler post, that's at an indicated 75 mph. At 80 indicated and close to 75 actual, I'm closer to 9 psi.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
flat ground multiply speed by 10 to get approximate "normal" pyrometer reading

75mph = 750F etc

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
sounds good...Mine was running around from 500-600F at 75-80ish....but I tapped into the 5th injector hole (cause it was already there) so I'm sure I'm reading a couple hundred lower than actual temps...

If I ever happen to have the ex manifold off I'll drill it for a better probe location...

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
sounds good...Mine was running around from 500-600F at 75-80ish....but I tapped into the 5th injector hole (cause it was already there) so I'm sure I'm reading a couple hundred lower than actual temps...

If I ever happen to have the ex manifold off I'll drill it for a better probe location...
If you don't have an EGR cooler a good location and easy access is at the top of the exhaust manifold centered at the turbo connection. Use a little grease on the drill bit and you don't even have to pull anything. That's where I put mine on my old 98 Jetta.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Or leave the engine running to help blow the shavings/chips out. Partially plugging the exhaust may not be a terrible idea.

-Todd