Audi CEO Disliked VW Dealers

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Maybe someone else knows more about this. Today while waiting for an appointment, I read in Automobile magazine how the CEO of Audi remarked how he liked but could not buy a Phaeton because this would require him to buy it from a VW dealer. He was fired less than 10 days later.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
well shut my mouth! at least the poor fellow is honest

volle_pulle

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver, 5 speed
Is that really grounds for termination? Sounds a bit petty to me.

I've been looking on Autobild.de for this story, and so far, nada.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Seeing as he is a member of the VW group, saying a comment like that on a new launch that is not doing too well...yeah, I can see easily why he was terminated.
I'd probably do the same.
-BB

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Exactly, if you read the whole of his comments, what ex-Audi- CEO Axel Mees said of Ferdinand Piëch was basically in effect, "He (Piëch) is a long-past-his-professional-prime-has-been who was a good engineer, but made some colossal product- and business decision-making blunders (Phaeton and the VW drive up-market).

When you are an executive at such a high level, one chooses his words very carefully. Axel might have been giving his honest-goods two cents, and probably in a manner that it not out of his character; but yeah, diss your boss and you'll be vacating your top-floor office real quickly...

volle_pulle

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver, 5 speed
Ok, ok, it was Audi's NA chief...and he was criticizing the CEO. Yeah, that's not a good move. Hasn't Piech been replaced as well? Please correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't VW's new CEO also criticized the Pheaton's development?

Kind of interesting to see that's it's not just an isolated view, about VW's poor choice of entering the luxury market.

BIGBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 JETTA GREEN
Sadly, he is very correct about Piech...kinda like Mr. Agnelli (is that right?) of Fiat. Was worshipped for years, but ran Fiat into the ground.