B5 BHW engine noise revisited

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
vw4life said:
Lugnut, I am willing to bet you have 139,000 miles with 90% highway miles.
No doubt. The prior owner had the car for 39 months in which he put on 136 of the 139k. It's not easy to put on 40k+ annually without a lot of highway use.

bmccrea,
I also had concerns about this potential problem before I bought, but I did it anyway and had been imagining any sound from anywhere as being the harbinger of immediate destruction, until I heard Grove's at the fest and had that identified as the sound for which I should be listening in mine.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, it is strange how vastly different sounding those two cars are (were) with nearly identical mileage.

Just one more reason to pay close attention to how the engine sounds, and listen to it from OUTSIDE the car once in a while.

KCMike

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat GLS wagon
My driving is 90% highway and my BS went at 94K. The rebuilt BS will be nice, but can anyone find a mechanic other than OH willing to take on the install? Hopefully, OH will be the only person other than me that touches my car. You should see the meticulous way he approaches the job.

But, come on. Can you see a dealer installing the rebuilt BS? What are the odds it would be done right? My original dealer would laugh at the prospect. And, by the way, my original dealer stopped selling and servicing VWs as of today.

After OH's work, the car is quieter and the engine runs smoother. Getting ready to put 2,000 on it this weekend on a trip to west Texas.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Lug_Nut said:
No doubt. The prior owner had the car for 39 months in which he put on 136 of the 139k. It's not easy to put on 40k+ annually without a lot of highway use.

bmccrea,
I also had concerns about this potential problem before I bought, but I did it anyway and had been imagining any sound from anywhere as being the harbinger of immediate destruction, until I heard Grove's at the fest and had that identified as the sound for which I should be listening in mine.
Yes the differences are interesting. Tomo had it for around 2 years and put 40k on it. I've had it for just over 2 years and put 100k - yes 95+% of my driving is highway.

I suspect it can also be driving styles. On the highway I consistently run 75, and when I first got the car 80-85. From the highway to home (10 miles) it is very hilly and twisty so I tend to be on and off the accelerator a lot.

My goal at this point is to get the upgraded part done at the next TB - which should be around next November - and hopefully be able to just worry about the chain from then on every 200K.

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
KCMike said:
After OH's work, the car is quieter and the engine runs smoother. Getting ready to put 2,000 on it this weekend on a trip to west Texas.
Hey Mike

Will you be passing anywhere near Austin? I'd love to be able to listen to your car side-by-side with mine. (could be some BBQ and beverages of your choice in it ;o) )

KCMike

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat GLS wagon
I wish it was near Austin. Midland. Nice people, but not the prettiest place on earth. A fast trip down for my brother-in-law's wedding.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Hey if any of you post "oilhammer" B5.5 oil pump chain folks go up to Green Bay on I-43 in Sheboygan ever, look me up as I want to hear your machine.

oilhammer

TDI
Got another one in today....131k miles, sounds like it is full of marbles. Oh, and someone did a really bad M&P timing belt job on it :rolleyes:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Oilhammer can you do a 'before' and 'after' sound clip on this car?

oilhammer

TDI
Guys, people have already tried the sound clip thing, and to be quite honest it all sounds like a bunch of noise on any recordings. You really need to stand next to the car while it is running to understand. It simply does not reproduce well. :eek:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
oilhammer, I would love to have you work on my car when its time is up (so far so good). But I am here in California. I would hate to make that drive and put all those miles on it. Maybe we should look ahead for people who want YOU to work on their car who are too far away and find a cheap/safe car shipping service. Got any ideas?

oilhammer

TDI
If there were a few of them (B5 TDIs) that could gather in one area and I could be provided a lift and a nice clean well lit place to work, I could fly there and do a few of them at once.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
That would only work if we all broke at same time. Shipping a car individually would probably be the most likely way, but could be more expensive then flying you out.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
oilhammer said:
If there were a few of them (B5 TDIs) that could gather in one area and I could be provided a lift and a nice clean well lit place to work, I could fly there and do a few of them at once.
Now this is what I call just plain above and beyond right here. OH, if and when our B5 needs a balance shaft assembly I will fly you down just to do the work. How do you feel about small planes?

greenbrier62

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GL 89,000 miles, purchased in June
"Oh, and someone did a really bad M&P timing belt job on it"

Maybe I should post this in another thread, but what the hay...
Could someone give me some "do's and don'ts" for doing a TB change myself. When I called the dealership, they wanted $1000 to do it and when I asked him to look at the BS and hex shaft he really didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not due for another 15K miles, but I want to start getting prepared by reading up and stuff, and I haven't seen any real post on "what to watch out for when doing a TB" thread...(maybe someone could point me inthe right direction)...Thanks in advance.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
greenbrier62 said:
"Oh, and someone did a really bad M&P timing belt job on it"

Maybe I should post this in another thread, but what the hay...
Could someone give me some "do's and don'ts" for doing a TB change myself. When I called the dealership, they wanted $1000 to do it and when I asked him to look at the BS and hex shaft he really didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not due for another 15K miles, but I want to start getting prepared by reading up and stuff, and I haven't seen any real post on "what to watch out for when doing a TB" thread...(maybe someone could point me inthe right direction)...Thanks in advance.
When it's time for your TB change, point your car West and head for Boise. TDIClub member "Drivbiwire" is one of the best timing belt gurus here. Not only will it cost less than the dealer, he will do it right. Yes, he is a ways away from you, but it is worth the drive.

oilhammer

TDI
RI_TDI said:
LOL...."Mark & Pray", the idiot's method of timing belt install. Go see your local dealer for a shakedown on how NOT to perform a timing belt install. :rolleyes:

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
I'm no mechanic, but i can't figure out how that method would be remotely reliable... if it were me i'd be scared to turn it over after!

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
engineerorange said:
Now this is what I call just plain above and beyond right here. OH, if and when our B5 needs a balance shaft assembly I will fly you down just to do the work. How do you feel about small planes?
wade,

there'd be two of us in nc to make that deal work. i'm sure there are others around here somewhere to make it worth oilhammer's while.

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
So the risk is getting one of the shafts mis-indexed by a tooth or more, right? In broad strokes, what is the proper method?

Also - if if its off by one tooth will it run, barely run, or self-destruct?

oilhammer

TDI
RI_TDI said:
So the risk is getting one of the shafts mis-indexed by a tooth or more, right? In broad strokes, what is the proper method?

Also - if if its off by one tooth will it run, barely run, or self-destruct?
The issue is shaft and pump placement during and after belt tensioning that makes the M&P method so horribly wrong. And VW engineers KNEW this, that is WHY they made the procedure the way they did....so you simply CANNOT do it wrong if you follow the procedure correctly.

It is clear as day if you watched someone who knows what they are doing install a timing belt. And I guess the M&P idiots cannot grasp why, so they continue to fail.

I have had now FOUR M&P jobs brought in the shop this week, only 3 made it here under their own power. :eek:

Heli wrench

TDI
05 Passat TDI
Oilhammer,
This eM&P stuff is disturbing!! In the aviation world the FAA would take issue with mechanics not following the manuals, and not using the proper tools.....if these were independant shops there might be a weak excuse in there somewhere, but I have a feeling from reading your previous posts that this butchery came from your local dealership.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
my ace boon caucasian to whom i sold my dimpled 2005 B5.5 reports:
- at 85k, oil light came on, he drove it for few minutes to an exit
and started it briefly after. mechanic reports 'oil pump chain broke' -
found pieces of it in the oilpan - as well as other metal pieces.
they will be discussing 'options' on monday. this thread seems useful/relevant, thanks to all oilhammer & the other contributors ! !

oilhammer

TDI
abctdi said:
This is getting ridiculous...how do we get VW to pay for these repairs?
ROTFLMAO!!!!

All you can do is a report to NHTSA or whatever it is, but don't hold your breath. Since they are all pretty much making out of warranty, and the vast majority well beyond, I am not sure I would expect the manufacturer to do anything.