coolant loss

elan

TDI
1998 Passat TDI
Read up a lot on here about coolant loss, still cant find the answer so,
I have a Passat 130 BHP PD 2001 (UK), had the rad and water pump changed, still useing coolant, if I drive harder the more it seems to use, no black deposits in expansion tank, no emulsion in oil, drives ok, no great clouds white smoke, no misting of screen when heater on, having a pressure check next week, any ideas please?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Have a sample of the motor oil analyzed for the presence of coolant. Look for traces of dried coolant that may be being "cooked' on a hot exhaust manifold or downpipe from a small hose leak.

Good luck,

Tony

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Possibly leaking into the EGR cooler and burning off through the exhaust.

elan

TDI
1998 Passat TDI
Thanks for the quick replys, no water on the ground.

Read about the EGR cooler, where is it exactly? had a look through Haynes book and it dont even mention it?

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
On the B5.5 it is along the passenger side of the engine. If leaking internally it may not be visible.

My EGR is disabled via the chip. I plan to completely remove it soon and bypass the coolant hoses. Anyone have a picture of the backside of the engine showing where the hoses go?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Not all of the AVF and AWX engines have EGR coolers.

Look at the intake. Below the round disk part of the EGR valve is a metal tube. That tube either connects to the EGR cooler (a long silver tube shape with coolant hoses attached) or it attaches directly to the exhaust manifold.

Did the seal for the replacement water pump actually seal? I've seen seals damaged during the installation resulting in coolant leaks.

Its going to be a matter of looking at every single hose connection for evidence of coolant deposits, the radiator, and other coolant seal locations.

elan

TDI
1998 Passat TDI
probably thats why I cant find it, below the EGR valve there's a metal pipe that attaches to the exhaust manifold.

thanks for the help

muffin

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 1.9 TDI SE Avant 130bhp
Elan,

You will not have it, in the uk we dont, just the vacum pipe at the top, and the silver pipe to the exhaust manifold.

You say you have had the water pump replaced and the rad, when they did the water pump did you also do the thermostat, it has been know for these to leak, as its a rubber seal and can be pinched...and around here depending on loss might be enough to evapourate...

How much are you using ???