2015 Passat biTDI?

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Nice specs, but starting to look like an Avalon.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Great another high priced model that will NEVER sell in the US because of the exchange rate.

Really VW, keep moving the Passat up towards the Phaeton and leave a void between the Jetta and it so large that Toyota and Honda can drive right through. :)

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Yo, TomB....did you read any of the text?

It said: "America....will get the 2.0L TDI that will have around 190-hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. Compared to the current generation’s 2.0L TDI, that is a 36-percent increase in horsepower and a 19-percent increase in torque. We should expect to see the new 2.0L TDI in the next-generation Golf, Jetta, and Passat."

Assuming the quote is accurate, I don't see any room for your concern/annoyance.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LOL you guys ... griping about how VW "keeps moving" the Passat up the market. Let me remind you that the current Passat is significantly more affordable than the previous generation.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
LOL you guys ... griping about how VW "keeps moving" the Passat up the market. Let me remind you that the current Passat is significantly more affordable than the previous generation.
Guy this is the US version and even though I own one it is NOT the German made version of the Passat or CC. This has been decontented and really does not hold up to what is available in German in this model name.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I really don't know what is available outside of the US... merely saying that the current US Passat is a lot more affordable and more entry-level than the previous US Passat.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Looking at that picture of the new engine, I can see that the DPF is BUILT INTO THE BACK OF THE MOTOR!!:eek::eek::eek:
Hmmm, I have a pretty good idea why they did this (an even bigger reason than this "heat distribution" excuse), and this could make things a pain if "worst comes to worst" with the DPF...

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Looking at that picture of the new engine, I can see that the DPF is BUILT INTO THE BACK OF THE MOTOR!!:eek::eek::eek:
Hmmm, I have a pretty good idea why they did this (an even bigger reason than this "heat distribution" excuse), and this could make things a pain if "worst comes to worst" with the DPF...
Which is? Why do you think they built in the DPF? How reliable is a DPF? It doesn't fail too much right? If your Volvo goes get a 2006 to tide you over until the MQB or whatever the acronym is sorts out. It sure would be nice if VW gets 50 state clean TDI right after all this.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yo, TomB....did you read any of the text?

It said: "America....will get the 2.0L TDI that will have around 190-hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. Compared to the current generation’s 2.0L TDI, that is a 36-percent increase in horsepower and a 19-percent increase in torque. We should expect to see the new 2.0L TDI in the next-generation Golf, Jetta, and Passat."

Assuming the quote is accurate, I don't see any room for your concern/annoyance.
I had the same thoughts that TomB did after reading the first article. It sounded like, "Oh, here's another engine that we won't get". I was somewhat releived after reading the second article that specifically mentioned the US market. I wonder how this engine differs from the bi-turbo offered in the Amarok? Perhaps this is why VWOA is waiting to offer a NA built Amarok in the US.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Who knows what's in store for the US. That article is for Europe, I believe.

Also, Autobild has no basis in reality. ;)

Last edited:

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Been scouring the net trying to find something more current than March announcement. No success. Perhaps someone more computer-savvy than I can find more.

Saw that sentence about the "lifetime belt"....that would be nice, wouldn't it?

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
Which is? Why do you think they built in the DPF? How reliable is a DPF? It doesn't fail too much right? If your Volvo goes get a 2006 to tide you over until the MQB or whatever the acronym is sorts out. It sure would be nice if VW gets 50 state clean TDI right after all this.
Well, you see, while DPFs have progressively gotten better, they are not perfect, not by a long shot, and sometimes they require certain unmentionable "attention" that would be much more difficult if it's encased in the very back of the motor.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
I have labeled what seems to be the DPF with a RED arrow and what appears to me as the DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) with a YELLOW arrow.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. O no, what's a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst?
It converts CO into CO2 and also converts unburned hydrocarbons into H20 and C02 and heat, so it deals with the fuel from those post injection events for regens, that's why its before the DPF. It's harmless and infact a good thing to have!

Pretty much all diesel vehicles with DPFs have this, including the current Passat.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Every TDI that has ever been sold in North America, all the way back to 1996, has had a DOC (diesel oxidation catalyst). It's the proper name for the "catalytic converter".

Only the 2009 onward models have the DPF, de-NOx catalyst, etc., and those are in addition to the DOC, which remains in the system.