How to block your front grill with pipe insulation

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I keep 2/3 of my rad covered by coroplast when the temps are above 20C/70F and fully covered below 15C ...I cut 3 strips that are inserted one at a time through the lower center grille and fit directly against the radiator fins

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
nice timing on the revival... I started reading previous comments and thanks to the date it took me a minute... deja vu! guess I will slap the thing on this winter even though we will probably be selling it back next summer...

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Was working fine, until we got geese!:eek: Darn things, geese, have to peck and nibble at everything (I have a picture of our 1 1/2 dozen or so geese surrounding and pecking away at the daughter's wagon:D) After picking up the pieces of insulation, with divots, off the ground I gave up.:eek: Anyway, if you don't have geese, or other nibbling critters, I endorse this mod.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol just installed mine yesterday........I'd shoot the geese

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I took a bandit road sign and cut it to fit and slipped it between the AC and the RAD and held it in with a zip tie. ran fine all winder in -20 and 60*F no issues, they are free on the side of the road. dont feel bad for taking them, they are all illegal btw, you need a sign permit to put them up and no one ever does. i know, i have min taken down all the time and a phone call sent to the number that is on them all the time saying that i have to pay fines and stuff, lol

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I am the new owner of an '11 JSW MT. I am considering doing some level of grill block, but am concerned with my temp gauge.

I read somewhere that this gauge is more or less an idiot light. That being the case, I am worried that I could overheat it before the idiot gauge told me what was going on.

Would like to hear from those with experience with this.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
In general - you can block the front completely and in "normal driving" you'll be fine - actual coolant temps won't move at all.

Now if you're pulling a trailer, up a hill, in death valley with the A/C on, you'll probably run into some troubles, but as long as you're just driving around - nothing to worry about.

If you have a scangauge or any kind of OBDII monitor that you can watch on your phone, you can verify for yourself and/or keep an eye on it.