How would you rate the speed of TDIClub?

Is TDIClub slow (ie loading pages takes longer than 15 secs on HighSpeed connection.)

• Never

Votes: 49 33.1%
  • Occasionally at random times from various locations

Votes: 57 38.5%
  • Occasionally at random times from one location only

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Occasionally, but always at the same time from various locations

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Occasionally, but always at the same time from only one location

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Often

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Always

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I haven't had much of a speed issue, but since the last update/maintenance yesterday, I don't have a "Today's Posts" link anymore.....bummer......:(

"Today's Posts" when NOT logged in, "New Posts" when logged in was how it was, did it change to alleviate guest traffic? There was an advantage to having both......:eek:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have never seen "Today's Posts" but I never browse when not logged in. I have, and always have had "New Posts."

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Yes, I turned searching off for those not logged in as a temporary attempt to deal with server load. It didn't really help, but I've tweaked a few more things this evening so the search is back on and I'm hoping the response will be a back to normal.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Fred, where does the forum stand with regard to server/service/bandwidth etc. upgrades? Are we close to needing a major upgrade, or a minor upgrade or what?

Is it feasible to post a wanted list of computer parts? If so, is it hard to get said parts to you from the lower 48 states?

Perhaps you could publish a fundraising goal for us to aim at?

IDK what the situation is, but I'd bet there is a bunch of help out here if you'd ask!!

Above all, thank you for the wonderful resource we call TDIclub!!

Bill

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Are the load issues a bandwidth problem or a server problem?

If major infrastructure upgrades are needed, I propose a fundraiser raffle this spring.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Just saw this thread. I have occasionally noticed it taking very long for pages to load in the past few weeks. I have also noticed a bunch more "newbies" so the slow down is, most likely, traffic related. Maybe it is time for a server upgrade. ++ to the raffle idea.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I have had very slow experiences all afternoon today 2.8.13...

Other than that it is usually pretty good, with a few random slow loads, but today has been bad, at one point it said the search took 40.xxxx seconds!!!:eek: I figured the New England storm was effecting something... Hopefully it gets better.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Yes, I turned searching off for those not logged in as a temporary attempt to deal with server load. It didn't really help, but I've tweaked a few more things this evening so the search is back on and I'm hoping the response will be a back to normal.
Thank you! I'm happy it's back. :) (Logged in I'm set to 100 posts a page, but this is a pain when viewing on a phone ;))

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. The number of on-line users (especially those not logged in ) has been a lot larger than normal and it seems this is what has been taxing the server lately, requiring extra babysitting on my part. Bandwidth is not really an issue these days, my ISP just charges more :(, but does not throttle.

Currently the main server is just over a year old and next week I'll be adding some more memory which should help a bit and I have another small hardware update planned a few weeks after that. These updates were planned, but I'll just be moving them up a little early due to these slow downs. I'll try to keep the downtime for these items minimized, but there will be a short amount of downtime with these updates as as I'll be implementing some infrastructure updates at the same time.

As for the idea of adding hardware from various sources, thanks for the offer, but several years ago I moved to tier 1 (i.e. brand name) servers with maintenance agreements just to minimize the effects of any hardware failures, so I need to stick with the same vendor for the updates. In the mean time I may need to disable a few features for users that are not logged in.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
VW Derf said:
In the mean time I may need to disable a few features for users that are not logged in.
Go for it.

GeekDrew recommended removing the forum search and replacing it with a Google search tool that uses site:tdiclub.com - perhaps do that for users who aren't logged in?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I've since removed the limitations put on those not logged in. Performance seems back to normal. If you notice otherwise please let me know.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The only times that I've noticed slower response, I usually associated with where I was rather than the site. Typically at hotels or airports where I have no way of knowing how many others are trying to share limited bandwidth. can't say I've ever noticed a real problem from home (DSL) or work (T3).

99.5GOlf

TDI
1999.5 Golf
My only complaint would be last nite. 2/14. I have 25MB download so that's not the issue.
Roughly 8 o'clock pm EST nothing was happening. Multiple refreshes to no avail. Only lasted roughly 20 mins, but other than that, I have no complaints.
Btw it was forums.tdiclub
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Further hardware updates were done on March 14th, 2013 and given the lack of comments in this section I am starting to believe that for now the performance issues are a thing of the past. If this is not the case, please let me know.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Things have been much better lately, although I did manage to slow things down with an IP check the other day (the results of which were worth it)... I guess that's just the nature of the beast. :eek:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Overload?

Last night was sort of slow in loading pages, and this morning the website would hardly load... Now I notice that this morning had the most users ever... 6095 at 4:54... At the time I was trying to use the site, it "only" had 5916 users, 5487 "guests"... I thought you were experiencing a denial-of-service attack...

Just reporting... it seems to be working - although a bit slowly - now...

Yuri

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Last night was sort of slow in loading pages, and this morning the website would hardly load... Now I notice that this morning had the most users ever... 6095 at 4:54... At the time I was trying to use the site, it "only" had 5916 users, 5487 "guests"... I thought you were experiencing a denial-of-service attack...

Just reporting... it seems to be working - although a bit slowly - now...

Yuri
I noticed the same thing overnight, it was VERY slow. It's back to normal, now, though.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Yes, for the past week we have been experiencing abnormal traffic, with the worst of it Thursday night. For now most of it seems to have been dealt with and things are back to normal. Let us know if you notice similar behavour.

ed mocz

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
I've been on here only occasionally, but lately, quite a lot. Car has been having problems. It's been slow for me for a long time, maybe a couple of years. Works fine on my phone. Though is hard to type a lot on it.

Thanks, Ed

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Occasionally slow (maybe more than occasionally), Boston area, home and work, Comcast in both places.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it my computer, or is the site slower?

The past several days, there have been noticeable slowdowns (or, rather, appreciable halts) in the loading of all pages here... (other websites appear unaffected, which makes me think it's this site, although possibly my anti-virus may be disenchanted with the TDI-Club...

Just now, I've gotten the following readouts at the bottom of a couple of pages here:

Page generated in 0.14065 seconds with 12 queries
[Output: 86.56 Kb. compressed to 83.17 Kb. by saving 3.39 Kb. (3.92%)]

Page generated in 0.23518 seconds with 8 queries
[FONT=&quot][Output: 154.25 Kb. compressed to 149.12 Kb. by saving 5.13 Kb. (3.33%)][/FONT]

Page generated in 0.23269 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 82.16 Kb. compressed to 76.83 Kb. by saving 5.33 Kb. (6.48%)]

I don't know what these figures mean... [edit] and this page took 8 seconds before it would display...

Yuri

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've noticed intermittent slow-downs lately, as well.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Turned out it was my router that was dying... now, why it only manifested itself with slowdowns on the TDI-club website, I don't know...

Speaking of which... why is it that routers seem to be having very short lifespans? Usually it's the WiFi transceiver that goes first, except on this unit... (I replaced my dead D-Link with an old Belkin that had a flakey WiFi... I guess I'll pick up a new router in the near future - I'll need a unit for my in-laws place as well...)

Yuri

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Turned out it was my router that was dying... now, why it only manifested itself with slowdowns on the TDI-club website, I don't know...

Speaking of which... why is it that routers seem to be having very short lifespans? Usually it's the WiFi transceiver that goes first, except on this unit... (I replaced my dead D-Link with an old Belkin that had a flakey WiFi... I guess I'll pick up a new router in the near future - I'll need a unit for my in-laws place as well...)

Yuri
They're made to be disposable these days. Most store bought routers/gateways/APs are total trash. They lack the CPU and memory capacity for today's Internet.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Made in China. Disposable mentality. They're cheap, so it's "okay" to buy them three times as often. :(

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OT - a different route(r)...

They lack the CPU and memory capacity for today's Internet.
Then why do they work acceptably (?) for a while? Anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, and then, usually in my experience, the WiFi module becomes unreliable...

So what should I buy as a replacement? It's no fun driving a couple of hours each way to my in-laws to set up yet another unit...

Yuri

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
VW Derf,

Thanks for putting the time into babysitting the server, as a fellow vBulletin admin, I know the late nights and trying to keep things running.

Have you looked into running memcache or APC/XCache. PHP caching helps a lot. Adding more memory helps, but you have to tell php how to address it.

In the config.php, I've used ini set variables to help push more stuff into memory for php and that has kept my forums speedy. You might have to modify yours based on your mem configs etc.

<?php
ini_set('memory_limit', 32 *1024 *1024);
ini_set("max_execution_time", "2880);

I also noticed the version of vBull that's running here is quite old, 3.8.5 is known for some performance issues along with massive security exploits. There are various PLs out for 3.8.7 now, I never wanted to make the move to 4.0, my users would rebel.

Reco is also to check php versions that are running, newer ones have better memory addressing/performance enhancements.

Just some thoughts. Let me know if you need a hand or just want a second pair of eyes to look over configs etc.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. The number of on-line users (especially those not logged in ) has been a lot larger than normal and it seems this is what has been taxing the server lately, requiring extra babysitting on my part. Bandwidth is not really an issue these days, my ISP just charges more :(, but does not throttle.

Currently the main server is just over a year old and next week I'll be adding some more memory which should help a bit and I have another small hardware update planned a few weeks after that. These updates were planned, but I'll just be moving them up a little early due to these slow downs. I'll try to keep the downtime for these items minimized, but there will be a short amount of downtime with these updates as as I'll be implementing some infrastructure updates at the same time.

As for the idea of adding hardware from various sources, thanks for the offer, but several years ago I moved to tier 1 (i.e. brand name) servers with maintenance agreements just to minimize the effects of any hardware failures, so I need to stick with the same vendor for the updates. In the mean time I may need to disable a few features for users that are not logged in.