Interior door lock button pin. Screw size? Thread pitch?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
No idea, but do you need to know the size if you're going to install new OE pins?

Steve

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
The reason for wanting to know the size and thread pitch, is because the OE plastic door pins broke from normal use wear and tear over time, so to make sure this pin breakage never happen again I bought a pair of nicer aluminum aftermarket door pins from a large established seller of these on ebay, and the pins were said to be universal threading and compatible with 98 vw tdi, yet these aluminum pins expect a larger diameter threaded rod than the OE threaded rod.. :( surely I’m not the first to experience this issue in replacing the OE door pins with machined aluminum pins. The thread pitch and bolt diameter must exist online here or in our collective members’ minds...?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Find some used plastic OE ones, they never break. I've had two Mk3's so far and have had no problems with them at all. I've even taken the doors apart before to do various repairs and still no breakage.

And something else, I don't understand really why people even touch them? All Mk3 Jetta cars came with electric locks actuated by the switch at the dash. There's really no reason why people would even need to use the door mounted pins, that is unless they can't wait for the driver (or front passenger) to unlock the whole car with the switch.

I guess I've never thought about replacing them because I never had problems with the plastic pins.

Somewhere I do have a set of cnc aluminum 'wolfy' pins, never even tried them in the car.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Rotbox came with a set and they went in the trash. They were too fat and kept the power locks from working properly. Went with JY plastic and no issues.

-Todd

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
I caught clothing or something on the plastic ones while loading unloading stuff into the car, both passenger and driver side broke months apart, F this I’m getting aluminum ones I said.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
I caught clothing or something on the plastic ones while loading unloading stuff into the car, both passenger and driver side broke months apart, F this I’m getting aluminum ones I said.
Really, so your carelessness is what broke the 15 year old parts and are looking to get some eBay carp.....Sorry but i'm starting to think that all you really want is a Honda Civic.

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
Really, so your carelessness is what broke the 15 year old parts and are looking to get some eBay carp.....Sorry but i'm starting to think that all you really want is a Honda Civic.
Lol. I’m not sure I’d call it careless to wear a windbreaker which has elastic drawstring around the waist exactly the same height as the door pins. And it gets caught on it as you lean into the back seat with hands full, it snaps.

I notice the newer cars mk4 etc have much thicker interior door pins, they’re plastic still, yet much harder to break than the mk3 thin ones. I think VW learned from customer feedback that these very thin door pins break too often and decided to go with something sturdier. And so am I! Although I can’t go thicker. I have to go to aluminum, of the same diameter to remain compatible with the hole it goes into.