View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2018, 18:54   #12
njt1rider
Veteran Member

TDI(s): T1N
Fuel Economy: 22ish

OK HERE WE GOOOOO.

The 2003 had a blown engine so engine and auto transmission were removed.

The TDI is a 1Z and came out of an early Passat so it has the GP relay in the fuse block and a BK ECU.

The Syncro has a CTV trans with no electronic bits. From what I'm told its an older style of syncro with out an electronic locker.

I did not do any of the disassembly on the van, syncro, or TDI so I am currently trying to figure out how to put all the pieces together. I was able to pin out the wiring harness today and it all seems to be in working order. It needs to be dressed up a little but what do you expect from a 22 year old wiring harness. I have a few questions about the harness:

Can the Eurovan pedal pot be used in place of the A3? Both have 6 wires but different plugs. I haven't dug into the Eurovan schematics yet so I will probably be answering my own question but figured maybe someone could answer before I get that far. Eurovan plug on top and TDI on bottom:

Can anyone help identify the extra plugs left on the harness? I believe I have everything necessary to make the swap run, just curious what the extra bits are:
Plug next to MAF:

4 cut wires next to MAF and N18:

2 wire plug next to ECU:

What is this plug between G1 to G2:

If I remember correctly from my last swap, I need to wire the starter wire directly to the F1 plug. I think this connection is for the IMMO:

Some thoughts/plans for the swap:
-We have the BK ECU so we need to upgrade to an FA or GQ so we can tune this beast to make it driveable. Anyone have one for cheap? I read that an FA turns into a GQ when it is chipped. Is that correct?
-We will be using the Kerma K03/04 turbo with bigger nozzles for the injectors
-I will be resealing the whole engine here shortly and from there I will do the timing belt, engine mount tap, and dipstick relocation. From there we will install the upgraded balanced injectors, Turbo, and clutch then mate the engine and transmission together.
-We will use a G60 clutch
-We will use a front mount intercooler.

Parts we need to source:
-The wiring harness from the instrument cluster to the fuse block (U1 and U2)
-The electronic top part of the VSS going into the transmission
-Clutch hard line
njt1rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06559 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 17.43 Kb. compressed to 15.92 Kb. by saving 1.51 Kb. (8.66%)]