Upper Strut Mounts, Control Arm Bushings

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Hey all. So I'm looking at replacing these items in my car. How difficult is it to do? Can anyone recommend a place or good brand to buy them? Also should and if I just replaced the control arms themselves is that a good option and would there be bushings already in them??

Thanks in advance. I know I still have research to do but thought I'd start here!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The new control arm's should come with the bushings installed and the ball joints.
Saves the trouble of replacing the bushings, don't know how many miles on your joints.
I think they use TTY bolts that also have to be replaced.
Before tightening the arm bushing have the bolts in most of the way and lower the car to have the bushings centered, not all the way down with the wheels hanging.
I've started buying from idparts.com.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
For specialty parts go with the some of the vendors on here. For regular maintenance parts, check out Rock Auto. If you can wait a few days, you can save a lot of money. They buy close outs over runs and parts companies going out of business.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I've installed two sets of new LCAs. Darn right side pretty still requires that you loosen up (or remove the bolts) for the ball joint (that go in to the LCA). I've also had issues with getting the rear bolts to line up: have resorted to using a cable-puller/come-a-long to pull it into alignment. Here's a picture I took when doing the daughter's wagon:

When I did my car (first one I did) I picked up a set of used LCAs for $40 and put new bushings in. Seems those LCAs went in a lot easier.

MyTurboDiesel.com has some good tutorials on doing suspension work. Likely some good ones around here too.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I've done a couple sets of the LCA's, I've never had to resort to such extreme measures as a comealong to get them in. Has this car been in an accident?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've done a couple sets of the LCA's, I've never had to resort to such extreme measures as a comealong to get them in. Has this car been in an accident?
Did you reuse your existing LCAs (or use OEM ones)?

I installed NEW ones from IDParts. Installed in both the wagon and the wife's Golf. Both cars required extra cajoling. It's possible that I lost the "touch" following the job on my car, but I doubt it: I'd even tried beating in the old bolts to help with alignment (cut off the threaded part, I think). It looks worse than what it really is/was.

Neither car has been in an accident that I am aware of (yeah the pinch welds there on the wagon look like the thing has been in a wreck, but that's just from idiots not jacking where they're supposed to).

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Thanks for the replies. Is there a need for a spring compressor for the Strut mount job. Or either job for that matter?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, if one does it like in that link I provided one doesn't have to worry about compressing a spring at all. In the future if I need to replace a mount I'm going to do it this way: it'll be a while before any of my cars needs one replaced as the suspension on all is pretty new.

0leh

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 1.9 TDI (BEW)
I've bought stuff from germanparts.ca
-->Control Arm *part#6244 * qty 2.00 *$143.20 (OEM #: 1J0407151C)
-->Strut Mount w. Bearing **part#KJ0264 * qty 2.00 * $51.50 (OEM #: 1J0412331C)

I was replacing both front struts

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have used this method a few times and it is really quite quick and easy.
Great to hear this as I trust hearing it from someone on this site (rather than Vortex)!

Did you get the Passat nut or did you just grind one (a spare) down?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't know why the different nut makes a difference, The pictures weren't there. :(
I know my top mounts are toast but I also bought the bearings which still do need the compressor to change.
If I'm pulling the strut everything on the top gets changed.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Last edited:

slevang

TDI
2002 NB TDI
I used the IDparts loaded control arms and had no issues getting them in place. They are only about $90 each, so it isn't much extra money if you are buying bushings and ball joints anyways. For me it was definitely worth the time saved not messing around with bushing r/r.

If you have an auto parts store nearby where you can rent the compressors, I would recommend having them on hand. The passenger side can be tricky with clearances because the longer axle will hit the subframe. You may manage without, but it is a bummer to get stuck in the middle of a job without the tools you need.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I've installed two sets of new LCAs. Darn right side pretty still requires that you loosen up (or remove the bolts) for the ball joint (that go in to the LCA). I've also had issues with getting the rear bolts to line up: have resorted to using a cable-puller/come-a-long to pull it into alignment. Here's a picture I took when doing the daughter's wagon:

When I did my car (first one I did) I picked up a set of used LCAs for $40 and put new bushings in. Seems those LCAs went in a lot easier.

MyTurboDiesel.com has some good tutorials on doing suspension work. Likely some good ones around here too.
This is for putting control arms in? Somethin' ain't right.

When I did my control arms I just put them in with my hand, and did up the bolts. It was very easy.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is for putting control arms in? Somethin' ain't right.

When I did my control arms I just put them in with my hand, and did up the bolts. It was very easy.
Like I said (above), they weren't lining up well enough to get the rear bolts pushing into the bushing sleeves. No idea why, just that's what it was. No issues when I had wheel alignments done, and the cars work great.

LCAs are "designed" up in Canada (and sold through a company there?). I suspect the pieces are from China. If you're prepared to do what I have done it's not a big deal, though, for sure, I would prefer to not have to do it (but, I'm now done with suspension work for many years now- all cars are pretty fresh). All in all still faster than popping out and refitting new bushings.