Aftermarket Fog Lights

uberCY

TDI
None
Hey all- potential manual TDI SE owner here. Obviously since I want a manual the options are limited on the car. One exterior annoyance is the lack of fog lights. The fact that the space for them is left empty is tacky.

Does anyone have an info on installing/purchasing aftermarket fogs? I couldn't find anything after a google search. IMO this would help the exterior look a lot.

Last edited:

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I'd be interested in doing this using OEM parts, if possible. Hoping it would only be a switch change and light install, but I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring harness was missing too. Hope not...

uberCY

TDI
None
I'd be interested in doing this using OEM parts, if possible. Hoping it would only be a switch change and light install, but I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring harness was missing too. Hope not...
Your right, the switch and wiring are another issue but I'm guessing finding the parts is the bigger issue.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
the wiring harness will be missing.

YOu'll have to check the BCM for the option of front fogs, if the BCM doesn't have it, then you'll have to do the ol fashioned relay method

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
The last time I was at my dealership, I noted a billboard with available accessories for the new Passat. One of those accessories was the addition of fog lights. I inquired and they told me that they are currently on back order but will be available for a dealership install. That said, I am sure they will have a factory way of integrating them.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The last time I was at my dealership, I noted a billboard with available accessories for the new Passat. One of those accessories was the addition of fog lights. I inquired and they told me that they are currently on back order but will be available for a dealership install. That said, I am sure they will have a factory way of integrating them.
Yeah...sure...$$$:eek::D

uberCY

TDI
None
This would be ideal. Wonder if it ever comes true

jimnmari

TDI
'12 Passat SE DSG

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
As well the SE bumper did not seem to have knockouts to install the factory fog lights.

Remember these fog lights have the static turn lighting feature that focuses light into the direction of a turn. Not sure how that is integrated/controlled by the ECM, but probably not something that can be done with a simple relay approach.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Aw, c'mon, Tom...let 'em play. You just don't want everyone to have the same beautiful front end that you PAID for!!:D

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Anyone done this yet on an SE and now that it's May, are the wiring harnesses available yet from VW?

Niner

Nice, let us know when you figure out how to wire it and then long code it through 9 Electronics, Long Code, on VCDS. Because if one is without VCDS and wants to add foglights, maybe being outside the BCM is not such a bad option, less programming to do with long code on a laptop computer, more plug and play.

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
I just bought the OEM Fog Light kit for my SE from a merchant in another forum. Here was my quote:

Fog light parts (excluding harness and Euro switch) sell for $258.12 plus shipping.
LH Foglamp $71.28
RH Foglamp $71.28
LH Fog Bracket $17.70
RH Fog Bracket $17.70
LH Fog Grille $39.60
RH Fog Grille $39.60
Mounting Screws (Qty 4) $0.24 EACH

The install was fairly easy. At the time the oem harness was unavailable, it was also pricey. I didn't want to wait for the harness to be available and didn't want to pay the price VW was asking for the harness. Instead, I made my own harness and wired it up like a normal set of auxiliary lamps. The relay and primary wires only cost me a few dollars. Having them programmed to work as cornering lights wasn't that important to me. Also, I just used a rocker switch hidden under the dash. Most of you would probably think this is a ghetto setup but my fog lights work and I'm happy it didn't cost me a fortune :)!

Last edited:

Niner

I just bought the OEM Fog Light kit for my SE from a merchant in another forum. Here was my quote:

Fog light parts (excluding harness and Euro switch) sell for $258.12 plus shipping.
LH Foglamp $71.28
RH Foglamp $71.28
LH Fog Bracket $17.70
RH Fog Bracket $17.70
LH Fog Grille $39.60
RH Fog Grille $39.60
Mounting Screws (Qty 4) $0.24 EACH

The install was fairly easy. At the time the oem harness was unavailable, it was also pricey. I didn't want to wait for the harness to be available and didn't want to pay the price VW was asking for the harness. Instead, I made my own harness and wired it up like a normal set of auxiliary lamps. The relay and primary wires only cost me a few dollars. Having them programmed to work as cornering lights wasn't that important to me. Also, I just used a rocker switch hidden under the dash. Most of you would probably think this is a ghetto setup but my fog lights work and I'm happy it didn't cost me a fortune :)!
Link to the merchant? Are you running a relay so that you don't burn out the rocker switch contact points? 110w at 12 volts is a lot of amps on a switch.

Antgli

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
Link to the merchant? Are you running a relay so that you don't burn out the rocker switch contact points? 110w at 12 volts is a lot of amps on a switch.
Yep, I'm runnng a 30 amp relay, 20 amp fuse and 14gauge wires. The H8 bulbs in the fogs are only 35W.

The merchant I dealt with was Bud Klemp. He works for Dean McCrary Auto Group. He's always posting at the other VW forum. I also picked up an oem painted rear lip spoiler from him for $190. His prices are really reasonable.

His contact info is
bklemp@deanmccrary.com
1-800-304-3326 ext 3465