2006 Jetta TDI BRM Turbo Actuator Replacement

REEDBR

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
I'm a newbie and hoping i got the correct forum for this question.

I've got a 2006 Jetta TDI engine code BRM, 5 spd manual trans. The entire car turbo and all are stock. I started hearing air/vacuum leak coming from the engine compartment. This was about 1 year after I had major engine repair. I lost two valves, and the camshaft at 117,000 miles then about 150,000 miles this actuator started leaking. The car now has 170,000 miles on it.

Regarding the air/vacuum leak I noticed the car didn't seem to have much power until about 1,800 rpm then you could feel it pull really hard. After the 1,800 rpm range the leak seemed to be less. Upon investigation I could feel air leaking from around the waste gate actuator rod. I looked for a replacement actuator then decided to wait due to the high cost of the turbo and began some searching which is how I found your forum and some threads about the actuators.

I know the engine code is BRM but I have no idea what the turbo is. I'm not even sure if there are multiple manufacturers in 2006 for the turbos. I saw mention of Borg Warner and Garrett in the thread but don't know if that was the turbo or actuator or both.

Anyone know how I can find out which one?

Anyone know how I can find out if the actuator works on vacuum or pressure? I'm kinda thining pressure since I can feel air blowing around the actuator rod.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Vacuum operated.
At least one person reported fixing an actuator rod seal leak on a BRM on this website. He took it apart and put an oring seal around the shaft.
There are no aftermarket actuators available, sometimes you can find used ones.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
If you do an advanced search in this section you'll find that someone recently sourced a replacement CR actuator and even more recently another member successfully implemented it on a BRM. Is much cheaper than a full BRM turbo assembly.

To diagnose your actuator, just put a vacuum pump on it.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You are correct. I forgot. You can buy and modify the mount for a Common Rail turbo actuator, which are available.

It almost sounded to me as if he was feeling exhaust from this vane control shaft lever.

Perhaps he needs to check to see if he needs to adjust the vane lever stop set screw?

If we knew where Ripley was, we might be able to suggest some local help, or find a VCDS owner that would help out.

I do agree that he needs to do more diagnosis.

Salmonbum

TDI
'06 Jetta
I think I need an actuartor on my BRM (202k). I watched the arm and its not moving when throttle is applied. Anyone in Michigan wanna tackle this?

BioJetta2001

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
I think I'm having the same problem with my 2006 BRM. I seem not to have any power under 1800 and then I have more power. The cam is already replaced, and has been inspected. Does anyone have a step by step I can follow to test the Vane Actuator with a vacuum pump?

Thank you for your help

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
Have someone start the car and see if the actuator rod pushes down upon car start...if not, then pull the vaccum hose off the actuator and using a vaccum gage, see if you have vaccum with the engine idling. If you do have vaccum, the N75 is good and the actuator is toast. idparts just started selling the actuators last week (they weren't available before that) see link below. Also, with your exhaust is noticably louder if your actuator is toast.

http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3218

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Just incase one did not see before posting by scrichy84, idparts just started selling the actuators at a cost of $279.00

jay.sejkora2011

TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2009 Jetta Sportwagen,2006 Jetta- sold, 2006 Jetta- sold, 2001 Jetta-sold
Just incase one did not see before posting by scrichy84, idparts just started selling the actuators at a cost of $279.00
It's now up to 369:eek:

Anyone have a solid set of instruction for a DIY install? About to make a long distance cross country trip and I would prefer not to let this slide until afterwards.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's now up to 369:eek:
That $279 price was nearly four years ago. There's a fair amount of fabrication and labor in swapping the bracket. And the actuator is subject to VW's parts pricing, which often changes, sometimes significantly.

If you have more than 150K on your turbo it may be more cost-effective to replace the turbo.

overdoz73

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Actuator

My mechanic says the actuator is bad and that he cannot find one and that it is better to change out entire turbo, i had put new turbo on at about 90,000 miles ago, do you think i should just change it out

Moe_mkvtdi

TDI
Mkv jetta
The same thing happened to me and honestly it's better to do the turbo swap because just to take the actuator off is a pain in the ass. It is pretty pricey but it's better to swap out the whole thing. I replaced the actuator and after everything was done it ran for about 100 miles and then the turbo blew up so I had to do all that work again.