Are you from Jersey? I'm from Jersey! What exit?!

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Are you from Jersey? I\'m from Jersey! What exit?!

Holy smokes, I really did it! Moved the family from Vermont to New Jersey! (Haddonfield, which is near Cherry Hill.) Goodbye skiing, hello big hair!

We moved down on Saturday, and today the moving truck arrived and the movers have started unloading. I'm in the local library now with my 2 kids, and my wife is directing the movers.

There is a Catholic church across the street from where we live. This morning I heard the unmistakable sounds of a diesel engine, and yes indeedy, a B4 Passat Variant TDI pulled into the church.
I didn't get a chance to say hello to the people in it--hopefully they are regulars.

Can anyone recommend a good source of diesel fuel in the Cherry Hill area? How about a good independent VW shop? Anybody have any experiences with Cherry Hill VW?

I'll be on-line only intermittenly for the next few weeks, so I may not respond to this thread promptly.

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: rgoetz ]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Re: Are you from Jersey? I\'m from Jersey! What exit?!

Sniff, sniff, no one loves me.

justme

Veteran Member

I'm just too sad for you to post. I had a hard time moving from VT to NH, and not even southern NH.

My parents live in NJ, I go there sometimes, there are lots of cars.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: oldpoopie ]</p>

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

Oh S**T!!! NJ??? Which Exit? Rob!I know we
discussed this before but...... Don't try crossing the street in Jersey like you did in Vermont They wii run you over then back to finish the job!

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: tomo366 ]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

Hey, you know what, this ain't so bad after all.

I just finished playing my first gig with the Haddonfield town band. (I play tenor sax.) My wife and our 2 kids went to the shore today, with my wife's friend from high school & her husband, who live in Philly.

I've found the people here to be very friendly and welcoming, if a bit on the loud side (unlike New Englanders, who are reserved and polite).

Not to mention that I can get good Jewish deli and great Italian food.

After 1 week here, I feel very much at home.

Tomo--it's Exit 4 off the Turnpike.

justme

Veteran Member

It's true that the people there are friendly, a nice thing for sure. I find the people in northern New England can be cold and reserved to a fault. I've come to see that as normal though.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rgoetz:
Can anyone recommend a good source of diesel fuel in the Cherry Hill area? How about a good independent VW shop? Anybody have any experiences with Cherry Hill VW?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about good fuel, but you'll certainly find cheap fuel in your new area. My sister lives in Maple Shade and I always make a point to fill up when I visit! It's usually at least 35 cents cheaper than up in NY/CT...

I had an engine installed in my B1 by a shop near Burlington / Florence (I don't remember exactly where - near NJTP exit 5). They knew what they were doing for the most part. They, as I recall, had "volks" in their name somewhere.

Hope this helps!

jdonsbach

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI, silver/black

Rob - gotta have some Taylor ham with breakfast.

Jeff D - former Jersey boy (Morris County).

Oh, and it's "down the shore".

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: jdonsbach ]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

"Down" the shore. Got it.

But I'll have to skip that Taylor ham, good as it may be.

Rob

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI

BMW Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 01 and 03 Jetta tdi's

Not in Philly, and south Jersey. Down there It's "Taylor Ham", "Pork Roll is a Northern PA, thing that found It's way into the north Jersey vernacular.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI

justme

Veteran Member

I had a few years of elementary school basically in Trenton. I had mercifully forgotten about pork roll. It all comes back now like the wet kiss at the end of a cold fist.

tdibugman

Veteran Member

Welcome to Jersey. As you will soon find out, it's MUCH more than the Turnpike. I'm exit 88 off the Garden State Parkway.
The Highlands/Skylands are beautiful (the water gap, High Point, etc) as well as the Shore - miles of spotless beaches! Atlantic City, too, for an occasional "run". Check out the Cape May Zoo, the Wildwoods, Island Beach State Park (miles of undeveloped beachfront). Drive down Route 539, from I-195 to Tuckerton. the only Pygmy Pine Forest in the world, and in Tukerton is the new Seaport. And don;t forget the aquarium in Camden.
BTW - the cheapest diesel you'll probably ever see is actually on the turnpike - the cost of the fuel is subsidized by the tolls!!!
Lived here al my short life, and after travelling all over the world, I can say that, mile for mile, nothin' beats Jersey!!!
(And if want exciting, wait until this falls Governors Race!)

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

My sister lives in Pacanac Lake. I was stationed in Picatinny Arsenal. I was born in Brooklyn.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently

I was wondering how the diesel on the Turnpike was so cheap.

My family & I went down the shore yesterday (Harvey Cedars, on Long Beach Island). My wife's parents have a share at a beach house there. I hadn't been to the beach all summer; it was a pleasure to play in the waves with my daughter and in the sand with my son.

Two weeks after I left my old job in Vermont there was a round of layoffs there. I would have been canned. Fortunately, I saw it coming last spring, and started a job search rather than wait for the ax to fall. There just aren't many jobs in Vermont for what I do. I'm very pleased to have found my new job in New Jersey.

Whew! That was close! No regrets now!

Rob

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: rgoetz ]