No more Diesel for US from VW

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
*SIGHE* Not really surprised by this. VW's troubles due to the Dieselgate scandal are far from over and VW has already been hinting at an EV future.

I will continue to own and drive only diesel vehicles, just not from VW. Gassers are not an option at all with my driving around 1k miles/week. Whatever I own and drive HAS to be diesel powered. If anything, the Dieselgate scandal has only strengthened my resolve to continue to own only diesel vehicles. I already moved away from VW to BMW Advanced Diesel :cool: a couple of years ago having nothing to do with the Dieselgate scandal.

Good luck.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That is sad news. VW shouldn't have pissed in the cheerios.

Bert3734

TDI
2013 JSW
Very unfortunate news.

Assuming this will affect the unsold 2015's on the lots (like the one I have a deposit on) ...

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
With a VW buy back in mind, I've been looking a MB Bluetec Diesels or a older Gas powered car to replace my '15 Golf TDI. (2005-2007 year range)

I found that some MB Diesels have had serious motor failures due to improper oil use and domestic cars I looked at (Buick and Caddy) have electrical issues and other problems, in addition to unacceptable fuel mileage in the high teens. My Golf TDI averages 51MPG highway, 36 City average.

Sooooooooo, I'm now leaning toward keeping the TDI and go with the "fix", plus cash.

I spoke with my local VW dealer "Dieselgate" rep who told me the "fix" program would give me 2/3 of the cash upfront and rest after getting the "fix".

That sound about right??

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Nothing unrealistic about it. VW cheated brazenly.
For many years most auto manufacturers "Fudged" the EPA fuel mileage numbers on new cars. I don't recall any car company getting fined for that practice.

I believe the EPA simply told them: "Don't do it again".

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
For many years most auto manufacturers "Fudged" the EPA fuel mileage numbers on new cars. I don't recall any car company getting fined for that practice.

I believe the EPA simply told them: "Don't do it again".
Yeah, the hundreds of millions Hyundai paid was a simple verbal reprimand?

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
VW diesels will soon be relegated to the dust bin of history. As I presume this place will be too.

If this board didn't go out of its way to limit talk and sharing of info on the biggest thing ever about VW and diesels - diesel gate and what VW was doing about it, it sure looked that way.

As someone who bought his first VW diesel in 1982 and has one sitting out front today, I hate losing what was a pretty good vehicle. But, when you intentionally cheat govt regs and get caught, its gonna cost you. I said the day the story broke "that's it for VW diesels in this country." And it was.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
VW diesels will soon be relegated to the dust bin of history. As I presume this place will be too.
Don't tell that to the Mk III, IV, etc, forums.
If this board didn't go out of its way to limit talk and sharing of info on the biggest thing ever about VW and diesels - diesel gate and what VW was doing about it, it sure looked that way.
You wouldn't say that after reading threadzilla.
As someone who bought his first VW diesel in 1982 and has one sitting out front today, I hate losing what was a pretty good vehicle. But, when you intentionally cheat govt regs and get caught, its gonna cost you. I said the day the story broke "that's it for VW diesels in this country." And it was.
Then why lose your TDI? If you like it, get the fix and drive on.
There.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
It's going to be interesting to see the values of pre-common rail cars in coming days.
I wonder if it's the same thing in Canada, 'no more VW diesels'.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Wow, I just got this from my son on VW pulling out of US market on diesels.

My first though was the re sale value of these lower mileage diesels just increased a minimum of 15%.
Anyone who is a die hard diesel fan and in the market for a reasonably priced commuter car has very few options .
Admittedly BMW are in the market along with MB, but that market shuts out a number of entry level deplorable's... myself included :)

Audi have the A3 platform . Basically a VW . Not sure if they were impacted.

I sold my converted 5 speed Passat last year at 285k miles and switched to MB.

Got a deal on low mileage 2008 V6 Bluetec for wifey and I commute in a 1998 e300 Turbodiesel.

Anyways too bad this transpired. I'm not going to get into pissing match on emmissions but the newer diesels in Europe are getting 60 plus MPG.
Admittedly that's the imperial gallon slightly bigger.

Takeaway ..... your diesel VW just got more valuable.
My two pennies.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and safe motoring to all travelers .

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Sad news. We've lost the best cars VW produced due to unrealistic demands by our government.
I beg to differ: Other car makers are able to meet the legal emission requirements in the U.S. VW's problem is they got caught breaking the law and are now covered with TAR. So they are trying to run away from their problem and claim a "new" Clean image.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
If other car makers are able to meet the legal emission requirements as you claim why did they suddenly decide to exit the US market?

If their cars met standards and VW diesels were removed from the market BMW and MB should have been able to expand their diesel sales significantly.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
If other car makers are able to meet the legal emission requirements as you claim why did they suddenly decide to exit the US market?

If their cars met standards and VW diesels were removed from the market BMW and MB should have been able to expand their diesel sales significantly.
Except you can't touch a new BMW diesel south of $40,000, a price you could nearly get 2 VW diesels for, and you can't even get a MB anymore, but they were north of 40-50k as well when they were here.

You could get a 25k cruze, and it felt every bit of the 10k car it was.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Perhaps it will result in one of the Japanese manufactures to import or build their diesels in the USA. But, given what the US government did to VW, I doubt it.

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
Perhaps it will result in one of the Japanese manufactures to import or build their diesels in the USA. But, given what the US government did to VW, I doubt it.
You mean what VW did to themselves.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
Except you can't touch a new BMW diesel south of $40,000, a price you could nearly get 2 VW diesels for, and you can't even get a MB anymore, but they were north of 40-50k as well when they were here.

You could get a 25k cruze, and it felt every bit of the 10k car it was.
No argument from me here. MB's and BMW's prices are not for everyone and their routine maintenance expenses are legendary.

Agree also with the value of a Cruze.

The VW TDI was everyman's turbo diesel automobile. It's the "people's car" to quote the infamous German dictator.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, no question about it. But VW's TDIs got in the way of our soon to be departed "leader's" preference for electric golf carts.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi

Welcome to Pennocks Fiero Forum. Choices and consequences and I am not just talking about what VW did ........

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Heres to keeping mine on the road for the next couple decades.
I second that. I figure I easily have another 300K miles available to me on my two ALHs. And another 100K in the B4 if I want. And then there's the Mercedes, which if I don't let it rust will probably outlast all of them.

I had a Rabbit Diesel back in the late 70s when no one knew what a small diesel car was. May be back in that world again in a few years.

SkiRep

TDI
2004 Golf GLS, 5 speed, ESP, Cold Weather Package, Splash Guardsd
So has VW announced a strategy for dealing with the 12,000 unsold units sitting on dealer lots? A sophisticated fix needed to get through CARB regulations appears unlikely. Will VW ship them to China or Bolivia or perhaps roll them off a cliff?

Status
Not open for further replies.