Glow plugs

Classic

TDI
2013 beetle convertible
I recently acquired a 2013 TDI Beetle... No where on the dash cluster is the display for the glow plugs. We are having a heck of a time starting in cold (below freezing) weather. In the manual there is a reference to them but again nothing on the dash cluster. Am I missing something?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
The manual should have a picture of the instrument cluster with all the warning/info indicators pointed out - that doesn't show where it should appear?

Classic

TDI
2013 beetle convertible
I've scoured the book for a photo of the page...the only reference to the glow plugs is in the starting procedure... I'd show a photo of the page but I don't know how to attach a picture on this forum.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The preglow lamp should come on when you turn the key on no matter what, hot or cold... just the length of time it stays on will vary based on how cold the coolant is.

So you are saying the lamp NEVER comes on? That is not right, something is wrong. I'd ask the engine controller, as it communicates with the glow controller, and see if a fault is present.

Classic

TDI
2013 beetle convertible
Thanks for the words of wisdom...yes that as well as turning off all power draw before trying to start. Still curious about the lack of glow plugs indicator on the dash.

Classic

TDI
2013 beetle convertible
Thanks all...the glow indicator light DOES com on... Silly me. I will take the advice to shut off ALL accessories before trying to start.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
is it just an issue starting due to no glow plug warming time or is it sluggish to start after warming the plugs after 30 seconds?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am in Texas so not really cold here. That light comes on and goes out really fast here, even when the temp has been down to the 30's. You have to be looking for it or you will miss it. Here anyway.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Scan for DTC's (Fault codes). A local parts house will do this for you for free. Just don't buy garbage Chinese parts for your Dub from them. My best guess, look for a DTC relating to the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) which does regulate glow time.

Even if the dash temp gauge appears to read correctly, still scan for DTC's.