Answers to using the TDIClub Chat Room

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I am in there almost nightly. its usually a fun read. and theres good TDI questions & answers occasionally too..

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Suggestion/Request

:)

Why can't the time to make corrections and changes be lengthened for a
couple of more minutes? Two minutes for this old duffer is not enough!

When you are older and never learned to type properly, any extra time would be appreciated.

Thanks for considering my request.

Regards,

:D

D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
When you get booted out, you can always pick a different name.

I'm assuming you picked a name that's already in use, or something?

Unfortunately, I don't believe that setting can be changed, though. Wasteland (the network that #tdiclubchat is on) is run by different people from #tdiclubchat, and what you're talking about is a server setting.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Just to compliment what Tooef said; TDIClub and TDIClub chat are two separate and autonomous entities that only share a common name.

Every once in a while someone will use the TDIClub support email about a problem with TDIClub chat. Sorry, we can't help you with that one.

:)

bhtooefr said:
Wasteland (the network that #tdiclubchat is on) is run by different people from #tdiclubchat, and what you're talking about is a server setting.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We are changing chat servers!

Please reconfigure your IRC client to use irc.tdicommunity.com. Port 6667 for plain-text or 6697 for SSL. We'll be in #TDIClub.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yes the IRC channel is still quite active. :)

http://www.tdiclub.com/chat

You might want to bookmark that link for when Fred upgrades the forum software to Xenforo. When that happens, expect a weekend-long outage of the TDIClub forums. :eek:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
sorry for the seemingly luddite question, what are irc channels? actually by most today I may qualify under that category.
IRC - internet relay chat. Hardly anyone uses it anymore, at least compared to its popularity in the mid to late 90s, hence my original question.

Definitely, it's one of the more active IRC channels I'm in.
So what are the IRC rules? And is dieselgate or off-topic stuff, such as that on threadzilla, discussed?

Now I need to find a good CLI IRC client for Linux or Solaris...

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Dieselgate isn't talked about that much, the channel is largely off-topic (but TDI discussion certainly happens) - a past slogan (and /topic) for the channel was "20% TDI, 110% WT*" (annoyingly, whiskey tango foxtrot is censored on these forums). Some of us don't even own TDIs any more.

There's also a few other channels on the same server, #ev being a channel for discussion of electric and electrified vehicles (which a few of us either own or have deposits on).

And as far as CLI clients, the big ones nowadays are irssi and weechat. Run in a tmux for maximum fun! (Or just use a znc instance to stay connected - I use both a znc and tmux+irssi for reasons. And I find screen to be unreliable.) Or, if you want to go for maximum Unix, there's always ii.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The web chat does appear to be down, but you can directly connect using an IRC client, using the information on that page.