Tech-Session Topics -Feeler Thread

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Hello everyone!
Fest is quickly coming upon us and as we're hammering out the details of this fine event we came upon the need to finalize our Tech Sessions. However, before we did that we thought we'd ask for some input from our peers.

Here's a little background info:
Tech Sessions (also known as Breakout Sessions) are short informational demonstrations held during TDIFest and generally presented at staggered times throughout the day on Saturday. These informational sessions are usually graciously provided by TDIClub guru's who attend and are willing to volunteer their time and knowledge to talk to you about certain "hot topics" regarding our cars or by Vendor/Product contacts with specific information. The topics are usually pre-chosen by the TDIFest committee or by the guru's who are asked to present. But this year we decided to handle it a little differently.

Time and resources are limited at TDIFest. TDIFest is not a wrenching GTG and some topics may be too complicated to be covered. This thread is meant to get some feedback from everyone
, but please understand that we are only selecting a few (5 or less) topics to be covered during that time.

This year's committee has come up with the following list of possible topics (please feel free to second the motion or post a new idea):
Brakes
Diesel Fuel Injection Service (DFIS)
Removal/Install of ECU
HID's
Fixing Smal IP leaks
Electrical Systems -relays
Nozzle Upgrades
Vag-com 101
Home Brew Bio
WVo/Grease Car
PD Crankshaft
Balance shaft Upgrades
Fluid Flushes
MK-Headlight replacement
Intake Cleaning

So, please, tell us... What would YOU like to learn more about at TDIFest? :confused::)

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Trans-continental drives, intravenous caffeination, and coping with sleep deprivation?
If time permits, add in "Depends or Catheterization: pros and cons".:eek:

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
I would be able to help out with bio and WVO, could bring my van in with story board I am putting together for Sol-West convention in John Day in August.

Otherwise I like what I see.

Last edited:

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
damn, now i'm going to have to go register a few more accounts and have them all vote bio too ;)

Carl Ulli

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (My Daughter's now); 2012 Highline Jetta TDI; 2012 Golf Wagon
An intake cleaning demo would be fabulous to see, and would it make sense to clean out the exhaust from all that soot that may be collected in there from all the years of driving. I'm sure most of it is blown through but I am wondering if the exhaust system does get a bit congested over time.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
How about R&R and adjustment of a VNT actuator?

I'll second basic maintenance items, even something as basic as an oil change, air filter change, and fuel filter change. Those of us who have been doing oil changes since we were 12 don't need the help, but Newbies and not-so-newbies might like to see how to properly do an oil change without draining the ATF or differential. Plus, a fuel filter can be a little tricky the first time.

GP troubleshooting and R&Ring?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Adjustment of VNT actuator is a great idea! With R/R thrown in for old frozen up units, that covers a lot of potential problems on MKIV's. Good idea!

Blackberry

TDI
2010 Golf 4 door
I don't know how many others might come, but what about a "Getting to Know Your TDI" session for newbies? Not only where all these parts are on your vehicle or how to make adjustments but why you need to maintain them.

Or maybe a review of the aftermarket equipment and why you might or might not want them. I have no idea what a shifter or different muffler would do for me.

Last edited:

4u2do

TDI
2002 Jetta
Since these cars all have turbo's a good class on how far you can go with repairs would be great and associated indications of problems.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I'll vote for a general "get to know your Tdi" session where everyday issues are covered, turbo lifespan and lifespans of various components discussed, what kinds of problems to watch out for on various MY's...

Phillip, I'd love to see you do a VNT adjustment session. It could help a lot of people.

I would like to sit on a home-brew biodiesel panel and offer chemistry insights. I don't do homebrew sadly, as I don't have garage or time, so I can't help much with details of plumbing. But I am a professional chemist and I can model the reaction and point out some highlights and insights that a lot of people could benefit from.

So if there's a 3 person panel with the others presenting some of the 'how to' info on how they set put their rigs together, etcetera, that would be cool if I could join in and answer chemical questions. In my experience, this reaction is very poorly understood by the vast majority of so-called experts, and there are pitfalls to avoid if you understand it better--and your product quality and consistency will increase hugely.

I would address reaction basics, step-wise reactions, and show some engineering insights on how to make nature work with you, instead of trying to beat your biodiesel into submission with brute force, like a lot of people are want to do.

If there is any interest in this idea please let me know and we can put together a syllabus. Also, if people would put lists of what questions/concerns and areas of learning they'd like in a biodiesel session, that would really rock.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I vote for Vag-Com 101, and also 102 (or 201, whatever). IOW, VCDS basics and more advanced VCDS functions (like logging and graphing).

Have Fun!

Don

grcarlo

TDI
09 Jetta
Fest Ideas

A get to know your TDI would be good... Which main engine components are which, easy general maintenance under the hood and around the car, and maybe how to check for signs of problems (fluid leaks, cracked timing belt, etc.) General maintenace is good for everyone at all skill levels and would be perfect for the event. General maintenance ideas....Fluids flush/change, fuel filter change, oil change, cabin filter change, ventectomy, cleaning sunroof drains, brake changes, lubricating hinges, seat removals for cleaning, replacing interior/exterior bulbs, skid plate removal/install...

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
how about schedule 30 min with a guru to look over concerns with my car.

I'd even donate 25/50/$100 to TDI fest to get 1-on-1 with a guru for 15/30/60 min to get opinions on certain aspects of my car and future maintenance plans.

cheers

Lug_Nut

TDI
What!?! It's a B5.5 TDI. You are hoping for a positive opinion?

:p

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I got a "Tech Session" idea ....

"The Clicking in my Dashboard is driving me Crazy..." :eek:

On the other hand...

I do like the Vag-Com sessions, maybe they could be split up (or have more than one session), say like:

Vag-Com for Beginners (those just getting into it or are afraid to mess up)

Intermediate Vag-Com (for more experienced persons that want to learn more)

Just a thought.

MrVermin

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Here's our current list of Tech Session Topics, for those interested.
* Stripped glow Plugs
* Wiring Diagrams
* Intake Cleaning (A4)
* Injection Pump Seal Replacement
* PD Lifter Checks

it is subject to change, but as things get ironed out, we'll continue to update.
Hope to see you there! :D

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Here's our current list of Tech Session Topics, for those interested.
* Stripped glow Plugs
* Wiring Diagrams
* Intake Cleaning (A4)
* Injection Pump Seal Replacement
* PD Lifter Checks

it is subject to change, but as things get ironed out, we'll continue to update.
Hope to see you there! :D

Really? ....... I would have gone with the fundamentals of Air Conditioning & rehab/troubleshooting problems as it applies across a broader spectrum of tdi models and thus more owners ...... and it is still hot out there.

Lug_Nut

TDI
She may have missed your offer to volunteer your time and knowledge to expound on such an important subject.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
She may have missed your offer to volunteer your time and knowledge to expound on such an important subject.
Sorry Lug Nut, I thought this was an open thread requesting ideas for possible topics for the betterment of those that are able to attend the West Coast Fest. In that spirit, I made a suggestion and was not looking to provoke responses like yours.

Lug_Nut

TDI
The thread was started back in June with that specific intent, but this close to the event is a bit late to be criticising the subjects chosen and saying that other subjects would be more appropriate.
The subject you suggested is fine. The timing of your suggestion could have been better.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
The organizers are working hard and doing a good job.

However, if anyone wants to step forward and offer a comprehensive topic, I'll happily give you my slot.

I'd love to stand back, watch, and kvetch.