LED license plate lights

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
I need a set of those, but my pockets aren't that deep pockets for something I will barely see.

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Dumb question (and really, not intended to start flames), but what purpose does upgrading these lights serve? Just (almost) never having to change out a bulb?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Raw,

These are the same exact lights found on the one of the new Jetta's (I can't remember if it is GLI or Hybrid). But yes, they will work on your Jetta.

JCK, No offense taken. But yeah, there is that and a few other reasons.

I am a tech junkie. I love LED's because they are so much more efficient (just like my TDI). They make more light, while consuming less power.

Which is the same reason I just spent about $1,200 to upgrade to the LED taillights and HID/LED headlights. See better and be seen better.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I am a tech junkie. I love LED's because they are so much more efficient (just like my TDI). They make more light, while consuming less power.

Which is the same reason I just spent about $1,200 to upgrade to the LED taillights and HID/LED headlights. See better and be seen better.
Same here. I'm slowly trying to convert my ol' Dodge to all LED bulbs. There's just something cool knowing that there's more power available for other components. The white light given is crisp and a being higher on the color temp scale, produces a natural/pure white color.

rawcpoppa

TDI
Jetta TDI
Seeing that Vw detects a low power draw as a bulb out one has to put resistors to fool the canbus into detecting a bulb being present yes?

If yes doesn't the resistor waste as much current as a halogen bulb you intend to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Seeing that VW detects a low power draw as a bulb out one has to put resistors to fool the canbus into detecting a bulb being present yes? No. Mods to the BCM (Body Control Module) through VCDS can correct the "bulb out" indication. If in the scenario that you don't have access to VCDS and want LEDs that bad then, yes, resistors would be necessary.

If yes doesn't the resistor waste as much current as a halogen bulb you intend to replace? Yes because the resistor simulates the load of a standard/incandescent bulb.
My response in red.

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I'm a fan of the older method of "bulb out" indication: walk around the car and observe every now and then.

I find this is good for tire pressure monitoring too! :)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Hehe :) At least the new cars tell you which lamp is out. Older systems just threw a general bulb failure and you had to guess which one the system was grumpy about.

-J

SilverMerkur

TDI
Now: 2014 Passat TDI 6M; Then: 2009 Jetta TDI 6M - Loyal Edition
Hi...

My name's Robert, and I am a technology addict.

That said, I found Vw has some LED license plate lights that I have been thinking about installing on my '13 Passat. They're pricey buggers, but they are OEM, DOT approved, should have better output than a bulb replacement LED, and should last longer.

The part number is 3AF-943-021-A. At almost $45 EACH that's a hard pill to swallow... But they appear to be a direct fit with only some minor VCDS coding required to keep the bulb out light from rearing it's ugly head.

Hello Robert, it appears that you have given VW a great idea....

As I get to learn more about my '14 Passat, once of the things I have noticed is that VW has not only added a backup camera, but has also switched to or installed the very same lights (part #) on my car. It appears to be another undocumented change for the new year.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Neat! I still want to pick up a set of these eventually.

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
Hey guys getting ready to test a set of LED license plate bulbs for our car and a set of LED DRL's for those of us who are still running the factory headlight assemblies. I will post pics and DIY instructions once I'm complete.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Link to which bulbs you plan on using? We tried LED DRLs from superbrightleds and abandoned the idea shortly thereafter... hopefully you've come across something better.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Link to which bulbs you plan on using? We tried LED DRLs from superbrightleds and abandoned the idea shortly thereafter... hopefully you've come across something better.
I put in a pair of these from SBL: WLED-x13-CBT: 194 CAN Bus LED Bulb in natural white. No issues and fit into the springy lamp holder.

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
I agreed to test some out from DeAutoKey.com. It will be a couple of weeks before I get them as they are waiting to finish them.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hey Robert, bumping this thread because we picked up a set of LED license plates (Chinese knockoffs) and they're way too bright... not really happy with them. So, I'm considering the OEM ones that you have.

It looks to me like you installed the lights backwards. I think the black strip is supposed to be towards the back, which would allow the lenses to project the light towards the tag rather than away from it. Just thought I'd mention it - you'll probably get more light on the tags if you flip them around (perhaps you don't want more light on the tag).

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Certainly a possibility.

I will check a '14 Passat when I get to work tomorrow and see where the black strip is located.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh that's right, the 14s come with them! Has the price come down any since you started carrying these?

whitevdub

TDI
2012 TDi SE
I purchased the LED license plate kit from ECS tuning about 1.5 months ago and it installed with minimal effort. IT LOOKS FANTASTIC!! However, last week the left bulb went out and was indicated by a light on the dash. After calling ECS that night I was contacted the following morning with the offer to send another kit with only having to pay $7 shipping. THANKS ECS!!

This is a great product and I hope the new kit resolves the issue.

Will install later this week. Have to remove some hush mat that is covering up some of the wires.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I put in a pair of these from SBL: WLED-x13-CBT: 194 CAN Bus LED Bulb in natural white. No issues and fit into the springy lamp holder.

I didn't even need "canbus". I just got a regular pair of LED 194 bulbs for $5/pair. As soon as I installed them, I got a BOW. I went into the CECM with VAG COM an checked the box for LED plate lights, and boom! No BOW! So far I'm loving how easy and cheap is it to mod my Passat compared to my B7 A4.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
Brought back from the dead files:D

I am going to try these bulbs from pilot, picked them up at oreillys for 13.00 a pair. I want the LEDs but at the lower factory output so we will see how bright these are.

They are IL194W5

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
LED's look trick, I can spot a 14 at night in a second

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I hope these work, they will require VCDS, but will be cheap alternative if they work.:eek:

And love the factory plate lights also.