DPF FILTER out of stock...anyidea on an ETA?

viva la figa

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Took my car in with the usual DPF filter and CEL lights on. Dealer will fortunately cover the repair but they have no parts in stock and no idea on when they will have them.

Has anyone heard when VW will have DPF filters back in stock?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
it took over 2 months for mine. others state it takes up to 6 months. either havce them supply a free loaner. or just keep driving. anything that would fail as a result of the bad dpf is covered. engine, turbo, anything in the exhaust or fuel system.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The more cars go out of warranty, the more this seems like an opportunity for the aftermarket, no?
as long as the ceramic hasnt cracked, the dpf can be cleaned. also many of these are being sold in non-emissions states. so vw knows what we do with them...

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Mine was changed in October; it took about 2 weeks for them to get mine in (and 4 others for waiting customers). I'm in a major metropolitan area though with a lot of pull, but I'm not positive how much that actually affects wait times.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As the cars go out of warranty they will either be scrapped, deleted or used/cleaned ones put on. I doubt any aftermarket mfg will gear up for a diminishing number of cars. Many will be crashed and totaled even before warranty runs out. Out of warranty cars still on the road will be pretty old and/or high mileage cars with little book value. Just my belief.

viva la figa

TDI
2010 sportwagon
The dealer told me they have no idea when parts will be available "world wide back order"

I got a free loaner but I want my car back asap! Does anyone know who I could call at VW that can track down the parts? The dealer is not exactly inspiring confidence

dmikucki

TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
Yup- same here in Boston-"nation wide backorder". initially brought my car in for cracked DPF in November. Had to fight for a loaner but took over 2 months for the parts to come in and officially got the car back 1/31/20.

viva la figa

TDI
2010 sportwagon
Its been a month and a half.....still no idea or updates on parts availability. Anyone "inside the system" have any more info?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
No? ANYONE?
they are backordered nation wide bud. your on a list. demand has overwhelmed the supply. as soon as they are in stock they are put on vehicles. They dont have a stock. all you can do is call the dealer and ask how far down the list you are. If your motor blows... they have to replace it. just drive it. it took over 2 months for mine to come in. and calling all the time and complaining will not get you further up the list. just call and ask what number in line you are. they normally get a shipment monthly. its NOT an ON-HAND part.

Last edited:

Tdiforme2

TDI
2012 Jetta 6 speed manual
111500mi, I happen to be in Wisconsin metro emissions area so no delete possible, I have continuing P0401, just in shop other day they replaced exhaust flap, but code came right back. They said DPF on backorder and should look at replacing car soon, before warranty up. Yes, this is convenient for VW to drag feet on support hoping they will sell some more new vehicles. Problem I see is I am not going to jump back into any VW now with that kind of support!

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Its been a month and a half.....still no idea or updates on parts availability. Anyone "inside the system" have any more info?
Listen man, I work for a major worldwide automotive parts manufacturer. We dont supply DPF's for VW but the following applies for nearly all oem suppliers. Demand has significantly outpaced supply in this instance, there is no big ass warehouse anywhere with piles of these parts sitting around. Parts that arent moving cost whoever is holding them money. Everybody operates just-in-time manufacturing meaning parts are made when they are needed and not before, in my facility the parts we make today are built into vehicles tomorrow, sometimes within hours. We have to run at or above 85% operating efficiency to keep up with our customers if they are running well, if we shut them down they charge us $32,000 per minute that they are down waiting on us. NOW if we have orders for replacement (i.e. service) parts we have to fit that into the regular production schedule. If that order is for an old revision level part (i.e. for your 2014 car and we are building 2020my parts.) we may have to shut a line down for minor retooling to make that service run and then stop and retool again to run normal production. All of this costs time that we usually don't have so these service parts are many times delayed because regular production always trumps service parts. The penalties for delayed service parts are far less than the $32k per minute price tag of shutting down our customers assembly line. NOW throw 3 month long COVID shutdown into the mix and the resulting slow ramp up and and oem's chomping at the bit to get their facilities back up to 100% capacity and that means service production is a back burner item for EVERYBODY. That doesn't mean we don't care, my facility prides itself on or 100% on time completion for service orders with both of our customers for over a year now but Im trying to illustrate how once behind its nigh impossible to catch up.

So with all that said, chill, your parts will be ready when they are made nothing can be done to speed up the process, there is no lazy warehouse guy holding up the works and not getting these out. If they gave you a car to drive you are one of the lucky ones and enjoy keeping the miles off of yours, if they didn't, drive it, if other things break they will have to fix them and you'll have a bunch of new parts when its said and done. The dealer doesn't know anything until they get a tracking number and they are on a list just like you are. VWoA has little to no power in this situation either. So take a deep breath and chill...

Last edited:

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Yeah. Sheds a lot of light on the subject. I was thinking that since a lot of new car production was slowing down, some manufacturers would divert resources to profitable older-model vehicles

My DPF was declared "failed" yesterday.

I am being told 4-6 weeks for backorder. 1 other car currently on the lot (passat) that is waiting for a DPF.

2013 JSW
6SPD MT
38,300 miles on car
9,800 miles post-fix

NOTES:
I do use 2oz OptiLube XL fuel additive (did not tell dealer) each fill up
Oil is VW 507.00 spec Motul Xclean 8100 5W-30. Changed at 6,000 miles since purchase. Now just over 3,500 miles on that oil.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. Sheds a lot of light on the subject. I was thinking that since a lot of new car production was slowing down, some manufacturers would divert resources to profitable older-model vehicles

My DPF was declared "failed" yesterday.

I am being told 4-6 weeks for backorder. 1 other car currently on the lot (passat) that is waiting for a DPF.

2013 JSW
6SPD MT
38,300 miles on car
9,800 miles post-fix

NOTES:
I do use 2oz OptiLube XL fuel additive (did not tell dealer) each fill up
Oil is VW 507.00 spec Motul Xclean 8100 5W-30. Changed at 6,000 miles since purchase. Now just over 3,500 miles on that oil.
I wouldnt call TDI's "profitable" especially after dieselgate (especially here in the US). Most of these DPF's are being replaced under warranty which means VW loses money on every single one they have to cover. They still have to pay their supplier to make the damn thing because their people don't work for free. Suppliers won't stay running long after the new car assembly lines shut down. There just isn't enough money in making JUST the service parts and nowhere to put them after they are built (remember there are no big warehouses when you operate just-in-time lean manufacturing). The car companies make most of their money off of new car sales and the interest on financing those sales to buyers. Thats why new vehicle production is priority 1.

Last edited:

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
why cant you run at 100 percent efficiency?
Lots of reasons, robots break down, programming issues, maintenance, weld cap changes, people coming back from break late, people out sick so someone has to run two stations instead of one, training new people, quality issues (sometimes investigating a quality problem requires temporary line stoppages). Operational efficiency is calculated with operators hitting their targets (part placement in a station in a specific time frame) every single time, a second here and there multiplied across 5 to 7 operations on each line adds up fast and eats into OEE. Most operators will have to place 2-4 parts in each station every 45 to 60 seconds, many operators are assigned to operate 2 or 3 stations at a time in a sequence, one wrong step or distraction adds seconds to their times. Some "routine" maintenance operations (like weld cap changes) are calculated into overall OEE at "expected completion times" if the task takes longer then that counts against overall OEE. It is possible to exceed 100% OEE but you need rockstar operators on the line with ZERO mistakes or slow downs or mechanical issues all day. 85% is a difficult goal to achieve, not impossible, but difficult. Even if you took the human element out of the equation you would still comtend with mechanical breakdowns which happen often, even with multi-million dollar machines. I would love to see consistent OEE's over 85% because that means a decent monetary bonus for everyone that works in the plant (in addition to safety bonuses).

Last edited:

GUP

TDI
2013 Beetle
Back order DPF and loaner whining (justifiable, but it's whining)

Same problem here. While coming back from a trip of about 400 miles one way, the engine light and the engine control malfunction symbol popped on. Before we got back, the engine went into what I gather is called "limp mode"; it could not run faster than about 60 on the flat, and going up even a slight grade, it would die to where I had to drop down to 4th gear to finish the grade (it's a six-speed manual). I took it to the dealer; they diagnosed a DPF problem, and no worries it's all covered under the emissions settlement extended warranty. But soon enough, I learned about the huge backorder wait on the DPF. OK; dealerships can't manufacture dpf's, of course I get it.

The court settlement says we're entitled to a loaner - - simple, crystal clear language. For the last 4 weeks, the dealer says, sorry we're all out, you're on the list. Not a problem for that period, because we're working / sheltering from home, not much driving to do (the trip was all within social distancing - self service fuel stops, cabin in the woods, brought all our groceries from home). But now I need a car, the dealership is still footdragging on the loaner. So I shout out to VW Customer care; they reach out to the dealer, promptly for sure. Now, guess what-- the dealer service manager says the car is "driveable", so we shouldn't get a loaner during the backorder period. There was not one mention of that, not one suggestion we could take the car back and use it while it's awaiting the part, during at least six calls with three different personnel at this dealer. Why wouldn't they have told me that? Obvious --The car is NOT driveable. ( I suppose it's possible they haven't bothered to test drive it to see if it's driveable - - it's still a blatant dodge). After I get that response (via a voice mail), now I can't get a return call from Customer care, nor the dealership. (After the voice mail I left them, I might not call me either right away, but being polite does not work with people who do business this way.) I'll post when there are further developments.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Any chance you have a different local dealer with a better service department?

BlueAutoGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I just picked mine up, it took 6 1/2 weeks to get done during which I was provieded an enterprise.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Same story here. 6-1/2 weeks until it was delivered to dealer.

However, I was never given a loaner. :rolleyes: I tried to keep as many miles off of it as possible, but I think I put about 900 miles on it after the light came on.