2011 Jetta TDI Wagon

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
Hello, I just bought a 2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagon about 2 weeks ago from a friends grandmother. The car has 69k miles on it and the radio went out on it this week. It didn't show any signs of failure and one day I got in the car after leaving a doctors appt and I noticed the screen was blank. I've checked all the fused on the side panel and under the hood with everything being good. I understand this is a common problem but if you guys could show me where you're getting your replacements that'd be a big help. Some searches talk about install codes?? I don't want any Chinese copies but would like a new updated OEM radio or a plug & play wiring kit/install kit w/ pioneer radio from Best Buy. All I want is to be able to listen to pandora/Apple Music off of my iPhone as Satellite Radio doesn't interest me at all. Thanks for any help.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Did you try hard reboot? Press the power button and hold it for 10 seconds to 15 seconds. Hopefully this solves your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
Did you try hard reboot? Press the power button and hold it for 10 seconds to 15 seconds. Hopefully this solves your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I tried that several times with no luck. I pulled it and it's the AC revision, fuse wasn't blown either.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
is there a fuse in the back of the radio unit itself? I seem to remember one but that's not likely the issue.
I had a fault that showed up on VCDS 'infotainment bus fault' whatever that was..... so i i found a cheap chinese unit... it was plug and play, minus the rewire for power to get around the fault that likely caused the issue in the first place.
You could try running 12v directly to the radio's power wire, see if it'll light up. taking the unit out and googling the wiring diagram should be an easy try?

Last edited:

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
is there a fuse in the back of the radio unit itself? I seem to remember one but that's not likely the issue.
I had a fault that showed up on VCDS 'infotainment bus fault' whatever that was..... so i i found a cheap chinese unit... it was plug and play, minus the rewire for power to get around the fault that likely caused the issue in the first place.
You could try running 12v directly to the radio's power wire, see if it'll light up. taking the unit out and googling the wiring diagram should be an easy try?
Yea I've already checked that fuse, it looked fine. I'd rather just buy another radio from the Barry guy on here or from eurozonetuning if the ones they're selling has been updated to not have the random self destruction.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
taking the unit out and googling the wiring diagram should be an easy try?
You will need the code after its unplugged! VW made a rule, around 1/2019, that they wont give the codes out unless they pull the radio (@$100+ an hr). Always make a point to write it on the unit. Never buy a VW radio without the security code, its just a paper weight.

With the right harness (maestro, pac...) Kenwood/jvc head units will interface with the MFD.

Last edited:

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
You will need the code after its unplugged! VW made a rule, around 1/2019, that they wont give the codes out unless they pull the radio (@$100+ an hr). Always make a point to write it on the unit. Never buy a VW radio without the security code, its just a paper weight.

With the right harness (maestro, pac...) Kenwood/jvc head units will interface with the MFD.
ahh, i guess the radio code was on a card with our owners manual. i would never have given a thought! Good advice ^.
I ended up getting one today through Barry on here. Him and the other place both provide radio codes.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
In case someone sees this thread with same problem, His screen name here is BarryT82. I bought my radio from him several years back.

I give him a 5 star review. very knowledgeable.

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
In case someone sees this thread with same problem, His screen name here is BarryT82. I bought my radio from him several years back.

I give him a 5 star review. very knowledgeable.
He was very nice and seemed knowledgeable. It's scheduled for delivery tomorrow so shipping was very fast.